Author Topic: Dano Incoming!  (Read 3400 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Dano Incoming!
« on: July 06, 2010, 09:39:34 PM »
I don't really need this, but I could NOT resist!!!!!  I play in a surf band, after all!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300442058644&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Danelectro '63' Reissue Longscale Bass in Seafoam Green
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Re: Dano Incoming!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 10:05:25 PM »
Seems like a good deal to me. Enjoy it!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 06:42:28 AM »
I just picked up its twin sister off of TB last week.  I have a few other dano's reissues from the made in korea days.  Pickups on this one seem more alive.  I was surprised on how good it sounds.  my older ones are more thuddy and scream for flats.  I may leave rounds on it as it sounds really good.  Typical Dano stuff - tape corners,  crappy finish work....tape actually yellows from smoke and sweat i guess.  has some mojo....

enjoy !!!

older sisters

Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 07:49:07 AM »
Geez, you're a Dano believer!

I'm at the point where I'm neglecting some basses and playing others, so I'm probably gonna thin the heard a bit more...but I've been hankering for a Dano for some time, and I'm not personally that hyped on the Longhorn body style (different strokes) so this one looked just right.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 08:37:24 AM »
bought the longhorns back in 90's when they came out. Always found them intriguing but they are  nothing to really speak about.  The 63  sounds really good.  the hodad is probably the most versatile with the 3 pups but 60 humm is an issue.  the dc was my favorite until the 63 showed up.  all that being said i seldom use any of them.  If i do it is usually only for 3rd  sets in crappy bars when no one cares and my back is barking.  I play on and off with 3 bands so I try and use different basses for rehearsals but always seem to use the same 12 or so for gigs....I only recently discovered my love for semi hollows so they have been breaking into the "real rotation" in a subtle way. 

i have been thinning the herd for the last few months actually but my GAS never seems to go away....
JIM

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 10:42:29 AM »
Congrats on the Dano!

I've had a hankering for one of those dead-on '58 longhorns (or a JJ), but need it like a hole in the head.  Still, they have a unique sound and I think I'd get on well with one for some things...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 10:48:23 AM »
Al... $194... :o as you say... Surf's Up...!

That tops my budget Squier

For that matter, that purchase increased my herd by a third... ;D

Never played a Dano but I do like that black Mosrite stylee and the sparklee one - never been a fan of the other (lyre shaped) pair, but each to their own...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 11:02:43 AM »
Al... $194... :o as you say... Surf's Up...!

I'd have been delighted to get it for less, but considering the resale on those usually runs over $200 (and I was willing to go a bit over $200) I don't feel bad.  The bid went in with 20 seconds left in the auction, which left minimal time for someone to enter multiple bids and outbid me.  I'm a long-term member of "Snipers R'Us."

Why doesn't somebody buy my daggone DeArmond Pilot bass (classifieds) so I can balance the scales on this one?  Seems like someone here could use it......

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 09:06:13 AM »
And now - here it is!  One small chip just where my forearm rests on the side (visible in the second photo) - and pristine other than that.  SOUNDS different from anything else I have.  The original rounds are still on it, so full treble is mighty bright.  I find that running the tone coltrol down about 50% gives me a sound I prefer.  It's always hard to characterize the sound of a bass, but I think I'd call this one "woody" in tone.

I'm really liking it.  My wife calls it lime sherbet green.  Yesterday i saw a full-dress Harley cruising down the road - same color, including the WWII German infantry helmet the rider was wearing!

Interesting to see a solid black neck on an instrument that's surf green with cream binding tape.  I think it's going to need one thickness of business card shim in the neck pocket to get the action above the 5th fret where I want it.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 11:08:32 AM »
enjoy.  really clean.  looks almost unplayed.  I agree they have a very nice sound.  Much brighter than my other danos.  I was thinking of flats on mine but hate to spend that much and then not like them after they are installed.  Plus the string width with dano tuners is a concern.    maybe half rounds...

ride the wave
JIM

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 12:02:15 PM »
I'm not the best at hearing fine differences between basses - and I tend to disbelieve half of what I hear, since I think that many of the things people hear are "psycho-acoustics".  But this bass definitely has a different sound from my others.  I'm going to compare it with my Casady just to see the differences.

Bright is right!  With the tone up all the way, it's a lot brighter than I prefer.  But if you wanted a real high-bright "recorded in a garage 60's" sound, it would do it.

BTW- I've found the best prices on Labella flats at Imperial Guitars online...most of their labellas are less than $30 online, which is a super deal!  They've even ordered me Deep Talkin' flat short scale strings that they don't show on their website, and gave me comparable prices.

http://www.imperialguitar.com/

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 12:11:55 PM »
Nice bass! I like danos, especially this bodyshape, always reminding me of late Syd Barrett.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 12:46:15 PM »
I'm not the best at hearing fine differences between basses - and I tend to disbelieve half of what I hear, since I think that many of the things people hear are "psycho-acoustics".  But this bass definitely has a different sound from my others.  I'm going to compare it with my Casady just to see the differences.

Bright is right!  With the tone up all the way, it's a lot brighter than I prefer.  But if you wanted a real high-bright "recorded in a garage 60's" sound, it would do it.

BTW- I've found the best prices on Labella flats at Imperial Guitars online...most of their labellas are less than $30 online, which is a super deal!  They've even ordered me Deep Talkin' flat short scale strings that they don't show on their website, and gave me comparable prices.

http://www.imperialguitar.com/

thats funny.  I actually ordered most of my danos from Imperial.  they are about 40 minutes from my house.  good guys and good prices....
JIM

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 02:44:15 PM »
Nice score ;D. One of these days I'm gonna get me one of them Danos :P.
When I was a kid I would have cut off my hands before I'd pick up a Dano  :-[. Now I think they're pretty cool  8).
Rick
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 05:05:12 AM by rahock »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 02:20:48 AM »
Looks like you got yourself a nice one, Al...

Nice bass! I like danos, especially this bodyshape, always reminding me of late Syd Barrett.

Or maybe Jimmy Page...?

Could you give us some more infor on this one please Jim...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...