Author Topic: What type of machine-head do I need to look for...? Andreas Demetriou project  (Read 1809 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
I offered up one of the RD's machines as an example of what I'm looking for... The holes in the head are exactly 17mm - very marginally smaller than 11/16"... I could fit this style of machine but they would be offset...

With the lug-points and no screw fixings I believe they are an old Gibson style (?) - is there a easily available replacement out there...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
Maybe these Gotoh tuners (part number 14102)?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Or the Schaller M-4-S

check Jules' website for more info:

www.flyguitars.com

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile

Pardon my ignorance but what does the ADN on the headstock represent?
Digresion our specialty!

Hornisse

It does appear to have had those old Schaller gears on it before Kenny.  I'm curious about the letters on back of the head as well. ???

Highlander

• View Profile
That's why I asked a newbie about his Demetriou to confirm my suspicion - Andreas Demetriou N (for 14th instrument built?)

As in ADA, ADB, ADC, etc... so 14th build would be ADN... no way of knowing how many he built as he is no longer producing and no trace of info...

I'm going to post something relevant to this in a new thread...

Rob - cheers for that... Kev (original owner) emailed me after seeing this and pointed to a US ebay link to some (Schallers) up for sale but I eyeball-stalked at the price ($149) - they were classed as vintage, but what would be a guidline UK price...?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 04:44:50 PM by Kenny's 51st State »
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Not an abnormal price for a set of good quality tuners if you ask me...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
How about these from Hipshot?  Their version of BMLs.

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=93

They can be had for quite a bit less than the list price.

Highlander

• View Profile
Watching cheers Robert - are they 2 odd pairs as they are shaped differingly...?

The other tuners end up having to be loaded angled al-la-Warrick-Thumb, Carlo, but cheers for the input...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Watching cheers Robert - are they 2 odd pairs as they are shaped differingly...?

The other tuners end up having to be loaded angled al-la-Warrick-Thumb, Carlo, but cheers for the input...

Are the holes 11/16" diameter?  If so what's the dimension from the edge of the headstock to edge of hole?  The dimension between the holes?  (I speak metric).

It's possible I have a set of tuners and ferrules that would work.

Hornisse

I just noticed that after you pointed it out.  Looks like someone modified 2 of them.  Wonder if they still have the nipples on the other side?

Highlander

• View Profile
I've been having issues with a new laptop today so the shed has had another neglected (nice weather) weekend...

I'll check the dimensions and come back to you, Carlo...

Robert - possibly worth asking the question... will do...

Highlander

• View Profile
question sent...

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
I've got a set of NOS Ovation branded Schaller M4S tuners around here somewhere if you're interested.