Author Topic: my autumnglo 4001  (Read 9226 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
Re: my autumnglo 4001
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 01:26:48 PM »
Finally got around to mixing another tune from the Robot Envy sessions. This is actually a continuation of "Taurus 4001" that I posted earlier - we kept playing and it evolved into something else entirely. Still the 4001 played with a pick - I used my SF-2 again to bring out some of the highs and mids that weren't obvious on the original recording.

Bonus points if you can figure out where the song title comes from - no, it's not named after the Canadian metal guitarist...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 02:52:48 PM »
This track has a great feel and dynamics.  Brings back memories of drifting through space  :vader:.  Really enjoyed this one. 

Love the strumming too, and how you really dig in around 2:53.

Is the meaning of the title "new and old"?

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 11:18:34 AM »
Thanks Joe. "Nova" certainly means new, not sure what "aldo" means myself! So the name doesn't necessarily come from the meaning of the words. I'll give another hint, "aldo" is the key term, it is connected to the bass pedals, and you might see the name at the mall (not sure if it's throughout the US, but I'll let it sit for a little bit)...

Listened to the track in my car this morning - I think I need to try and get the bass to "pop" just a little bit more - sounded a little too tubby. Thinking I might try the 4-band compressor in Ozone on just the bass track...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 12:09:36 PM »
Nova I knew, but had to google "aldo".  Took one hell of a search string to sift through all the lyric sites!  ;D  life is just a fan ta see can you live this fan ta see... life! beewwww woooo wooo woooo waaah waah waah waah

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 11:49:42 PM »
Nova I knew, but had to google "aldo".  Took one hell of a search string to sift through all the lyric sites!  ;D  life is just a fan ta see can you live this fan ta see... life! beewwww woooo wooo woooo waaah waah waah waah

I was never a fan of Aldo Nova - a friend in high school liked him, I remember seeing the video to "Monkey on your Back" once, that's about it. Guess he works with Celine Dion now!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 05:34:13 PM »
Ok.. so I had some quality time with google once again.  Is the meaning "new shoes"?

Actually, somehow in the process of searching I stumbled across an advancement in footwear technology that I felt was post-worthy:

Can you imagine the level of articulation that could be achieved using these with some Taurus pedals?  :o  ;D

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 07:39:13 PM »
Actually, Aldo Nova's first record is really quit good.Fantasy is the weakest track on it.Hot love,too late,under the gun, are killer tunes. :)
Life is like a big fan.And sometimes the CACA hits it!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 06:10:50 AM »
Certainly up to your usual standards, Harry... :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2010, 05:56:08 PM »
Wow Joe, you got it! My wife would go into Aldo some times and I saw some really pointy-toed shoes, thought they would be perfect for playing bass pedals - my feet are wide, I was always stepping on adjacent notes at the same time, so I used them for the first time at this recording session - Greg never heard of Aldo Nova, but when I told him about the Aldo shoes, he said Nova Aldo and it stuck!

Any thoughts you or anyone else have on the mix are appreciated. I really like this one - I feel like this very much represents a major part of who I am as a bass player and a musician. I can hear a bunch of different influences from throughout my life - Chris Squire (especially the live version of "The Fish" from Yessongs), Lemmy (even though I'm not using distortion), even songs like U2's "40" and Pat Metheny's "Two Folk Songs: Two" from 80/81 with Charlie Haden.

This will probably be my last post for 2010, so happy new year everybody!

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 11:29:46 PM »
Didn't post in this thread for all of 2011, now it's 2012 so I thought I would share a couple of things:

Autumnglo in the studio:

Autumnglo in the (California) winterglow:

Autumnglo and the bamboo grove:

And a recent track of a rehearsal with a new band I've been playing with - the recording was kind of wonky so I had fun fading in and out between the band recording and the solo bass recording I made with my Tascam recorder, plus my SF-2 Superfilter:

Valley of the Filter Beast

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 11:14:58 PM »
Another recording, this is an old one from 2002, the same year I got this bass:

http://soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven/is-free-take-one

Kind of a non-typical sound from a 4001?

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 08:30:19 PM »
Nice clips and great bass tones. I love the mid range growl on the Taurus clip.  Rics are one of the most distinctive of basses - along with T-birds!
Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F
Rig: Ampeg, Hiwatt, Fender TV