Author Topic: My London Experience  (Read 7393 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: My London Experience
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 06:35:11 AM »
The only real thing we have in common is that we all hate the French;)

The poor French. They get it from all sides!  ;D

I once again feel compelled to state my not so humble opinion, which is that I LOVE how we can talk about many things here on this board without the discussion turning into a yelling match. As I hit post last night I did so hoping that what I had to say wouldn't be seen as inflammatory in any way. I should have known better. As a (probably not so) final note on the American question; I love the term, "American Experiment". When he was asked by a citizen after the adjournment of the Constitutional Convention what kind of government had been structured by the Founding Fathers, Benjamin Franklin reportedly answered; "A republic, if you can keep it." We've been pushing and pulling toward that goal ever since. It's obvious to any observer that we've had good years and bad, but at it's essence I believe we're still working out that original goal.

A nice side effect of my living in England was that I also got to know a few guys from 'the continent'. As an avowed student of human nature and all around people watcher, I found it fascinating to see how each guy or gal was both alike and different from the stereotypes I'd grown up with. This board has been a great reminder for me of that aspect of living there. How else would I have regular exposure to German Lawyers, old Texas punk rockers, and various Scandinavian ne'er do wells! This may be the last bass outpost, but it's also the first place I go every time I log on to my computer!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 06:46:19 AM »
BTW: If it comes to soccer (our national sport along with ice skating) the war between Germany and Holland is back again;)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 09:13:12 AM »
A nice side effect of my living in England was that I also got to know a few guys from 'the continent'. As an avowed student of human nature and all around people watcher, I found it fascinating to see how each guy or gal was both alike and different from the stereotypes I'd grown up with. This board has been a great reminder for me of that aspect of living there. How else would I have regular exposure to German Lawyers, old Texas punk rockers, and various Scandinavian ne'er do wells! This may be the last bass outpost, but it's also the first place I go every time I log on to my computer!

George, I feel the same way, and not because I'm half the team that started this forum. It's just good to be able to hang out together because we have a common interest and yet respect how we look at some things differently from our various backgrounds.

I don't want to be drawn into a handgun debate, but American society on the whole is probably more violent than Europe at this point in history. Gun laws won't change that.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 09:44:46 AM »
Glad you and your family had a nice trip!

I think some of the things that make it great to live here can also make it difficult.  People are granted a lot of freedoms here, and unfortunately not all exercise good judgement.  I don't think alcohol, tobacco, or firearms serve any redeeming purpose, but I myself do enjoy a good beer!  So I would hate to see prohibition enacted because of drunk drivers running over families at alarming rates.  Although I'm personally not into guns, that's how I try to understand the perspective of people who are.  Just hope I don't get capped while I'm drinking my cool Guiness!   ;D

One of my colleagues recently went thru training for her concealed weapons permit (so she can legally pack heat at the grocery store now  :) ).  She was rattling off some interesting stats to me.  One of them was from our fire department - around 50% of all vehicles involved in collisions that they respond to contain handguns.  :o

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 12:49:55 AM »

I once again feel compelled to state my not so humble opinion, which is that I LOVE how we can talk about many things here on this board without the discussion turning into a yelling match. As I hit post last night I did so hoping that what I had to say wouldn't be seen as inflammatory in any way. I should have known better. As a (probably not so) final note on the American question; I love the term, "American Experiment". When he was asked by a citizen after the adjournment of the Constitutional Convention what kind of government had been structured by the Founding Fathers, Benjamin Franklin reportedly answered; "A republic, if you can keep it." We've been pushing and pulling toward that goal ever since. It's obvious to any observer that we've had good years and bad, but at it's essence I believe we're still working out that original goal.

who's an old Texas punk rocker,and do you have any "Big Boys" or "Really red" or "Offenders" records?
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 07:37:24 AM »

I once again feel compelled to state my not so humble opinion, which is that I LOVE how we can talk about many things here on this board without the discussion turning into a yelling match. As I hit post last night I did so hoping that what I had to say wouldn't be seen as inflammatory in any way. I should have known better. As a (probably not so) final note on the American question; I love the term, "American Experiment". When he was asked by a citizen after the adjournment of the Constitutional Convention what kind of government had been structured by the Founding Fathers, Benjamin Franklin reportedly answered; "A republic, if you can keep it." We've been pushing and pulling toward that goal ever since. It's obvious to any observer that we've had good years and bad, but at its essence I believe we're still working out that original goal.

