Author Topic: Ripper - problems?  (Read 6411 times)

PhilT

• View Profile
Re: Ripper - problems?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 04:37:52 PM »
Hmmmm. Had the screw driver out and had the pickups back up and down in various combinations, can't replicate the problem. So looks like I fixed something.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 04:38:31 PM »
By a long slow process of trial and error, I think it's an amp problem.

At home I mostly plug into a laptop with headphones, which masks any tone pretty well. But, I also have a Crate BT50, which is what I played through after lowering the pickups. Sounds just like a Ripper should through that.

For gigs and band rehearsals I've got a Markbass CMD 121H combo. Played it through that tonight, and all the problems were back. Played it through the Crate when I got home to check, and it's still fine.

So ..... vintage bass, modern amp design, some kind of incompatibility? 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 05:30:14 AM »
It might be that the Markbass Combo picks up things that get swallowed with the Crate?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 08:40:27 AM »
It might be that the Markbass Combo picks up things that get swallowed with the Crate?

That's probably it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 09:06:50 AM »
When I switch my Roland modeling cube amp from the Ampeg 8x10 simulation to the SWR simulation, the effect on noisy basses like the RD Artists is quite startling. All of the sudden I get alien signals and Cold War short wave radio stations ... And many sixties vintage basses all of the sudden have side noises I've never detected before.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 02:10:21 PM »
You're right, that's what I should do, in the interests in scientific truth. Yet the fear lurks in the dark recesses of my soul - what if I raise them again, and the sound goes harsh again, and I screw them back down ....

and it doesn't change.  ???

Even atheists can be superstitious.

First, you must sacrifice rum and cigars to Jobu:

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 05:09:43 PM »
First, you must sacrifice rum and cigars to Jobu:

It feels like that. I've developed an emotional attachment to this bass, despite not being able to get a sound out of it I can use.

A previous owner went mad with shielding and earth wires. I've taken some of that out, certainly hasn't made anything worse. The bridge pickup is a Kent Armstrong replacement, which is a bit hotter I think (7.78K). No idea what else has gone on in that wiring, I've seen simpler car engines.

Sorry for boring you all to death. I throw all this out in the hope someone will say "that's your problem, right there."

This what was in there ...

and now ....

(the blue wire heading off to the right with a yellow bit hanging off is the earth to the bridge. Looks like someone stripped half the yellow sleeve for some reason, the actual wire is ok. The gap was taped, just took it off to see what they'd done.)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 12:50:26 PM »
Phil, there came a time when everything I did to my RD just kind of made perfect sense...

one pup - one pot - signal out

;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 01:04:30 PM »
It feels like that. I've developed an emotional attachment to this bass, despite not being able to get a sound out of it I can use.

A previous owner went mad with shielding and earth wires. I've taken some of that out, certainly hasn't made anything worse. The bridge pickup is a Kent Armstrong replacement, which is a bit hotter I think (7.78K). No idea what else has gone on in that wiring, I've seen simpler car engines.

Sorry for boring you all to death. I throw all this out in the hope someone will say "that's your problem, right there."

This what was in there ...

and now ....

(the blue wire heading off to the right with a yellow bit hanging off is the earth to the bridge. Looks like someone stripped half the yellow sleeve for some reason, the actual wire is ok. The gap was taped, just took it off to see what they'd done.)

i didn't know Kent made Ripper pups.  Those i would like to hear.  Anybody know how i can get them.  my ripper pups are dead. 

BTW when i finally replace/fix them i am going with a simple toggle switch.  Never thought the switch did much of any value on rippers  IMHO
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 10:11:26 AM »
when I got mine the wiring had already been buggered, so I wired it like an LP.  it sounds good on all settings now.  8)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2011, 11:12:18 AM »
when I got mine the wiring had already been buggered, so I wired it like an LP.  it sounds good on all settings now.  8)

looks like Jobu has spoken to you ...  looks good too.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 02:22:43 AM »

BTW when i finally replace/fix them i am going with a simple toggle switch.  Never thought the switch did much of any value on rippers  IMHO

Always felt it was more of a restraining factor which prevented the PUPs to speak for themselves, so I can't agree more .....
Experience is the ultimate teacher

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 10:07:42 AM »
On the new Ripper II, the pups come courtesy of Seymour Duncan. I'm sure, if you ask them nicely, they'll sell you a pair. They match the sound of the old one, but are more there, single coilish nature and all. I very much liked the sound I got with my Ripper II on our recordings.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 06:02:13 PM »

i didn't know Kent made Ripper pups.  Those i would like to hear.  Anybody know how i can get them.  my ripper pups are dead.  

BTW when i finally replace/fix them i am going with a simple toggle switch.  Never thought the switch did much of any value on rippers  IMHO

The replacement was done 2 owners ago, sometime before April 2008. From what I've been told, it must have been a custom order. KA used the old cover to mold a new one and wound it based on the original specs. No idea how much that cost, but I expect it would make the SDs seem cheap. Back is all sealed. I tried to do some recording, but it didn't come out well.

Just noticed the ones SD sell for $160 look like the older ones that screw into the body.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/custom-shop/specialized-1/ripper_bass_rep/

A simpler wiring scheme could be an attractive option.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 06:11:54 PM by PhilT »

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 01:25:37 AM »
thats interesting that seymour duncan do ripper pups.i wish they would do their chrome big brother...
Louder bass!.