Author Topic: One for ze kölleckshün?  (Read 9235 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
Re: One for ze kölleckshün?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 07:43:04 AM »
Beautiful bass!
Goodluck Uwe

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 11:50:51 AM »
These days, I enjoy playing bass recreationally, it used to fill me with dread. That only stopped when I got my first one a couple of years ago, my current herd is ten, nine of them Gibsons and only one Fender. The thought of an RD Fretless always appealed to me - I was just waiting for one to come along.

Anyway, I've put a bid in, fate will take its course.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 12:28:19 PM »
I haven't followed RD Artist prices, so I may be off base here, but isn't that pretty high for an opening bid?

IMO bidding this early can tend to drive up the price.  If you know the max you are willing to pay it's a better move to wait until very close to the end of bidding, then you know if you're in or out.  Better yet, use a snipe program and have your highest bid put in at the last second.  Well worth the extra 1% added only if you win.  I use EZsniper, first 3 snipes are free.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 12:32:29 PM »
IMO bidding this early can tend to drive up the price.  If you know the max you are willing to pay it's a better move to wait until very close to the end of bidding, then you know if you're in or out.  Better yet, use a snipe program and have your highest bid put in at the last second.  Well worth the extra 1% added only if you win.  I use EZsniper, first 3 snipes are free.

I've come to accept this as well.  It seems to offend some folks' sensibilities, but it works.  My target is about 15 seconds before auction close.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 12:56:38 PM »
Sniping is hard if you are in a different time zone. Unless you want to sit by the computer in the middle of the night. I rarely bid on stuff that has a lot of bidders plus this was already priced right from the start to keep bargain hunters away. I put in bis early with my max limit and a security cushion, if I'm still outbid, I'm content with the realization that someone needed it much more dearly than I.

With this a fretless I'm pretty confident that there will be little demanding competition - most fretless players are Jacolytes forever on search for that JB holy grail. A heavy set-neck bass with an off-set body and an ambitious active circuit won't rob them of their sleep.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 01:07:55 PM »
I've come to accept this as well.  It seems to offend some folks' sensibilities, but it works.  My target is about 15 seconds before auction close.
Should someone with a slow internet connection be offended because someone else has a T10 or better and can bid later?
Obviously snipe programs do not violate Ebay's rules so for me it makes sense to take every advantage.

Sniping is hard if you are in a different time zone. Unless you want to sit by the computer in the middle of the night. I rarely bid on stuff that has a lot of bidders plus this was already priced right from the start to keep bargain hunters away. I put in bis early with my max limit and a security cushion, if I'm still outbid, I'm content with the realization that someone needed it much more dearly than I.

Bidding at the last moment isn't sniping, using a program is.  With one you could have placed your exact bid with it and it would be placed at the last second, no sitting up late...maybe I shouldn't be telling you this ;D

if I'm still outbid, I'm content with the realization that someone needed it much more dearly than I.
+1

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 08:59:13 PM »
Good luck Uwe! I've never seen a fretless RD in person, & this is the best looking color IMHO. Mine are in Fireburst, my second choice.  :toast:
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Hornisse

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 09:15:02 PM »
I noticed that Guitar Center Raleigh has put up a Natural RD Artist Bass today in their used inventory for $1599.

I just noticed the stencil on the case says Wayne Nelson.  Could this be the same guy that plays bass for The Little River Band?  Hope you get the bass Uwe!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:30:19 PM by Hörnisse »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 10:01:31 AM »
Not much competiton so far, much less serious one. My countryman just threw in a curiosity bid I think. I thought as much. There is never much of a battle going on for fretless basses, especially not Gibson ones. I might own it by Sunday.  8)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2010, 10:48:36 AM »
I love the way the Aussie ebayer reacted to my trust-enticing shipping question which the seller surprisingly quoted! I had written:

"I'm a professional litigator at a law firm, you can find me at www.cliffordchance.com if you look for Uwe Hornung under "People". "

And Smart Aussie quips brilliantly:

"Sorry I'm not a Lawyer -- I'm a Electrician, You can find me anywhere."

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'd send him a coplimentary email if I had his address!

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 03:24:41 PM by uwe »

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2010, 12:30:20 PM »
I noticed that Guitar Center Raleigh has put up a Natural RD Artist Bass today in their used inventory for $1599.

You want I should go take a look at it for you? I admit to being curious about their weight.

And yeah, Uwe, that fretless is a beauty! Good luck!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 01:19:06 PM »
Fingers crossed, Guv... fingers crossed for ya... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010, 01:34:45 PM »
My fruity power is at your side Uwe, as always.
Don’t be stupid, be a smartie - come and join die schwarze Hardware party!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2010, 03:28:30 PM »
You want I should go take a look at it for you? I admit to being curious about their weight.

And yeah, Uwe, that fretless is a beauty! Good luck!

No thanks, Denis, I have three fretted ones already, only a fretless one is missed in the stable.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2010, 04:39:29 PM »
My fruity power is at your side Uwe, as always.

I got the fruity  :gay: power too ;D 

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...