Agreed, this place should share a world view rather than a one sided one, after all it is founded by a German & Texan (talk about extremes!) We do not always agree with one another, but you have to respect other person's beliefs as right or wrong as you feel they might be.

I also love my country and think it should be acceptable to criticize it without being branded "unpatriotic, not supporting the troops or an Atheist" which as I said have been accused when expressing my views by others in public.

Again I am not saying that there is a black & white , but somewhere in between has to be a better world and London seemed to have things that seem to be working better than here (driving without talking on cell phones was one).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 08:04:43 AM by Barklessdog »

Max Soren

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 08:20:29 AM »
I completely share your views, Barklessdog, and can relate to them very much.  However, there seem to be many Americans who most likely aren't going to agree.  The part about the erosion of freedom of speech here is probably what bothers me the most.  I've even had people say that I was unpatriotic because I am critical of the American health care system.  I don't know what can be done about this lack of openness we now have here.  As far as I can see, freedom of speech is rapidly becoming a farce in the U.S.  I don't know how much of this is related to 9/11, but in the U.S. there now seems to be such unnecessary tension and hostility in many places.  People don't even know how to relax anymore.  What a contrast Ireland and Holland were.  Furthermore, people seemed to be engaged in the art of conversation in both of those places, something which seems to be a lost art here. 

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 08:39:27 AM »
who's an old Texas punk rocker,and do you have any "Big Boys" or "Really red" or "Offenders" records?

Well, I don't know if Dave is really an old punk, but his musical tastes tend to run in that direction a bit so it made for an easy classification.  ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 08:46:32 AM »
I think "old garage rocker" would be more accurate, but I'll take it as a compliment anyway.  :)

Right now I'm listening to the Rotters' "Sit On My Face, Stevie Nicks." Relaxing music to start my day.  :D

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 08:50:51 AM »
I think there's nothing wrong with a healthy debate, but it's been shown time and again (at least to me) that idiots come from all political stripes and backgrounds. Labels thrown from either side only serve to obscure any rational discussion anyway... When we're willing and we get past our differences a funny thing happens; we find out we have more in common than we think. This board proves that very well, I think. Cheers to all you knuckleheads (me included)!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 08:51:56 AM »
I think "old garage rocker" would be more accurate, but I'll take it as a compliment anyway.  :)

Right now I'm listening to the Rotters' "Sit On My Face, Stevie Nicks." Relaxing music to start my day.  :D

Ok, "old garage rocker" it is!

Max Soren

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 09:39:29 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, old garage rocker does sound better and is most likely more accurate.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 11:35:26 AM »
there is not much difference between "garage" and "punk" the Rotters rule and so does old texas punk,i saw the Dicks reunion last summer.awesome!
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 12:15:14 PM »
I agree with the Cell phone ban in London, but getting two years in prison?????

Also for fiddling with Ipods!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23411328-details/Drivers%20risk%20two%20years%20in%20jail%20for%20using%20their%20mobile%20phones/article.do
Motorists who use a hand-held mobile phone or fiddle with a satellite-navigation system while driving could be jailed for up to two years.
Prosecutors have said they could be charged with dangerous driving in a dramatically tougher approach to such offences.
Those caught fiddling with an MP3 music player or texting on a mobile at the wheel could also face the charge.

Essential Tension

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2008, 08:03:07 AM »
I heard a Professor from Columbia University, New York, give a lecture here in UK and he claimed that only (IIRC) 5% of US citizens owned a passport and that even amongst congressmen the figure was only 30%. His point was, of course, that most US citizens do not travel abroad and so had little knowledge and little experience of other cultures. I don't know how accurate his figures were but, assuming there is some truth in what he claimed, why do so many US citizens not travel more?
DAVE