Author Topic: Early Pedulla... interesting  (Read 3796 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Early Pedulla... interesting
« on: December 04, 2010, 01:56:26 PM »
Better looking IMHO than his more famous creations. Serial #0032 and 32" scale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370461589955&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

(no affil.)
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
Re: Early Pedulla... interesting
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 02:19:35 PM »
I saw that one - I like it!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 02:40:58 PM »
Nice...

looks like a pair of MB1's...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 05:55:21 PM »
Pedulla has always seemed to miss its market, IMO. Outside of the Buzz fretless basses, the Thunder and Thunderbolts were a lot of money for the same tones you could get out of most any generic 90's active coffee table.  Its contemporaries like Ken Smith, Tobias, and Spector all had their easily indentifiable tones while the very pricey Pedulla's didn't really sound all that different from a super-optioned Peavey or Carvin that cost half as much. This bass looks like a path that should have been followed more closely.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 07:09:09 PM »
I remember seeing another very early Pedulla with Model One a couple of years ago. May have been the same body style, can't remember for sure. It does look better than what he's done since.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 11:35:56 PM »
Sold for $1,152.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 03:17:07 AM »
I played a fretted one last summer. It is heavy. Very heavy. Weighs more than a Peavey T-40.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 09:09:16 AM »
Sold for $1,152.

That seems reasonable in light of Pedulla's later reputation for building quality stuff. It probably sounds better than his later basses too.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 09:31:57 AM »
I had a MVP for a while. Gorgeous - all black with chrome hardware. Killer neck too. That's what really sold me. I wasn't crazy about the Barts, and the 24 fret fingerboard really bugged me, as I was way into slapping at the time. I ended up dumping it and going back to my Guild Pilot.  :P Kept the case though. Perfect fit for my alumi-Kramer fretless and Les Paul basses.

Hornisse

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 09:48:14 AM »
When I saw Kiss in '84 Gene was playing one.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 09:47:29 AM »
I almost bought an early (SN#06x range) Pedulla Orsini 4-string years ago but when I went back the next day with cash, Billy Joel's bass player had just snagged it. It was a blue-green color. It's still one of those basses that "got away" that I sometimes think about.

I DO own a pair of MVP 8-strings that are fairly rare to come across. I bought the sky blue one new...have loaned it for a music magazine bass cover photo in the 90s. These have my favorite 8-string necks. Only wish they made a dual-truss version but Mike refused to do a custom order for one when I asked.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 10:08:50 AM »
I DO own a pair of MVP 8-strings that are fairly rare to come across. I bought the sky blue one new...have loaned it for a music magazine bass cover photo in the 90s. These have my favorite 8-string necks. Only wish they made a dual-truss version but Mike refused to do a custom order for one when I asked.

You're killing me with all the 8-strings!!! (In a good way of course, besides the intense jealousy...  :mrgreen:)