Author Topic: Thick/Thin measurements of body contour of NR Bird?  (Read 5462 times)

Johnbob

• View Profile
Thick/Thin measurements of body contour of NR Bird?
« on: August 02, 2010, 01:33:35 AM »
Can anyone tell me the thickness of the thinest point of the belly contour on an original NR Bird? In inches, please? I have a Red TH-1 with no body contour and I am seriously thinking about attempting to carve one out but I was wondering how deep to carve out. Even better, if someone has specs of the body contour in general that would be great. If that makes sense. Basically, when looking at the back of the bass, how far in do I go from the right of the bass? And how far down from the neck pocket, etc? Does any of this make sense?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
Re: Thick/Thin measurements of body contour of NR Bird?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 02:51:14 AM »
I have a drawing. I'll send it to your email address

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 05:12:30 AM »
Can anyone tell me the thickness of the thinest point of the belly contour on an original NR Bird? In inches, please? I have a Red TH-1 with no body contour and I am seriously thinking about attempting to carve one out but I was wondering how deep to carve out. Even better, if someone has specs of the body contour in general that would be great. If that makes sense. Basically, when looking at the back of the bass, how far in do I go from the right of the bass? And how far down from the neck pocket, etc? Does any of this make sense?

If you have a beer gut it does!  ;)

The thickness of the thinnest point is 1/2". Turned on its face the body contour ends/has its lowest point 6" from below and extends 2 7/8" from the lowest point of the body above, is 9 1/2" away from the lowest screw of the cavity cover if you align a ruler with that screw and the top left one. The lowest point of the contour is 9 1/2" from the right and 7 1/2 inches from the left. 

Does that make sense? Of course, you can always diet ...  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 05:25:21 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 10:51:15 AM »
Excellent! Thanks guys.

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 06:08:51 PM »
Are you sure the thinnest part is 1/2 inch? I am measuring it out right now and man, that seems really thin.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 08:21:36 AM »
I'll remeasure when I'm back in office on Tuesday. It might have been 3/4" and I misread the nonsensical subdivisions of the shitperial system. Real men are metric.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 11:22:57 AM »
.............It might have been 3/4" and I misread the nonsensical subdivisions of the shitperial system. Real men are metric.

Once again it's back to the twisted idea that a measurement system based on ten is better than the rightful Imperial system :P :P  I'm positive everyone I know can divide by 64ths, and 72nds ;D 

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 05:23:31 PM »
Yeah, 3/4 is sounding a little more reasonable and by looking at photos, that would also be my guess. Yes, if you could double check for me that would be great. Thanks.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 05:05:28 AM »
There is some rounding of the edges making the thinnest part right at the edge .5", .6" at the most. It doesn't get 3/4" thick until about 3/4" in from the edge.

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 11:37:42 PM »
So it probably is 3/4" without the routed edge and then after you route it it appears to be 1/2". Does that sound right? So I would still cut out the contour and leave it to about 3/4 of an inch and then round out the edges, right? 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 06:18:14 AM »
Remeasured, it still is as thin as before. The bevelling is the culprit.

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 03:50:50 PM »
So i cut the belly contour yesterday on my Bachbird. I was a little nervous about it but it came out much better than I thought it would. It looks pretty perfect and I am relieved. I forgot that the Guitar Center by my house had an original 60's NR bird in the vintage department so I headed down there to measure it myself just to make 100% sure. I trusted that "Uwe" gave me accurate measurements but I wanted to make sure that I was actually interpreting what he was saying correctly and the contour is something I definitely did not want to screw up. Thanks to "Uwe" and Rob for the info and advice. I am rounding up some pictures and I will start a new thread documenting my refin/mods. Wish me luck. 

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 04:13:49 PM »
Cool! What did you use to cut the contour?

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 04:22:13 PM »
A drew it out in pencil then used masking tape to tape it all off and then I used a wood rasp and then an electric hand sander and then I did the final sanding by hand.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 04:48:52 PM »
A drew it out in pencil then used masking tape to tape it all off and then I used a wood rasp and then an electric hand sander and then I did the final sanding by hand.

That's about how I do it.  I try to take a little off with a jigsaw first.  Anyway , looking forward to seeing your project updates.