Author Topic: Good Ol' Classic Blues Songs  (Read 101390 times)

rahock

• View Profile
Re: Good Ol' Classic Blues Songs
« Reply #900 on: May 17, 2014, 05:13:59 AM »
if you wear panty hose and a wig you can't be a blues guy.

I think this is even mentioned in the bible somewhere ;D.
Rick

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #901 on: May 17, 2014, 06:30:08 AM »
Maybe he didn't wear wigs or panty hose but Kokomo Arnold sings about switch hitting in a dry spell on this one.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #902 on: May 17, 2014, 07:34:43 AM »
I'm going to post one of the most obvious choices - because it still stuns me that Cream took Robert Johnson's "Crossroad" and made it into one of the rock breakthroughs of the 60's.  I think Johnson must have been spinning his grave like a lathe when they released it.  However, I think it's a magnificent musical adaptation.

In this 1968 version of Crossroads, I'm amused by the video "technique" from 2 minutes on - zooming in and out quickly and pulling focus were about the only visual effects that directors had to work with back then.  The quick zooms in the solo are especially annoying.  And as usual, the cameras didn't capture Jack Bruce going nuts on the bass - that guy was all over it!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #903 on: May 17, 2014, 06:15:25 PM »
That Sissy Man blues is also a take on Robert Johnson's I believe I'll dust my broom. Here's ZZ top's take on it.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #904 on: May 18, 2014, 07:30:16 AM »
Maybe he didn't wear wigs or panty hose but Kokomo Arnold sings about switch hitting in a dry spell on this one.

And, on the subject of switch hitting...

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: May 19, 2014, 07:24:38 AM »
I'm not flustered, but I'm mighty irritated at what this thread has become.

Yes, most stadium rock bands were/are influenced by blues. So what? That doesn't make their music classic blues. The DP song you posted is not even remotely close.

I'm done posting in this thread for now. nofi can let me know if it ever gets back on track.

That, dearest Dave, is (to use a technical term) a load of crap. Once you have cooled down scroll back and find the posting where Nofi complained in his reply to a Grand Funk bluesish track being posted how that was almost as preposterous as claiming that Deep Purple played blues once in a while. It was then and only then that I intervened to stop the nonsense and provide - this being the LBO - some facts. I had no intention to derail nor did I derail, I'm actually happy how a thread started by Nofi's longstanding friend Terry has been nurtured by him in Terry's lamentable absence and has now seen the same lucky fate as the Crimean: It's back in good hands.   

You being flustered is down to a dearth of facts and failing to read (and listen).

Never mind ... it does have its benefits ...

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:11:12 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #906 on: May 19, 2014, 05:43:10 PM »
The Grand Funk tune was called I don't have to sing the blues. I wasn't trying to claim it was particularly bluesy. I've been listening to them often lately and jokingly used the title of the song as an excuse to post it, like summertime blues. Sorry to derail, carry on.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 06:07:36 PM by 4stringer77 »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: May 20, 2014, 01:34:06 AM »
Renewed mention of Grand Funk, always an underestimated and unjustly derided band, gives us the chance to return this thread elegantly to its original tracks ... Mind you, I'm hedging my bets and posting John Ellison's original rather than Grand Funk's (also very nice) take on it, albeit even that might be a little too soulish for our resident Bluesfascisonados here, but, hell, I'm European and allowed to get away with it! It at least avoids the stadium/arena rock tag. Pleasantly unrelated to Nick Simper, Rod Evans, Roger Glover, Ian Gillan, Glenn Hughes, David Coverdale, Tommy Bolin (ooops, deserving an honorary mention in this thread, don't hold the color of his skin and a short stint with Purple against him forever),

Joe Lynn Turner, Ritchie Blackmore, Steve Morse, Jon Lord, Don Airey and Ian Paice too. Where were we? Ah, back to Grand Funk!!!

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 01:49:22 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #908 on: May 25, 2014, 02:53:12 PM »
Oh yeah Grand Funk did do Some Kind Of Wonderful. That's bluesy alright. I prefer the earlier material though, when Mel had the mudbucker in his Jazz bass. Nice rendition from John Ellison there Uwe.
Here's a tune off an album I just picked up from an old shop in Lowell, MA. It's 89' and that's kinda classic from my perspective. Hamp is classic. He's backed up by some young lions here, notably Anthony Jackson who is laying it down solid and simple. Hamp is the one who steals the performance when his solo comes around. Listen for a man in his 80s expressing a lifetime of experience. That's good ole' classic blues to me.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #909 on: May 25, 2014, 06:57:27 PM »
You're not kidding he steals it1

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: August 18, 2014, 08:46:14 AM »
fat boy do good:

http://youtu.be/YLUrzHhciAU?list=PL6175BB148102C554

the bassist is so tight in his timing ... about 6:46 on Voodoo Chile you get a good shot of the bass rig and it is dead nuts righteous!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:42:12 AM by sniper »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #911 on: August 18, 2014, 10:40:37 AM »
have not heard that tune in ages. nice version.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: August 18, 2014, 11:17:59 AM »
when the vid is done and it gives a lot of little windows, go to the left and click on his Hendrix "Voodoo Chile"
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #913 on: August 18, 2014, 02:37:08 PM »
when the vid is done and it gives a lot of little windows, go to the left and click on his Hendrix "Voodoo Chile"

He is can play, obviously, but his comment at 4:32 is not like something Hendrix would have ever said.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 02:48:02 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #914 on: August 18, 2014, 02:56:36 PM »
He is can play, obviously, but his comment at 4:32 is not like something Hendrix would have ever said.

Nor something that either the sound man or the bass player would appreciate.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."