Author Topic: The Eagle has landed!!!  (Read 3441 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: The Eagle has landed!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 08:11:50 PM »
That dash makes me wistful for high school too. My friend had a 914 that we tooled around in at lunch. Some scoffed at the 'Volkswagen Porsche' but that thing handled like it was on tracks and was a lot of fun!

Yeah, I remember the 914. It was a sound car, just a bit odd in it's styling.  Mine has that flat opposed 4cylinder air cooled engine.  Noisy and unmistakeable when you hear it.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 05:37:23 AM »
Noisy and unmistakeable when you hear it.

When you don't hear your engine, you know something is wrong!!!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 06:08:45 AM »
When you don't hear your engine, you know something is wrong!!!

LOL, you are sooooooooo right!   :o

Bargeon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 07:01:47 AM »
". . . handled like it was on tracks"

Center of gravity one foot below the ground.
Dyslexics untie!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 07:42:58 AM »
Nice piece of work ;D. Back in 99 I bought a Silver Miata sport package  and added a supercharger, header and nitrous kit. A Porsche was the top of the list but I wanted to make a few mods and I COULD afford to tear up the warranty on a twenty thousand dollar car. I COULD NOT afford to do that with a Porshe price tag. Anyway, nice ride.............enjoy ;D
Rick

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 09:02:57 AM »
Beauty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 10:11:10 AM »
Very nice, Bill!  I've always liked the 912 series and thought they were one of the most classy Porsches.

My equivalent is my 208ZX Turbo, which has three or four issues that make it a pain to keep up with - mostly vacuum or electrical.  I've put it under a car cover and it will be there until spring when hopefully I can find time to mess with it - I just haven't been able to do so.

My 1958 Fiat Spyder is still up on jackstands in the garage; I missed finishing it this summer.  Here's what it should eventually look like, although mine is white:

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 11:27:37 AM »
your cars are getting to me.  i may have to move trade out some basses for a fun car.  Always wanted a red vette.  had a 67 GTO way back that was a blast.  had  MB 55 AMG convertible a few years ago that paid for first semester of college for kid #1  >:(
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 11:47:46 AM »
Cool cars there Al!  Wow, that Spyder is really unusual.  Love to see it when it hits the road.  The old Zs were such cool cars, the first real Japanese sports cars.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 12:06:11 PM »
I'm 6'1" with short body/long legs syndrome...

... and Mark... 6'4"...? with those legs...? what was that you mentioned about an eyeful...? ;D

I just can't get "in-to" sports cars - they just don't feel right to me - I've been a van driver on an almost daily basis for over 27 years - can't imagine driving round with my tail that close to the tarmac... :o

I'm not soul-less either - I can appreciate an artform, regardless of origins...

Loud engines... standing on the end of the runway at Heathrow with four beautiful afterburners running at 110%... now that is heavy metal... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 03:05:48 PM »
Love 912s, affordable, easy to work on and just about the best looking of all the many 911s IMHO.  That's a great car, Bill!

I've had a dozen sportscars, 13 if you count a '68 Vette, which I don't.  The first one, a 1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite, had an 875 CC 4 banger, about 35 horsepower when new and no floor when I got it.  I rebuilt the trans on my kitchen table out of parts from 2 gearboxes.  Drove it from Florida to L.A. in 1976 stuffed with about everything I owned including my '55 Precision and '60 EBO.  Outside of Tucson it sucked a valve and my buddy and I did an impromptu valve job at a DIY garage.  Same guy I'll be sending my B-15N to rehab.  Here I am doing brake work on the streets of Silverlake 2 years later right before the top and side curtains were stolen.  At the time I owned 3 SVT cabs and 3 Coliseums.  It was a practical car.

"Graduated" to Alfas and a Porsche.  Had kids, moved to Louisiana and bought an F-250.  The day my wife told me she was divorcing me I bought this.  Not much to choose from in Natchitoches, LA.  Everybody slags Fieros but this was the last year, with Lotus suspension and no self immolation option.  Had around 90K on the clock when I bought it.  I drove it coast to coast 3 times with no problems, great handling car.  Slow but 35 Mpg at 80.

Moved to Alameda, CA.  Bought this, definitely NOT slow.  The 2 happiest days of a Vette owner are the day you buy it and the day you sell it...but it does have a certain appeal to a certain type of woman.

One of my 2 Z cars, 425 twin turbo horses or approximately 12 times the Sprite's.  Stick shift as is everything I own.  This will probably be my last car.  Mostly I drive an S-10.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 03:57:29 PM »
here is mine the day i sold it......  took a picture at the dealership
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 05:22:52 PM »
Verrry Coool, doc!  8)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 05:43:37 AM »
Great car stories guys!  Man, I'd like a new Z car so bad, but our winters are so long here, I wouldn't get to drive it as much as I'd like and on snow, well, it's too crazy.  I got my Eclipse 3 years ago and it's really good on snow, so that's a keeper for now.

I'm actually shopping for a Boxster that I can drive year round.  If we retire a little further south in the future, a rear wheel drive sports car is definitely in the cards.  I still have a craving for a Mustang GT ragtop.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 05:52:17 AM »
 Beautiful car ! Always nice to bring something back ! I can't afford a joy ride car (I spend to much on basses ;) ) I did however buy a reissue Schwinn Sting Ray in metallic grape just like the one I had when I was a kid, I love to ride it around the neighborhood I do however get some strange looks !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird