Author Topic: Your bass philosophy  (Read 10043 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
Re: Your bass philosophy
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2010, 04:42:25 AM »
none as lame as Mick's and Keith's solo stuff though

I actually like Wandering Spirit very much! Better than any Stones album after Steel Wheels...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2010, 01:52:17 PM »
Never owned a Stones LP...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2010, 03:29:30 PM »
Never owned a Stones LP...
Well I can't say that Get Your Ya Yays Out pretty much cured me of the Stones. Now I have never owned a Zeppelin album.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2010, 01:48:19 AM »
I can dig that ......... Never understood the hoohaa about that album ....... But at age 10 to 14 the Stones were my main band and I hardly had any albums by other bands, but those were the 45 days of course  ;). Still love all their albums upto Let It Bleed and spinning right now is CD #1 of the Singles Collection - The London Years.
Experience is the ultimate teacher

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2010, 04:42:39 AM »
No Stones like Old Stones when they were Young Stones...I guess you had to be there to appreciate the Unfabfour of it.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2010, 08:00:37 AM »
For a band to grab my ear there has to be one of two elements, a great bassist or singer/song writer. The Stones material never touched me like Mott The Hoople or The Alarm. From a bass players point of view Wyman held no interest for me unlike McCartney, Entwistle, Jim Lea, Martin Turner etc. I don't dispute the Stones contribution......................... but  I always felt they were trying to catch up to the Beatles.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2010, 08:16:26 AM »
I'll probably get flamed here but...I never liked the stones till Daryll Jones was in the band.  I Have a couple recent live disks, and I think they sound really good with a good bassist. Your mileage may vary.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2010, 08:50:29 AM »
I admit that I have a real ear for guitar-centric bands.  I love the interplay of guitar and bass.  Many of my favorite tunes are instrumentals.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Bargeon

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2010, 10:18:48 AM »
Yeah!!!!!
Ever since I was a kid listening to Disney records I waited for the singer to shut up so I could hear the real music in the middle part. Then I latched on to rock instrumentals, few as they were.

But then the 60's hit with groups like Yes, great music and the lyrics didn't make any sense so it was all instrumental anyhow :)
Dyslexics untie!

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2010, 10:54:35 AM »
i have never bought music because of a bass player, drummer etc. it's always for the songs. if the players are good, bonus. the past several years i have been listening to tons of jazz and other mainly instrumental stuff. imho with few exceptions rock lyrics are crap anyway. my 2 cents worth.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2010, 12:01:36 PM »
I'll probably get flamed here but...I never liked the stones till Daryll Jones was in the band.  I Have a couple recent live disks, and I think they sound really good with a good bassist. Your mileage may vary.

I'm certainly not going to flame you, Darryl is an excellent bassist, but to me, the Stones with Darryl Jones are a Stones cover band. Wyman's quirky style is an essential part of what made the Stones what they used to be.

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2010, 06:02:52 PM »
In the older Stones records the bass never caught my ear like McCartney's did. I can appreciate Wyman's style now that I'm older and wizened.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2010, 06:24:39 PM »
In the older Stones records the bass never caught my ear like McCartney's did. I can appreciate Wyman's style now that I'm older and wizened.

Do you mean wizened, wiser - or both?

I feel more wizened some days....but seldom wiser.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2010, 06:44:20 PM »
Not wiser just older.  ;)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2010, 09:18:34 AM »
Now I have never owned a Zeppelin album.

And you play a tribute set... :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...