Author Topic: '76 Thunderbird transfer  (Read 5864 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: '76 Thunderbird transfer
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2010, 08:49:12 AM »

I better copy that art real quick! - Purple 'Birds rule  ;D

So whaddaya guys think? Should I have that done in the traditional "tramp stamp" location, or perhaps just on one butt cheek?
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2010, 11:08:41 AM »
There's always the option of one that folds it's wings away when not in an excited state... :o ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2010, 05:26:28 PM »

I better copy that art real quick! - Purple 'Birds rule  ;D

So whaddaya guys think? Should I have that done in the traditional "tramp stamp" location, or perhaps just on one butt cheek?

I say tramp stamp - for the good of the group as a whole!  Because I know that you'll post pics of the new tat and I can just forsee the "bird on ass" pic! :P ;D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 10:14:19 AM by Lightyear »

JZumbro

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2010, 01:14:15 AM »
Great job lowend1!

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2010, 10:24:26 AM »
Someone just put one up on Ebay. It's super cheap too. I'm sure one of you guys could spare $5.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150485462303&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_792wt_920

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2010, 11:17:50 AM »
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2010, 12:46:24 PM »
I think these were going for $20 back when we got them so $5 would have been a good deal.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2010, 01:01:56 PM »
You can also buy decal paper for your printer since Lowend's already done the graphics for us.

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Clear-Inkjet-Decal-Sheets/dp/B0013P6VX6

This is clear, white is also available.  Probably cheaper elsewhere.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2010, 05:45:36 AM »
You can also buy decal paper for your printer since Lowend's already done the graphics for us.

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Clear-Inkjet-Decal-Sheets/dp/B0013P6VX6

This is clear, white is also available.  Probably cheaper elsewhere.

Keep in mind that those sheets are for making waterslide decals. Also, if you buy clear sheets, any white areas will show up as clear (the white sheets will always produce a decal that will have to be trimmed to avoid having white area around the image). In most consumer printing applications (inkjet, laser), white areas are actually the absence of color - the image must rely on the media that is being printed on for any whites (like white paper). The one exception (in the "end user" market) were the Alps dye-sublimation printers, which would print with both white and metallic inks. Unfortunately, they stopped making these years ago, and any that are still floating around have to be maintained regularly. Can't run to Staples for ink cartridges. Your best bet would be to visit your local sign shop, where they can print on adhesive white vinyl, and possibly cut the shape by computer. Chances are you will have to pay by the linear foot (plus any setup charges) so you may as well print up a bunch.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2010, 07:12:04 AM »
Thanks Lightyear!  I've been doing DIY tees and waterslide logos for a while and hadn't gotten around to researching vinyl.  There are 8.5 x 11 white sheets available for around a buck a pop, you do have to cut them out yourself.  At some point I'm going to give them a try.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2010, 10:10:12 AM »
You're welcome!  But did you mean Lowend?! ???

I work in the "copier/printer" industry and I guess you could say that I'm an expert in color output from these devices.  A white area will be a null area only.  Iron on transfer paper is available but I can tell you that the color is nowhere near what a traditional silk screen process will be - you just can't transfer enough ink to make the colors very bright.

You can have the file printed on self adhesive ink jet vinyl as well.  The file type will determine the clarity of the output and whether it can be scaled without pixilation.  The trim process is typically done on what is called a vinyl cutter - basically an inkjet plotter that that replaces the print heads with a razor cutter - these work on a vector process.  If you've ever seen the "name" stickers on the back of a soccer mommie's SUV these where done on a vinyl cutter.

I have been to one vendor that has a machine that will "paint" an image on fabric - replacing the silk screen process.  Too bad they couldn't make it work :sad:  To me it looked like the concept had surpassed current trechnology

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2010, 10:38:52 AM »
 :-[sorry about the mixup!

Nothing beats silkscreen but I've had some acceptable results w/ the DIY stuff, both iron on and waterslide, haven't tried vinyl.  I'm aware of the limitations and don't expect miracles.  .psd files scale pretty well.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2010, 01:12:59 PM »
You're welcome!  But did you mean Lowend?! ???

I work in the "copier/printer" industry and I guess you could say that I'm an expert in color output from these devices.  A white area will be a null area only.  Iron on transfer paper is available but I can tell you that the color is nowhere near what a traditional silk screen process will be - you just can't transfer enough ink to make the colors very bright.

You can have the file printed on self adhesive ink jet vinyl as well.  The file type will determine the clarity of the output and whether it can be scaled without pixilation.  The trim process is typically done on what is called a vinyl cutter - basically an inkjet plotter that that replaces the print heads with a razor cutter - these work on a vector process.  If you've ever seen the "name" stickers on the back of a soccer mommie's SUV these where done on a vinyl cutter.

I have been to one vendor that has a machine that will "paint" an image on fabric - replacing the silk screen process.  Too bad they couldn't make it work :sad:  To me it looked like the concept had surpassed current trechnology

Thanks, Lightyear, for a concise, coherent paragraph on the plotter cut vinyl process. I worked alot with vinyl back in the 90s, when it was way more primitive. Being able to print something onto adhesive vinyl and then have it cut in one process is a huge time saver.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2010, 09:05:03 AM »
Since Nikki has always been fond of 70's birds, maybe they should do a "Seventy-Sixx"  lol

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2010, 10:47:41 AM »
The Thunderbird eagle should be wearing black over-knee spike heel patent leather boots. Can anybody help out?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...