Author Topic: Has anyone tried the Bartolini T4CBC pickups?  (Read 10305 times)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone tried the Bartolini T4CBC pickups?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 02:42:53 PM »
NICE

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 04:43:46 PM »
They would likely fit into an N.O.S. '76 cover after a "peeling" however you'd be drilling mounting holes at new locations - with possible tragic results unless you can tell where the coils are. I wrecked one Gibson pup trying this.

Good point. I hadn't thought about the screw holes being in different locations.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 05:22:12 PM »
My God, why can't anything be easy??? Ha..ha. I just want decent, affordable pickups with chrome covers.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 06:03:26 PM »

Bartolini could probably tell you if you can drill the holes in the original places to fit a GreatDealz cover.

Has anyone used SD SSB-4 pups?  They're passive and a drop in replacement for Bach.  I have not heard them but am thinking about trying a pair.  Very reasonably priced.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/view/74

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 06:36:30 PM »
Actually, I have a SSB-4N in my ex-Hörnisse Bach. I had bought it previously for some reason and never used it. I like it much better than the Artec and it is a perfect drop-in replacement. I'm using a 500k pot and 0.1 uf cap and it gives me some very nice bottom.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 06:37:47 PM »
My God, why can't anything be easy??? Ha..ha. I just want decent, affordable pickups with chrome covers.

Indeed!

I figured by the time I was done Horse-Assin' around it just made more sense to use Lull's, I know, I know $$$$.  
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 07:10:42 PM »
Yeah, that's why I haven't jumped on a set of pickups yet because I figure that after all is said and done I will probably spend close to what the Lulls cost. I'm actually usually very good about this type of stuff and like to just get what I want from the get go and not mess around. You know, just bite the bullet and be done with it AND be happy in the end but they are so expensive so if I am only considering spending about $200 on a pair because after you factor in the fact that I've already spent about $80 in covers that I will at least cut the price in half of buying Lulls. That's IF I can make the mods with the covers easily enough. The Duncan pickups are really cheap which is super nice.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 07:40:16 PM »

Bartolini could probably tell you if you can drill the holes in the original places to fit a GreatDealz cover.

Has anyone used SD SSB-4 pups?  They're passive and a drop in replacement for Bach.  I have not heard them but am thinking about trying a pair.  Very reasonably priced.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/view/74

I had a pair in Fenderbird and I liked them.  Middish to my ears and warm - I didn't think they had the growl thing going on though.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 02:57:01 AM »
Actually, I have a SSB-4N in my ex-Hörnisse Bach. I had bought it previously for some reason and never used it. I like it much better than the Artec and it is a perfect drop-in replacement. I'm using a 500k pot and 0.1 uf cap and it gives me some very nice bottom.

I had a pair in Fenderbird and I liked them.  Middish to my ears and warm - I didn't think they had the growl thing going on though.

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna give a set a try.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 08:05:44 AM »

What's funny to me is that my Bartolini pickup came in a bass from California to Washington and now is residing comfortably in Illinois..............Little fugger is better travelled than me  >:(
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 12:56:04 PM »
"the mojo hobo" - So you have a Bart in the Heather Poly NR-Bird and A SD in the Bachbird. Which one do you like better? Does one sound more like the original 60's pickup than the other or are neither of them similar to the 60's pickups but good in their own way? Does one have more mids or low end, etc? I think I am going to go with one of these two pickups so now I need to narrow it down and I would love to get a review from someone who actually owns both. I'm sure everyone else would also like to hear from someone that owns both. Thanks

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 01:03:19 PM »
Think either of those pups looks fine in black plastic....not like a Model 1 or anything.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 04:35:56 AM »

What's funny to me is that my Bartolini pickup came in a bass from California to Washington and now is residing comfortably in Illinois..............Little fugger is better travelled than me  >:(

Actually it's in Ohio now after a stop in Illinois :mrgreen: 

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 05:15:53 AM »
"the mojo hobo" - So you have a Bart in the Heather Poly NR-Bird and A SD in the Bachbird. Which one do you like better? Does one sound more like the original 60's pickup than the other or are neither of them similar to the 60's pickups but good in their own way? Does one have more mids or low end, etc? I think I am going to go with one of these two pickups so now I need to narrow it down and I would love to get a review from someone who actually owns both. I'm sure everyone else would also like to hear from someone that owns both. Thanks

I really like the SD in the Bach. I did like the Bart also, but it has been at least 3 years since I've heard it, and about 30 years since I played an original '60s pickup. There are others here who could better address that.

The SD has a very nice low end. I like good clean bottom and it delivers. I don't remember the Bart being too much different.

Of course your fingers, ears and perception will all be different than mine, both are good pickups but don't expect either to sound like a '60s pickup.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 07:30:57 AM »
I really like the SD in the Bach. I did like the Bart also, but it has been at least 3 years since I've heard it, and about 30 years since I played an original '60s pickup. There are others here who could better address that.

The SD has a very nice low end. I like good clean bottom and it delivers. I don't remember the Bart being too much different.

Of course your fingers, ears and perception will all be different than mine, both are good pickups but don't expect either to sound like a '60s pickup.

IIRC I heard Seymour Duncan quoted as saying he designed his basslines pickups to be in between EMGs and Barts tonewise.  That was when they were introduced.