Author Topic: 51 P Pickup  (Read 1988 times)

rahock

• View Profile
51 P Pickup
« on: November 20, 2010, 07:30:21 AM »
I've been thinking about replacing my 51 P RI pickup to a Seymour Duncan Antiquity II. I like the overall sound and tone of the stock PU but I have to admit it is not super strong. Reading up on the Antiquity II, everything seems like this PU should be what I want, but I'd like to get some info from those who have done this swap.
What exactly did it really do for you?
Was there a major difference in volume , bottom end, punch etc.?
How are they on single coil noise?
What kind of price and where did you buy?

Thanks,
Rick

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: 51 P Pickup
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 09:33:12 AM »
I've used the antiquity series, split P I &II and Jazz, about 6 sets total.  They are very close to original vintage in output and tone IMO.  I have a Basslines 51 P in my 51 RI, not much different from the 'Fender' that came in it.  I've bought my Duncan stuff from whoever is cheapest at the time, haven't have any 60Hz hum problems.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 09:41:09 AM »
I have not heard the 51 Antiquity, but no 51 pickup is going to have a strong output. The coil just isn't big enough to be a high output pickup, even if you get an overwound one (like the SD 1/4 lb. or Rio Grande Muy Grande) -- and those don't sound anything like vintage anyway.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 10:57:31 AM »
i had the single coil in my '68 tele rewound by the local hot shot guitar guy at wizard electronics. it was lots louder and the basic tone did not change, which is a good thing.

bty rick, you BLASPHEMER! ;D
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 04:12:37 PM »

bty rick, you BLASPHEMER! ;D

I guess I had that coming after all the stuff I've said ;D.
I really love my 51 ,and it's a keeper, but the last few months I've been playing my 70 P and it's stronger. The low end on the 51 sounds very dark and  sweet and it fills the room with tone, but the low end on the 70 cuts more and fills the room with more presence. The 51 is like an upright with the tone it produces and it blends well in the mix, but like an upright it lacks the ability to cut. I like the uprightlike quality a lot, I just want it to hit a little harder. Of course turning up the volume helps ;D.............but it's not the complete answer ;).
I hope some of this crap I keep spouting makes some sense to someone. I find it very difficult to use words to describe a sound. Loud and Soft are easy enough , but everything in between seems tough nail down ???.
Rick
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 04:40:04 PM by rahock »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 04:43:10 PM »

I'm not familiar with the Antiquity series either, I have used a pair of the Duncan '51 P's in my Epi Fenderbird - potted into N.O.S. Gibson covers. Overall the output is lower than any of my other basses tho that really isn't a problem. Tonewise I find them pleasant, very Fenderesque. Certainly much better than the stock Epi!  ;)
You might PM Dr bassman too as I recall he has a 'Bird with one in it as well.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 03:12:02 PM »
The Nash '51 P I owned had a Seymour Duncan SCPB-2 "Hot" pickup.  Higher output than the Lollars in my split pup Nash's.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 08:11:26 PM »
I put together a '56 out of a CIJ '51 neck on a contured Sting body I use a Antiquity in it. The signed tag that came with it read that the pickup is 6.59k actually sounds similar to my '68 Telecaster pickup.
Tony

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 01:50:13 PM »
I thought this was a '51 Nash:

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 04:48:59 PM »
I thought this was a '51 Nash:

Thats a really nice car.
Tony

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 04:03:40 PM »
oooh... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 05:51:04 PM »
I put an Antiquity in my 51 P, apart from a burst of wishful thinking at the start, I became convinced it made no difference at all. Put the stock pickup back and actually thought the bass sounded better as a result. Fralin make a range of 51 replacements with varying outputs, which might at least be different from stock. Several people over on Basschat rate the SD quarter pounder SCPB-3.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 09:04:53 PM »
..... Several people over on Basschat rate the SD quarter pounder SCPB-3.

Rate it as what?  :)

It's a fine pickup, but it doesn't sound like a vintage 51 and doesn't claim to.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 07:19:45 AM »
I put an Antiquity in my 51 P, apart from a burst of wishful thinking at the start, I became convinced it made no difference at all. Put the stock pickup back and actually thought the bass sounded better as a result. Fralin make a range of 51 replacements with varying outputs, which might at least be different from stock. Several people over on Basschat rate the SD quarter pounder SCPB-3.

There is an antiquity and an antiquityII, which one are we talking about here Phil?
Thanks,
Rick