Author Topic: Thunderbird vs Firebird case woes  (Read 5795 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Thunderbird vs Firebird case woes
« on: August 24, 2010, 06:42:03 PM »
Do none of those clowns selling Thunderbird cases know that what they are really selling are Firebird cases? This has happened to me twice. Argh, those guys need to walk the plank, matey!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Thunderbird vs Firebird case woes
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 09:08:26 PM »
That's too bad. Maddening and a hassle to return. Better ask for measurements next time.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 10:00:58 AM »
Yeah, for some reason this time I didn't ask about the length, which was forgetful of me. The last time this happened I asked and was assured that the case WAS a T-bird case but when I got over there it was, again, a Firebird case.
Clocks.

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 01:04:21 AM »
Why are T-bird cases so hard to find? I don't get it. They still make T-birds and they usually come is cases so why can't we find the cases? If you do a Google search for Gibson Thunderbird case you get a bunch of links to Musicians Friends, Guitar Center, Etc. but none of them actually have Thunderbird cases on their sites. Why not? I need a case for my Bachbird and finding one sucks. Are NR birds way longer then a regular reverse bird?

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 06:19:47 AM »
The Bachbird will fit in a regular reverse case, but it will have to be modified to fit the NR body. The brown cases can be had on ebay reasonably if you are willing to wait.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 06:48:14 AM »
Good question, Johnbob. Because I went for an older black T-bird case (which was misrepresented) I missed out on a legitimate brown one for only $60.

Most of the sites mentioned carry the regular Epi cases which have a rectangular body cavity but I really don't like the way the lower horn rides up against the hinge side as tightly as they do.

While messing around last week, I did find that my mocked up Fenderbird will fit in one of the shaped Epiphone cases. Body fits fine with some room at the headstock. Not sure if it will fit an intact Gibby T-bird though.
Clocks.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 09:16:52 AM »
Pretty sure the Epi case will fit a Gibson too. Someone here or at the Pit had one and showed several Tbirds in the Epi case and all fit. I want to say it was Johnny Crab, but it's been a while so not sure.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 01:45:20 PM »
The Epi case will not fit an NR or Bach Bird. It's too short.

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 02:32:47 PM »
Yeah, I have seen a number of Epiphone cases on Ebay and I have asked the interior dimensions and so far they have all been too short. So the vintage brown Gibson cases fit then for sure? I too have passed up a few too (Probably the same ones as you) because I asked the interior dimensions and they had sold before the seller had a chance to get back to me. What about the newer Gibson cases with the white interior, does anyone know if those would work? 

Hornisse

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 03:45:10 PM »
What about the old Epi Non Reverse T-Birds that they made in the 1990's?  I had a 5 string version and the case was absolutely huge!  Unfortunately I don't have it anymore so no measurements.....

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 04:45:43 PM »
What about the old Epi Non Reverse T-Birds that they made in the 1990's?  I had a 5 string version and the case was absolutely huge!  Unfortunately I don't have it anymore so no measurements.....

Bet a case for one of those is a pretty rare beast!
Clocks.

Hornisse

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 05:35:18 PM »

This is the best photo I have of the case.  Looks like there would be plenty of room for the body but I'm not sure about the total length.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 05:39:56 AM »
Why not take those nice faux croc Bachbird cases? They fit Revs and Non Revs of all eras plus RDs and Epi Embassies. They look great, are cheap and reasonably stable (ok, not world tour quality).
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 06:06:08 AM »
 The problem with the Bach case is that when shipped to the U.S. it is no longer a low cost option.

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 06:13:11 AM »