Author Topic: Tried to get into a band and was told your equipment didn't have the "look"?  (Read 5781 times)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
I went to a jam a few years ago, and a young kid showed up with a Peavey Wolfgang and a 5150 half-stack.  Since it was a blues jam, all the geezers started smirking and grumbling in the corners.  The kid got up and did a dead-on Duane Allman slide guitar, with perfect dynamics and all the little subtleties that Allman always put into songs.  That pretty much shut everyone up, right quick.

Coool! Wish I'd seen that

Muzikman7

• View Profile
There was an ad looking for a bass player around here where they were looking for someone to play the bass/amp combo they had and nothing else, they liked the sound and that was that. They were trying for the British invasion sound the combo was a Fender Jazz and a Ampeg B-15.
Tony

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
There was an ad looking for a bass player around here where they were looking for someone to play the bass/amp combo they had and nothing else, they liked the sound and that was that. They were trying for the British invasion sound the combo was a Fender Jazz and a Ampeg B-15.

LOL!  Nice.  You'd think they'd have done a LITTLE research.  Vox amps would probably have made more sense.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
You think Ringo had to agree to get the haircut and dress like the rest of the Beatles when he joined?

No they hired him because of the haircut and the way he dressed. Not for his drumming...   :mrgreen:

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
I think you have to adjust your gear to a band a bit. It's strange to see a fast Ibanez in a country band. But I guess people who want to start a Britpopband already have a Vox and a semi Epiphone...

luve2fli

• View Profile
Well I guess I'll be the voice of dissent. I play in a Rockabilly band and while we're not 100% authentic in the image we portray (we've got 2 bald guys in the band so pompadours all around are out ..... LOL!), I wouldn't get onstage with a Fodera 6-string and try to lay down an upright line. I also wouldn't want the guitarist to be shredding on a BC Rich (although that COULD be fun!) and I wouldn't want a front-man looking like George Clinton.

The point is, if you're doing a tribute act (like Mark's Stones band) or a tip of the hat to a certain style that had/has certain iconic imagery attached to it, I don't see the harm in asking the musicians to "play the part" as long as it's within reason.
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Very well put luve2fli!

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
No they hired him because of the haircut and the way he dressed. Not for his drumming...   :mrgreen:

I thought they hired Ringo because 1) he was a better drummer than Pete Best even though he was working as a session drummer when he was not playing for Rory Storm and 2) Stewart liked him better because of reason 1. The contract to hire him was signed before Pete even knew about it with Ringo replacing Pete. Pete sued, Rory commited suicide, thier name changed from the Silver Beatles (they dropped the "Silver") and Ringo stayed as the drummer.

And Astrid (Stu's girlfriend) was responsible for the haircut designs. Stu being the bass player (since the days of the Quarrymen) that Paul replaced when Stu could not continue because of the brain tumor he eventually died of. Stu was immortalized with his likeness on the cover of the Sgt Pepper album.

Please correct me if I am wrong.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 08:04:32 AM by sniper dog »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Well I guess I'll be the voice of dissent. I play in a Rockabilly band and while we're not 100% authentic in the image we portray (we've got 2 bald guys in the band so pompadours all around are out ..... LOL!), I wouldn't get onstage with a Fodera 6-string and try to lay down an upright line. I also wouldn't want the guitarist to be shredding on a BC Rich (although that COULD be fun!) and I wouldn't want a front-man looking like George Clinton.

The point is, if you're doing a tribute act (like Mark's Stones band) or a tip of the hat to a certain style that had/has certain iconic imagery attached to it, I don't see the harm in asking the musicians to "play the part" as long as it's within reason.

I don't think you're actually the voice of dissent at all.  People that play certain styles of music tend to lean towards certain groups of instruments (except maybe John5, who plays a Tele in Marilyn Manson).  You probably wouldn't find someone doing Rockabilly on a BC Rich, but there's enough leeway for a Gretsch Country Gentleman or a Tele.  When it gets down to using THIS guitar and THIS amp, etc., you start crossing the line.

I suppose anything from a motorcycle jacket to a Levi's jacket to a western shirt to a country plaid thing would work for clothes.  To be told that I HAVE to wear a red plaid shirt, made by [whoever], then it starts getting annoying, or this is becoming a lounge act of some sort.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
well stated Gary
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
I don't think you're actually the voice of dissent at all.  People that play certain styles of music tend to lean towards certain groups of instruments (except maybe John5, who plays a Tele in Marilyn Manson).  You probably wouldn't find someone doing Rockabilly on a BC Rich, but there's enough leeway for a Gretsch Country Gentleman or a Tele.  When it gets down to using THIS guitar and THIS amp, etc., you start crossing the line.

I suppose anything from a motorcycle jacket to a Levi's jacket to a western shirt to a country plaid thing would work for clothes.  To be told that I HAVE to wear a red plaid shirt, made by [whoever], then it starts getting annoying, or this is becoming a lounge act of some sort.

I think that's on target.  There are SOME things that just don't fit; ferinstance, you wouldn't show up for a country gig with a Gene Simmons Axe bass.

But when someone gets as specific as discussed in the OP, it's ridiculous.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

^

I hope Gene remembered his cup!

I haven't really spoken of it a lot because it's band business but as some of you know we have a new drummer. Why? Jenny who got replaced, in truth wasn't holding up her part in the band -a multitude of problems beset her, notably poor health in regards to her arm with tendon problems and a really crappy personal life, that combined with not expending much effort outside of rehearsal got her sacked (diplomatically, and with no drama) from the band.
 At that point we as a band decided that we really wanted the best person we could find for the job and that dressing or being "T" wasn't going to be a factor. We knew Wayne before we started looking and contacted him for an audition, he showed up with 12 songs rehearsed and ready to play, everybody was very impressed with his tight playing and how faithfully he worked on learning the original songs. We've been very happy with our decision! We're in the process of expanding the setlist a lot, and really hope to get out and play a lot more in 2011 - A great drummer changes everything, he just dresses Rock n Roll and plays the drums - perfect!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

nofi

• View Profile
the way ' country ' is going give it time.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
the way ' country ' is going give it time.

Perhaps someone will introduce the chainsaw bass?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
My take is: If I have a country band and a guy with a Gene Simmons axe auditions and plays well and is nice, but its his only bass, I would not dream of turning him away. You can always ask him later to carve it into a dung fork!!! More likely however, if he likes the band, he'll come up with a "more appropriate" bass over time.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...