Author Topic: Jerry Lee Lewis  (Read 2650 times)

eb2

• View Profile
Re: Jerry Lee Lewis
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 10:01:24 AM »
Barry Jenkins - drummer extrodinaire for The Nashville Teens, a chunk of time for The Animals version 1, and the whole bizarre schizophrenic time of Eric Burdon & The Animals, which is 2 1/2 bands that all had top 10 hits.  Maybe you could call the Love Is/Zoot Money period a separate band as well, but it was not that successful.  But Live At The Star Club is a kick in ass, and he really is amazing for that alone.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 10:31:24 AM »
I know Mick Underwood (another local to Hounslow muso) was involved with the Outlaws at this time...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 10:41:36 AM »
Yes, an the Outlaws backed Jerry Lee Lewis in their Blackmore incarnation as they did with alot of US stars (Gene Vincent) at the time when bringing your own musicians was considered expensive and the British Musician's Union cast a watchful eye ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 08:01:26 AM »
Comparing how the Outlaws dressed, and how the Nashville Teens played vs the band he has on The Greatest Live Show On Earth lp from roughly the same period, I think Jerry Lee made out like a bandit. Or a killer.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 12:48:43 AM »
Artists still do it today. Glenn Hughes recently played here with a few local guys I know as his backing band.
Digresion our specialty!

Garrett

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 03:16:21 AM »
Glenn Hughes recently played here with a few local guys I know as his backing band.

That would have been cool to see! I have been a fan of his since the Trapeze daze! I still regret not seeing him and Tommy Bolin playing together in Deep Purple.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »
Saw the CTTB tour at Wembley - thoroughly enjoyed it - just wasn't DP, that's all...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 10:27:36 AM »
Come Taste the Band is among my three most favorite DP albums. The other two are Machine Head and Burn. Purpendicular is fourth, Morse started out great in his debut with Purple, but the follow-up stuff has unfortunately not met expectations.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2010, 12:50:44 PM »
Now that does surprise me... I thought you had "RITCHIE IS GOD" tattooed across you chest... :P

I've still failed to follow your advice and pick up that CD; all in good time...

Saw Morse with the Dixie's way back when and have quite a bit of his solo stuff... rather spiffing really...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2010, 05:20:16 PM »
Blackmore is the most inspiredly improvisng living solo rock guitarist on earth. He can show breathtaking genius. But his songwriting is often bland.

Bolin's forte was that he was so un-Blackmorish in a natural way that any comparison fobids itself. He had a sound totally of his own, possibly even more unique than Blackmore who has an audible Hendrix influence. As a soloist, Blackmore could play circles around Bolin who was strictly a pentatonic player. But Bolin was more inventive as a rhythm guitarist where Blackmore is rather minimalist and sometimes even pedestrian.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2010, 07:12:04 PM »
I always preferred Blackmore to Tommy Bolin, as I felt the only thing they had in common was distortion and six strings.  I did like Come Taste The Band, but it was like taste another band.  It was good, but not the same vibe.  I tend even now to think that when Richie Blackmore was going out of blues scales he was equal parts comfortable and completely lost, which is fun.  Oddly enough I have a soft spot for the Physical Graffiti tribute album Perfect Strangers.  Rainbow is a mixed bag, and the new age stuff is daffy.

In a way I appreciate him in much the same way I love Steve Howe.  A lot of the stuff he has done is frightening, but he really is the most amazing rockabilly guitarist ever.  They both routinely go off the deep end, but the center they eventually gravitate back to is rocking.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2010, 02:59:51 AM »
Both Ian Paice and Jon Lord have called CTTB a "great album, but a Tommy Bolin, not a Deep Purple one". Which is true. It was a new band and I credit Deep Purple with that attempt which might have actually gone somewhere had Hughes by the mid-seventies not been a raging cokehead and Bolin a tragic junkie. ("And that was just one of the things he was addicted to", Lord once sighed.)

Bolin turned Deep Purple from a Yuropean into a yank one. But a very good one.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 04:39:18 AM »
I have both of the albums (now CD) Bolin played on with the James Gang and a variety of other stuff - one of those musos I know exactly where I was when news of his passing came - a sunny Sunday morning - I tend to agree with Uwe re RB and TB both great players, but very different... as is Morse...

I saw pretty much (missed seeing them with Carey) all the original incarnations of Rainbow, up util the DP reunion - the slickest, most professional version was definitely the Bonnet line-up - they delivered in spades... but seeing them with Dio (Rainbow at the Rainbow, with the Rainbow 8) - what else could I say!!!) - the latter stuff was very much going through the motions...

Garrett

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 06:38:28 AM »
I have both of the albums (now CD) Bolin played on with the James Gang

I have Bang and Miami and his solo albums, Teaser and Private Eyes.....all really good but i prefer his solo work. Never really cared for his short time with DP.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2010, 08:44:15 PM »
Teaser is a good album, Private eyes lesser so but I love Come taste the band. Songs like Lady Luck bespoke where Coverdale was headed with the future Whitesnake.  Songs Like Getting tighter and Drifter are just great stuff for me and songs that could never have happened without that particular lineup IMHO. A song like Love Child is more traditional Purple. Then the haunting Glenn Hughes This time around rounds the whole thing off beautifully.  Great album.
Digresion our specialty!