Author Topic: Led Petty?  (Read 3450 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Led Petty?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 10:07:49 AM »

Good in the studio, live - not so much  :-\

+1

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 10:27:08 AM »
Duesenberg Starplayer - anyone here ever tried one, or any of their ilk...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 03:12:55 PM »
I like the song, but the production is too sedate. There's a much meaner monster in that performance than that track reflects. It would be better if it had shone through. That was one area Zep usually got right: bombast, (though it didn't always translate live). I really like Tom Petty, quite a bit more overall than Zep, but if you're going to do that style, don't be cautious about it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 05:15:51 PM »
Zep had an inherent problem live: just two instruments which could play notes. That is why they could never sound as full as the Deep Purples, Uriah Heeps and Grand Funks of this world - Zep could never have a bass player and a keyboarder playing at the same time. And they didn't have a singer who could grab a guitar if need be - like Swan Song labelmates Bad Co for instance - either. Now if you're Rush and replicate your studio music live very slavishly and in a disciplined fashion, you get away as a three piece, but Led Zep for better or worse were never a disciplined band and never really played something twice the same way. They were also into big studio arrangements which could not be easily replicated live. Bands like Deep Purple or Uriah Heep stayed much truer to their live sound on record.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 09:46:40 PM »

Lep Zep.......House of the Holy tour 1975

Still the worst band I ever saw live, sloppy, beyond boring.

Glad I only wasted $5.00 on them.
Good in the studio, live - not so much  :-\

I got the DVD of their never released performance footage, and still maintain that they should have sequenced it in reverse chronological order - ending with the footage from Royal Albert Hall in '70.  That way it would finish on a positive note!  That's the only concert footage on there that did anything for me.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 01:29:53 AM »
Saw Zep twice in the early 70s and they were great, no complaints here ........... I heard the Petty live recordings from the Pink Pop festival 1977 or 1978 on the radio back when and they blew me away........ Petty doing Zeppish material does not compute ...... bleep bleep ....... fatal error ......  :sad:  
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 02:31:04 AM »
Still really iritated that Dog On The Run never emerged with the recent anthology (on CD, all nice and pristine and clean) as my original is well past it's best... >:( :sad:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 03:28:04 AM »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023