Author Topic: Ripper - problems?  (Read 6412 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Ripper - problems?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 04:02:41 AM »
Yup, those are the ones on the new Ripper II and they sound mighty fine. If you want to know how go to

Kundenlogin, type in raintunes for poject name and for user and then plainingjet for password. "Venus Found" is the track with the Ripper II (with an EB-OF playing the "bass melody" both undistorted and distorted in the chorus, but other than that its all Ripper II). It's a slightly scooped, throaty and single-coilish in nature sound which needs some eq'ed mids to cut through and has quite some piano ring to it. Stings used are DR Jonas Hellborg Signature strings which have just one very thick winding (and look very piano stringish for it) and probably enhance the "not so many mids" characteristic of the Ripper II (I tried them just for the heck of it, I'm willing to give any string at least one chance on my basses).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:26:12 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2011, 08:47:21 AM »
I think I've cracked it, at last.

Got a bridge cover from guitarpartsresource (original was missing) and put a bit of foam padding between it and the saddles. Gigged last night and it was great, sounded just like I think it should.

Other factors along the way, pickup height and maybe pickup wires trapped between the pickguard and the body (not sure how that would affect anything, but it's the only thing I can think I fixed when I had the guard off).

Anyway, I'm happy. We're bonding.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2011, 08:52:49 AM »
I love happy endings.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2011, 10:10:10 AM »
Many months and gigs later, I still wasn't happy with it. Sometimes it would sound ok, but mostly not, and with the pickups screwed right down the output was weak.

So I had a harder look inside and realised the Kent Armstrong rebuild pickup at the bridge only had one coil wired in and was wired with the polarity backwards. Having swapped the orginal wires round and wiring the other coil to the back of a pot, it sounds right now, I can raise the pickups and take out the bit of foam.

As there is an out of phase option on the pickup selector anyway, I can't really get my head round the electrical effect of the previous wiring.