Poll

are you against playing bass with a pick?

yes - bass is meant to be played with fingers
0 (0%)
no - whatever works
36 (90%)
you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose
4 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: anti-pick prejudice  (Read 5925 times)

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
Re: anti-pick prejudice
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 03:10:16 PM »
I started off on guitar, so when I switched to bass I played with a pick.  Over the next couple of years (this is 30 years ago) I gradually moved to mostly finger style, with pick when needed.  Around 1985 I had 10 years off bass playing and almost exclusively played finger picking acoustic guitar, doing solo singer/guitarist gigs.  Because of that, when I got back into bass playing again in around 1997 I played fingerstyle all the time, because I hadn't used a pick for anything for so many years.  These days, I pretty much always use fingerstyle at gigs, but have recently started practicing at home with a pick again, just to give me more flexibility if I need it for a fill-in gig or recording or whatever.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 03:23:30 PM »
35+ years with a pick. I have always felt that other musicians appreciate that I sound a little different (90% of the bass players around here play fingerstyle).
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 03:45:26 PM »
Been playing bass since 1976, have never played a song without a pick, it's part of my "tone equation". Anyone tells me there's any steadfast rules for how you pluck a bass string is someone who's opinion means nothing to me.
Out.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 03:55:58 PM »

I think some basses lend themselves to pick playing, I loved playing my Rick 4001 with a pick and of course the T Birds almost seem to catch fire when you get a pick and some rounds going on. Certain pickup designs really come to life when the bass is played with a pick.
The inverse is true as well, my limited experience with Fenders taught me that fingers seemed to get me closer to a desired tone and a pick just didn't make sense.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 04:03:17 PM »
Seems like a pick is necessary sometimes.
Glenn Hughes is RIPPING IT UP on Black Country's song Black Country--my fav on their COMMUNION album.
That's GOTTA be a pick!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 04:14:18 PM »
Depends on the song, and I almost always just "know" which is right for what I want to achieve.

This is exactly how I feel about it. For me the song really does tell me which method to use.

Hornisse

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 04:22:19 PM »
I'm 100% fingers now.  Back in 1977 when I started I was really into the Dave Hope tone (Kansas) so when I finally got a Precision Bass in 1979 I played it with a pick.  It was a large heavy triangle tort pick.  When I lost that I used Dunlops.  I stopped playing for several years around 1985 and when I started back up again in 1996 it was strictly fingers. 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 04:47:06 PM »
Glenn Hughes always plays with a pick, pretty close to the bridge, unless he  slaps. All Purple bass players - Simper, Glover, Hughes - were pick players.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 06:09:27 PM »
I went through a brief period of playing with a pick in the late '70s I haven't used one since.
Tony

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 07:33:54 AM »
I go both ways, and enjoy it equally.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 08:16:03 AM »
Started out playing with picks because finger-style was way to difficult on a baritone ( stringed E to E ) but changed to finger-style with my first 4 string. When I joined my 1st semi-pro outfit the guys in the band insisted I'd play with a pick, so I did ..... no problem.
Nowadays I can play both ways but finger-style comes natural to me so my playing sounds more fluid that way ......
Experience is the ultimate teacher

maxschrek

• I'm getting closer, my Salamander.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 08:20:32 AM »
Both pick and fingerstyle for 30 years now...gotta serve the song.

T

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 09:20:10 AM »
I go both ways, and enjoy it equally.

Does your wife know?   ;)

You Greeks, always goin' 'round the world  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 09:43:07 AM »
I was talkin' 'bout picks and fingers stuff, not the other thingie, your Hornyness...
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2010, 09:46:49 AM »
I was talkin' 'bout picks and fingers stuff, not the other thingie, your Hornyness...

You rang?  ;)

I remember that clip you posted of some fingerstyle kind of jazz on your Epi, Nice!