Author Topic: Wilco sells stuff  (Read 1633 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Wilco sells stuff
« on: December 05, 2015, 09:12:17 AM »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Wilco sells stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 11:42:54 AM »
Some nice stuff, very overpriced. No doubt there are some fans willing to pay for the Wilco connection.

A 1972 EB-3 (with the pickup in the middle position) at $2500, and it sold today? Wow. Twice what it's worth.

$1800 for a Gibson Music City Jr. B-Bender because Jeff Tweedy owns it? They were a sales flop, and you can still find them new for $1399.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 04:19:42 PM »
Some tasty stuff in there! I'm liking the look of the black Precision bass with the Badass bridge. The late '70s Gretsch with the Model One fitted in squint is probably an interesting talking point as well.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 12:27:30 AM »
This is the weirdest strap button location I've ever seen. Might would work as a thumbrest if you have looong fingers:

https://reverb.com/item/1401573-1974-gibson-l9-s-ripper-owned-by-john-stirratt-of-wilco

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 08:25:59 PM »
This is the weirdest strap button location I've ever seen. Might would work as a thumbrest if you have looong fingers:

https://reverb.com/item/1401573-1974-gibson-l9-s-ripper-owned-by-john-stirratt-of-wilco

That is odd! It must have balanced better for him that way, why else would he put it there?

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 06:00:37 AM »
Maybe he didn't! It appears that the '70s was the era of moving strap buttons around to try and throw the balance of an instrument. Off the top of my head, Uli Trepte of Guru Guru installed the upper horn strap button of his Jazz bass so that it was mounted on the front of the horn. This allowed his bass to hang more vertically. Ditto Holgar Czukay with his Mustang bass. He fitted a strange tubular metal construction to his Mustang bass as well, which moves the whole instrument left, looking down as the player.

I've seen other such mods in old film, but nothing is coming to mind.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 06:36:52 AM »
Mad Krauts, all of'em.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 08:25:13 AM »
Maybe he didn't! It appears that the '70s was the era of moving strap buttons around to try and throw the balance of an instrument. Off the top of my head, Uli Trepte of Guru Guru installed the upper horn strap button of his Jazz bass so that it was mounted on the front of the horn. This allowed his bass to hang more vertically.

Doesn't make sense to me. Moving the upper strap point more towards the bridge increases the neck dive, as there is more weight on the neck side of that strap point.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 01:01:38 PM »
All sorts of weird things were done until people realized their old guitars and basses were "vintage."

I've seen a Bicentennial Bird that Tommy Stinson had modified by inserting a good sized plug of lead into the body to counter neck dive.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 01:21:56 PM »
Doesn't make sense to me. Moving the upper strap point more towards the bridge increases the neck dive, as there is more weight on the neck side of that strap point.

Nothing Guru Guru ever did made remotely sense, especially not in a stric sense.

I'm not knocking them (they could play and had ideas, sometimes too many of them), but they were a freak hippie band in the vein of Gong, Magma or Mothers of Invention where you could always expect the unexpected.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 06:17:37 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 02:44:17 PM »
Are they selling anything that will make me play guitar like Nels Cline?  I'd buy that.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 07:44:56 PM »
Maybe he didn't! It appears that the '70s was the era of moving strap buttons around to try and throw the balance of an instrument. Off the top of my head, Uli Trepte of Guru Guru installed the upper horn strap button of his Jazz bass so that it was mounted on the front of the horn. This allowed his bass to hang more vertically. Ditto Holgar Czukay with his Mustang bass. He fitted a strange tubular metal construction to his Mustang bass as well, which moves the whole instrument left, looking down as the player.

I've seen other such mods in old film, but nothing is coming to mind.

Yeah but isn't he hanging it on his right shoulder only?

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 10:47:35 PM »
i loved the stuff he played on that mustang .its a shame some ratbag stole it.
Louder bass!.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 06:47:00 AM »
Yeah but isn't he hanging it on his right shoulder only?

Yes! Very unconventional player. When his Mustang turned up missing he swapped over to a Jazz bass and did similar, if not so serious mods. He also started wearing white gloves whilst playing, and seemed to have dialled more and more bass out of his tone, apparently in line with bullying and grief from the drummer.

My guess with the ripper is that it somehow combats neck dive, as more of the body mass is suspended out beyond the point it hangs from the strap. I'm not willing to drill up any of my basses to see if this actually works in practice!