Author Topic: Grinding down a Gibson EB-0 humbucker cover  (Read 2958 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Grinding down a Gibson EB-0 humbucker cover
« on: August 14, 2010, 09:23:22 AM »
I got it done, and I think the clearance will be fine.  The problem was that the chrome cover for my EB-0 was so deep (front to back) that it stood taller than the fretboard - and the strings hit it.  I needed to grind it down.

Original depth was about 7.5 MM.  I figured that a good target would be about half of that, or somewhere around 3.5 to 4 MM.

How to hold the cover safely and securely?  Screw it to a hunk of 2x4 with one side of the 2x4 aligned with the bottom edge of the cover so I could measure it and check progress as I worked:

How to grind it?  Mount the sanding disc on the good old Shopsmith!

How to hold it in position?  Clamp the saw guide in position so that the cover extends past the edge of the saw table:

The Shopsmith doubles as a drill press in vertical position - but the rotating quill also extends horizontally when the motor is horizontal.  So in effect, it's a horizontal drill press and I could move the sanding disc TO the cover:

And the working process (taken while wheel is rotating with fingers kept clear), during which I reduced the cover depth to about 3.5 MM:

The sanding disc left a slight concavity in the cover edges, so I squared them up by rubbing the cover along 120 grit sandpaper glued to a marble slab, which provides a flat surface.  Incidentally, this is also a good surface for sanding down nuts while maintaining a flat surface:

And the result - installed and now clearly sitting lower than the end of the fretboard.

I have some testing to do, but I think it's low enough.  If not, I know how to get it lower!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Grinding down a Gibson EB-0 humbucker cover
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 10:36:51 AM »
Great job.  Shopsmiths rule!  The height of the cover looks about perfect compared to my '67.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 01:22:40 PM »
That worked out real nice. I didn't realize some of the earlier ones were that shallow.

Now get to work on that Fiat!

Daniel_J

• No, I'm not Japanese. I am Brazilian actually...
    • View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 09:18:48 PM »
Really nice!

That Shopsmith is one sexy machine, it can do anything and everything you want/need!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 09:52:25 AM »
A Shopsmith is a VERY handy thing to have around, and perfect for the urban guy who doesn't have room for 6 different machines sitting on stands.

That one I inherited from my dad, who bought it in 1954 at Carr Hardware in Ames, Iowa.  I have the original owner's manual, warranty papers and receipt: it cost $276 with the optional rollers.

The same machine (and I mean identical, except for a higher HP motor) is $3000 new.  Ebay has them all the time for half that or less.

It went out of production after Sears bought it from Magna Corp in the 60's...then a gent who bought a used Shopsmith and couldn't get parts for it decided he'd buy the rights to the company.  He did, and Shopsmith has been back in business since the 1980's building machines which are based on the late 50's models with refinements here and there.  I can still buy every single part needed for my 1954 machine, and I can upgrade any part of it to current specs and capabilities.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 10:09:45 AM »
Not enough room in the shed... a pity...

(neat work, btw)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 01:39:47 PM »
Here's mine.  I bought one in the mid 80's had it refurbed and used it for a lot of furniture prototype work, everything but the table saw.  Walked away from it after a divorce.  I bought this one a few years ago, much later model, from the original owner, cost him over 3k.  I paid $200 for it, I would have paid a lot more.  Original bill of sale manuals, etc.  I've added my own portaband,buffer,beltsander and router table options ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 01:47:19 PM »
I don't recognize the device on the table below the motor - but I think it's clamped on.  Looks like you ue it on a regular basis.

The only real add-on I've bought is the Shopsmith bandsaw - got one for under $100 on Ebay.  You gotta watch your fingers with that bandsaw - it cuts 2x4 stock like a hot knife thru butter, no joke. 

I wouldn't mind getting their deep-offset jigsaw.  The one I have is hobby size.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 01:58:28 PM »
That's a portaband metal cutting bandsaw, made for cutting pipe, etc.  Got it from my brother, I use it for cutting aluminum.  This is my current setup for making pickup rings.  My old one had the deep throat jig saw, used it a few times.  I have a Delta bandsaw I use for wood, got a good deal on CL but I use the drum sander, disc sander, drill press all the time, can't beat the adjustable/tilting table.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 02:02:25 PM »
Disc sander is incredibly handy.  I need to get the drum sander.  To Ebay....
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:07:36 AM by Pilgrim »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 06:03:53 PM »
Disc samder is incredibly handy.  I need to get the drum sander.  To Ebay....

I am so envious!  I think a Shopsmith will be my last big buy before retirement, then I can unload some of the whimpy hobby tools I've collected over the years. 
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 11:09:32 AM »
I am so envious!  I think a Shopsmith will be my last big buy before retirement, then I can unload some of the whimpy hobby tools I've collected over the years. 

I think it will replace some but not all of your tools. It is capable of pretty good precision work IF the user takes his time and measures 3x before cutting once.  The later models have larger saw tables and better/larger outer supports, which really helps for cutting long or large material.

If you want to look for one, Craigslist in your area would be a good place to start.  Sometimes people just need to get rid of dad's old stuff.....

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 11:48:05 AM »
Here's an inexpensive drum sanding kit that uses sheet or roll paper.  I use this in addition to the Shopsmith drum.  Fits into the drill chuck or 1/2" shaper chuck attachment off the back of the spindle.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-quick-change-sanding-drum-set-35455.html

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 12:39:33 PM »
I think it will replace some but not all of your tools. It is capable of pretty good precision work IF the user takes his time and measures 3x before cutting once.  The later models have larger saw tables and better/larger outer supports, which really helps for cutting long or large material.

If you want to look for one, Craigslist in your area would be a good place to start.  Sometimes people just need to get rid of dad's old stuff.....

I see your point.  It certainly has a lot of flexibility in a confined space.  I'd lean toward a newer one if I could.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 12:54:53 PM »
Dada & Al... stop this mental cruelty at once...! ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...