Author Topic: Frets  (Read 801 times)

nofi

• View Profile
Frets
« on: August 15, 2010, 09:35:10 AM »
is there a noticeable difference between medium jumbo (fender), and a regular jumbo fret.

also what are 'vintage style' frets. (fender). i am clearly not a gear guy. thanks
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:15:46 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Frets
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 03:34:03 PM »
Sometimes those terms mean different things to different companies. Originally jumbo meant width of more than .100 inch.  If it just says jumbo, it's wide and tall, usually over .100 wide and .050 tall. Medium jumbos are wide but lower. IIRC Fender's medium jumbo is something like .102 x .043. Vintage frets are about the same height but only about .080 wide. .

Then there are tall frets in standard width. Modern Gibsons use these, about .090 x .055.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 02:00:24 AM »
Gibson used really low and wide frets in the late sixties and early seventies - to me they are an acquired taste. The wood so close to the string, yet not in contact with it either (thus no fretless feel)feels weird to me.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 09:03:19 AM »
Gibson used really low and wide frets in the late sixties and early seventies - to me they are an acquired taste. The wood so close to the string, yet not in contact with it either (thus no fretless feel)feels weird to me.

Those are supposedly .106 x .036, at least that's what's sold as a replacement size. They're about as low as mandolin frets but about twice as wide.