Author Topic: favorite headphone albums or songs?  (Read 5407 times)

nofi

• View Profile
Re: favorite headphone albums or songs?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 11:08:26 AM »
i have not used them since college weed and wax experiments. i to prefer speakers, plus headphones can't be good for my already bad hearing.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 11:58:46 AM »
Yeah, the days of laying around with a pair of headphones are long gone.
I do wear them when I mow the lawn or when I'm drowning out my son's band in the Jam Room.

It's too bad.  I used to get a great sense of solitude lying down with a pair of phones on and listening to great music.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 09:31:56 PM »
I guess I mainly listen to music in the car.  Anyone else around here NOT in the habit of using headphones for music listening?

same here.  not sure i even know where my headphones are.  no ipod either.  over 2000 cd's

once in while i listen to songs on the pc.  especially when trying to learn a tune.  easy to jump around..
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 02:15:09 AM »
Some stuff is dreadful in stereo, like every Rolling Stones record up till Aftermath

Like Aftermath & Their Stanic best in Mono too .......

Since my commuting days, which ended some 18 years ago, I hardly ever use the headphones these days unless I'm digitising ol' vinyls. Used to use them a lot in the old days because my dad often went to bed early to get some sleep before the night-shift .......... Because of those headphones sessions I did seriously get bored with a lot of psych and sold off some records ( The Eyes Of The Beacon Street Union and Graffiti to name a few, no that anyone will know those monsters  :mrgreen: ) that took me years to get "new" copies of .....  :-[
Experience is the ultimate teacher

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 05:36:34 AM »
i had a copy of 'beacon street' but for the life of me i can't remember what they sounded like. ???
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 09:11:48 AM »
I don't presently own any...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 12:59:12 PM »
Now that I've prompted a deviation in this thread........

My preference for 'phones is the Sony MDR-V600's for home listening.  They're a sealed design and the ear cups are big enough to go completely around the ear, not on it.  I dislike phones that sit ON the ear - with extended listening that always makes my ears sore.  The 600's are a bit larger than the phones I use for field work.  

For field work, the Sony MDR-7506's are my pick - I've used them for 20+ years for field audio work.  They give a very slight bass boost, but as long as you're aware of that it's cool.  For casual listening IME that's a feature, not a bug.

I use ear bud phones only for listening on an airplane or when I'm out to lunch  - they work well with my smart phone.  They're OK and I have some decent ones, but they don't give much in the way of acoustic isolation.  Definitely a step down for me.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 03:51:12 PM »
Sony 7506's are WAY hyped in the high midrange and highs. That's why they are ideal for field work; they'll cut through lots of background noise. I've gotten to the point where I'll use them if I have to, but for the same money, the Sennheiser HD280 Pro's are far superior and less ear-punishingly fatiguing. Once you've found a good set of cans, you also need en equally good amp driving them. Most headphone outputs are just cheap little IC power amps with a pretty high output impedance, not a good recipe for tone. An easy way to tll if your heaphone amp isn't up to snuff is if you can turn your headphones up to the point of distortion, especially on lows.

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 08:15:46 AM »
Jamiroquai's first two albums "Emergency on Planet Earth" and "The Return of the Space Cowboy" ..... Stuart Zender's lines are absolutely outstanding.

For Rock, Zeppelin's "Physical Graffiti" and "Presence" still do it for me. Really love putting the phones on to In the light, Bron Yr Aur, Ten Years Gone and Achilles Last Stand. Terr and I are soooooo on the same page re: LZ.

Blues - SRV's "Texas Flood" - still his best work, IMO. So much depth to his playing.

I will say that the "headphone experience" is really quite different than running tunes through speakers for me ..... you just pick up on so much more of the music, all the nuances and layering.

"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 06:13:55 AM »
i have not used them since college weed and wax experiments. i to prefer speakers, plus headphones can't be good for my already bad hearing.

Yeah, I put mine on now and then but that's it. My hat is off to the Procol Harem selection, the headphones are great on that stuff. It does wonders for the music , and the vocal work is just outstanding. The vocals just hang in the air , kind of haunting.
Rick

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 08:02:10 AM »
My headphone of choice is the Realistic LV-10, which is a Koss HV-10 with a different badge.  They sound really wonderful, and are comfortable.  Radio Shack sold almost as many Koss headphones as Koss did under their own name.  I also have a pair of Koss K6's and a pair of Nova 20 phones, which were the classic brown early 70s Koss/Radio Shack ear cups.  These have that old school vacuum feel to them, so I don't use them that often, but they are really great for recording stuff where you have to shut out the room.  There is also a pair of Soundesign 355 on the wall. I don't like them that much but they really look cool on the wall.  Kind of functional art. 

I prefer a good pair of speakers, and I think I really use headphones when editing videos and doing recording work.  I think my headphone usage glory days were back when my LV-10s were new.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 11:38:24 AM »
Led Zep - Presence
Yes - Relayer, Drama
Jon Anderson - Olias Of Sunhillow
Rush - 2112, Hemispheres
King's X - Gretchen Goes To Nebraska, Out Of A Silent Planet, Faith-Hope-Love
ELP - Tarkus, Brain Salad Surgery
Pink Floyd - Everything :D but my faves are Meddle, The Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here and Animals
Genesis - Live (73), Trick Of The Tail, Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Peter Gabriel - Plays Live
Vangelis - Bladerunner, The Friends of Mr. Cairo
The Alan Parsons Project - I Robot
Gary Wright - The Dream Weaver
Robin Trower - Bridge Of Sighs
Steve Miller - Book Of Dreams
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 02:14:45 PM »
My headphone of choice is the Realistic LV-10, which is a Koss HV-10 with a different badge. 

I think I still have a pair of those kicking around...but I decided that I prefer the closed-ear designs.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."