Author Topic: DiMarzio X2N for 12 string bass?  (Read 5785 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
DiMarzio X2N for 12 string bass?
« on: September 08, 2010, 03:25:59 PM »
OK, I know there probably aren't a lot of people that have A/B-ed pickups on 12 string basses....  ;D But I just bought a Hamer B12S and I need to get rid of the EMGs. My first thought is to put Gibson TB+ pups on it, but I started thinking about the old Hamers with DiMarzios. Does anybody have any insight to one versus the other on ANY kind of bass?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: DiMarzio X2N for 12 string bass?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 03:59:10 PM »
Sorry I don't Tom but T would give the Dimarzio a try, bet it would be smoke'n
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 05:12:04 PM »
Whatever Waterstone puts in their 12'er is one of the best bass pickups I've ever encountered, period, standard or multi-stringed.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 12:42:16 AM »
X2N's are high output overwound ceramic pickups, I expect to sound kinda like my Epi's pups, that is mids overload that "cover" the bass frequencies with little highs. On the other hand, they may sound good in a 12 string. Guitarfetish has a X2N replica that gets good reviews if you want to experiment.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 07:59:49 AM »
I'm curious what you dislike about the stock p/us, I played stock B12Ss for over a decade. Thru a big ol' Mesa/Boogie bi-amp rig those basses sounded amazing. After that band broke up I sold the rig and one of the basses, still have one, tho' it sits in its case.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 08:13:33 AM by leftybass »
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 10:18:06 AM »
I'm curious what you dislike about the stock p/us, I played stock B12Ss for over a decade. Thru a big ol' Mesa/Boogie bi-amp rig those basses sounded amazing. After that band broke up I sold the rig and one of the basses, still have one, tho' it sits in its case.

I was an EMG aficionado for YEARS, but 5-6 years ago went to passive pups on just about everything I own. The problem is, too much sizzly high end, and it just doesn't "fit in" with all my Ric and Gibson pickup equipped basses. It's got this funky EMG EXB tone circuit. I'm going to put a standard tone control on there so I can roll off some highs for now. The X2N has "historical significance"... Maybe I'll start with those.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 04:21:15 PM »
The X2N-B (bass version) is kind of the anti-EMG. It has lows and highs, they're just dominated by a midrange that isn't very clear-sounding.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 08:32:17 AM »
Still researching. Thanks guys. Looks like the X2N-B is only available from the DiMarzio custom shop. I'm thinking about maybe a pair of Rio Grande Pitbulls. A friend of mine is a dealer, so I should do good on the price.  ???

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 11:08:06 AM »
Will guitar sized pickups work?

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 02:45:06 PM »

In most cases, yes, guitar pickups work on basses, as long the string spacing isn't very wide.

Here's some info and some opinions about X2N pickup "family" (X2Ns, X2N-Bs and Model Ones).

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t13991/
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 03:40:23 PM »
Still researching. Thanks guys. Looks like the X2N-B is only available from the DiMarzio custom shop. I'm thinking about maybe a pair of Rio Grande Pitbulls. A friend of mine is a dealer, so I should do good on the price.  ???

If it helps you to hear the Pitbull isolated on a 4 string, I could record a bit of it.  I have one in my Ampeg (maple, 34", rounds).  Sounds just like I like em to sound- "vintagey", nice solid mids, no brittle high end...  Cuts thru great in the band setting, just don't get it out much because I love the 'birds more.

That pickup was kinda on the 'spensive side, but if you have a connection that should help...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 04:58:29 PM »

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking for - a guitar sized bass pickup. It's got EMG HBs on it now.

If it helps you to hear the Pitbull isolated on a 4 string, I could record a bit of it.  I have one in my Ampeg (maple, 34", rounds).  Sounds just like I like em to sound- "vintagey", nice solid mids, no brittle high end...  Cuts thru great in the band setting, just don't get it out much because I love the 'birds more.

That pickup was kinda on the 'spensive side, but if you have a connection that should help...

That would be cool. Wouldn't mind hear something. Brittle high end is exactly what I'm trying to get away from. The prices aren't that bad on the Pitbulls. They're cheaper than those Fralin Bassbuckers.

Exiled, thanks for the link!

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 05:24:21 PM »
REE TEETER on the south side of Chicago, 147th and Cicero. Maybe Midlothian. He has a new Old Stock Brand New Black one for $100.00

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 07:24:23 AM »
Coolness. Thanks Baz.

Some interesting info at that link above. This one guy says a Model G is an X2NB with poles instead of blades. Same guy continually rips on both pickups, saying they have a "harsh midrange". He also goes on to declare that he "loathes SVTs". Man, this guy is like the Anti-Tone!  :P I just mentioned in the Cort Axe thread how great my friends Model G equipped Kramer Axe sounded through his SVT.  ;D To each his own.....

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 07:34:25 AM »
What an Ass. Tube amps rock!!! Like I said...before I had my Hiwatt...I had an SVT.....(well I did have an old 70's GK wired like a tube amp). Great amps. Tubes, Tubes, Tubes. Now I'm a Hiwatt man. Why then, tell me, is the SVT the industry standard if it sucks so bad??????  And if the Dimario's suck...why do so many people put them in their Hamer basses???????