Author Topic: Thunderbird vs Firebird case woes  (Read 5794 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Thunderbird vs Firebird case woes
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 07:36:23 AM »
The Epi case will not fit an NR or Bach Bird. It's too short.

Mine does!

Here's an older pic of my BacHbrid (pre mods) in the Epiphone case. I took out the shaped compartment where the body fits. Turned it around and reshaped it a little with a hobby knife. Put the plush back. Et voila!

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 08:05:25 AM »
don't know if this one would work but the price is right (for now)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Vtg-1980s-Gibson-Logo-Victory-Artist-Bass-Case-/360295911967?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item53e34f521f

that appears too short .  the bach bird is about 50 inches plus..
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 08:50:41 AM »
So there must be different Epi T-Bird cases. The one I had was about 48.5 inches, which was too short.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 10:18:47 AM »
When I had my Epi Non Reverse basses (4 & 5 string), they both fit in an Epi case. It was longer than my Gibson TBird case tho. I had the cases lined up by size and the Epi was at the back, and it stood taller than the Gibson. It wasn't the current type of Epi TBird case that is form fit, it had the open section at the lower end (like in Hornisse picture). I would think those longer Epi cases are very hard to find at this point.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 04:16:32 AM »
don't know if this one would work but the price is right (for now)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Vtg-1980s-Gibson-Logo-Victory-Artist-Bass-Case-/360295911967?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item53e34f521f

Too small! Last night I was swapping around basses and cases just to see what fit. The Victory case is actually pretty small and even the Victory is a tight fight in there. The fitted Epiphone case is large enough to hold the Epi T-bird, the Jap Epi T-bird, the Fenderbird AND the BaCH (with mods to the body cavity). The humongous case in which I keep the BaCH is, I believe an Explorer bass case. It dwarfs all the other cases. It, however, is shallower than the fitted Epi case and the Jap Epi case and so the headstock of the BaCH sits VERY close to the bottom of the case.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 05:16:08 AM »
This one will fit. It will need some re-working, but it has already been modified.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Bass-Case-Thunderbird-Also-Fits-SG-and-Guild-302_W0QQitemZ320586761960QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item4aa475c6e8

Inside Dimensions of the case are 16 1/8" X 51 3/4"

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 05:55:12 AM »
When I received the Epiphone case that I had ordered from Thomann.de (for only 77 euro) I was actually disappointed at first, because it was not the case they had depicted on their website. Their website showed a rectangular case without the shaped body compartment.

The case they sent had the shaped compartment, which forced me to modify it.
I hindsight I'm glad I got this one because it holds the bass really good. It's a snug fit.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 09:54:04 AM »
When I received the Epiphone case that I had ordered from Thomann.de (for only 77 euro) I was actually disappointed at first, because it was not the case they had depicted on their website. Their website showed a rectangular case without the shaped body compartment.

The case they sent had the shaped compartment, which forced me to modify it.
I hindsight I'm glad I got this one because it holds the bass really good. It's a snug fit.

You lucked out, I think. The cases with the shaped compartments seem to be pretty uncommon and they are larger than the unshaped cases.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 03:54:05 AM »
I think that's the case they're using now.  when I bought a case for my Epi Tbird pro in January or February, that's all I could find.