Author Topic: Gallien-Krueger MB212 2x12 500W Ultralight Bass Combo Amp  (Read 13914 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: Gallien-Krueger MB212 2x12 500W Ultralight Bass Combo Amp
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 11:49:29 AM »
Yesterday I ventured up to GC to meet a buddy and walk around. They had a couple of GK's other new light weight combos but not the MB212. I asked the salesman if he had one but he told me that it was something they wouldn't carry "but let me show you this Fender Rumble 350 . Hands down it's the best one out there, even better than the GKs".

I didn't WANT to hear the Fender and got the distinct impression if it didn't have Fender on it he didn't like it.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 05:36:36 AM »
I got a similar story at my local GC, I could order one but they had no immediate plans to bring one into the store. However, they had several pieces of GK equipment sitting around, including the 2 10" model with the same power. The salesman I was talking to  was a bit more helpful than the guy you talked to and actually guided me to a store that had a couple. I haven't had a chance to take the hike accross town to check them out. It's the place that I bought my Olympia ABG a few years ago.
He also informed me that he had a buddy who picked one up and had done a few gigs at fairly large clubs and was absoluetly thrilled with it. It will probably be after Christmas before I get a chance to get out that way to check them out.
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 07:52:29 AM »
I have a feeling that at least among the "mature" bass players. the lighter weight cabs and amps are starting to displace the older, heavier systems.  I know it didn't take me long to decide it was worth the cost.

Of course, those who love the full tube amps and older cabs will not be swayed.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 06:42:57 AM »
Well, I still have not seen the 2 12" GK model but I did play the 2 10" model that is supposed to be the same 500 watt amp with all the same controls.
Boy, was I ever underwhelmed :sad:. Too many buttons instead of knobs. The horn control is an on/off button (I knew that going in ,but I still don't like it), and the contour control is also an on/off button instead of a knob. The sound was a bit buzzy and lacked fullness. In short, it just sounded cheap. Price wasn't too bad at just under $600.
 I plugged in to a 2 10" Markbass combo that was sitting right next to it at almost double the price. WOW ;D, that little 2 10" Markbass has got some juice. Very strong and capable of a REAL nice deep ,full sound. I was impressed :o. If they keep those two amps right next to each other I suspect they will sell a lot of Markbass, even if they are twice the price. Amazingly strong for a 2 10" set up.
I'd still like to see the 2 12" GK in action ,but I'm certainly not as excited as I was. I'm a big fan of GK stuff but this 2 10" piece sure missed the boat. Just plain cheap sounding for a GK. If the nameplate would have said Silvertone or Airline I think I would have been OK with it because that's the kind of vibe I was getting from it. Definately not worthy of GK and defiately not to be compared against a Markbass. Not a fair fight .
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 08:27:30 AM »
In that case, if you haven't already, slide down the aisle to Genz-Benz and start playing mix n' match.  They have a new Streamliner amp that's supposed to be hot-cha-cha.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 09:20:27 AM »
I would be very interested in hearing a Genz Benz with that same power range (500watts or so) and a pair of 12" speakers. The GC store I was in had nothing that said Genz Benz on it except a used 4 10" speaker cab.
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 10:56:27 AM »
GC doesn't carry Genz Benz, and no one except GC has Markbass.

I have no idea about the GK MB212, but I recommend trying to compare it to something else at a place other than GC. The way GC pushes Markbass so hard makes me suspicious of the way they set up the other amps for comparison.

Hornisse

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 11:49:21 AM »
I'm still extremely happy with my MB115 that I purchased new last May for $320 (it was $399 minus a 20% coupon)  I use it for all the local gigs and for smaller rooms.  It is only 200 watts and a single 15 but I liked it a lot better than the MB210, which I bought first and used for 1 gig then took back.  I tried a Markbass 210 combo last year and was underwhelmed with it in a live setting.  Not enough balls for me.  I put the 115 on an amp stand so it is basically a monitor for me.  I never use the contour button and keep the horn on and the limiter on as well.  Controls are basically flat but I keep the master on 3/4 full and never go past 1/2 on the gain.  I use my master volume on the bass to control overall volume.  Here is a video of the band (a not very decent one) where you can hear it in action.  It was filmed on a cell phone so the sound is not all that great. 

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 07:25:17 PM »
GC doesn't carry Genz Benz, and no one except GC has Markbass.

I have no idea about the GK MB212, but I recommend trying to compare it to something else at a place other than GC. The way GC pushes Markbass so hard makes me suspicious of the way they set up the other amps for comparison.

Yeah. They take seconds and broken returns and put them out on the sales floor as new.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 10:29:26 PM »
Why am I not surprised at that?

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 02:33:08 PM »
I haven't thrown in the towel on GK yet :). The MB 210 just didn't have what I was looking for. The Markbass 2 10" was really strong but I'm not a big fan of 2 10" rigs. !0" speakers are great but they seem to work best in groups of 4 or more or they just don't seem to fill a room. I've always been a fan of 15" speakers but the new neo 12" stuff has changed my tastes a bit. A good 2 12"  neo cabinet can outperform most of the late great 2 15" cabs of yesteryear with a whole lot less size and, more importantly, weight. The GC I was at wasn't really trying to push anything. The guy just handed me a new American P Bass and a cord and told me to have my way with anything in the room ;D.
Rick