Author Topic: EB-3L  (Read 36117 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: EB-3L
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 01:59:15 PM »
Well, I was thinking about stripping everything around to logo and repainting the face.  I also have an aftermarket pearl Gibson logo inlay I could use.  It's pretty close to original, not perfect but about 90% correct.  I also have a friend who does gold replacement decals that are almost perfect repros.  What do you think?

If possible I'd feather the paint carefully,  put clear tape over the gold logo and use an exacto to cut around the letters leaving the tape on them only. Shoot black, pull the tape and shoot some clear coats, wet sanding between them to level everything out.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 02:01:25 PM »
Well, I was thinking about stripping everything around to logo and repainting the face.  I also have an aftermarket pearl Gibson logo inlay I could use.  It's pretty close to original, not perfect but about 90% correct.  I also have a friend who does gold replacement decals that are almost perfect repros.  What do you think?

I took a closer look and I had originally thoght that this had the holly veneer and inlay - no excuse not to have caught that :-[  I think that DaVinci couldn't repair that paint :sad:  I think a strip and decal might be the way to go - IMO it certainly shouldn't hurt the value since it already been modded past comprehension.

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
If possible I'd feather the paint carefully,  put clear tape over the gold logo and use an exacto to cut around the letters leaving the tape on them only. Shoot black, pull the tape and shoot some clear coats, wet sanding between them to level everything out.

So DaVinci now resides in Florida ;D  Feel like a road trip?

You really have nothing to loose here - if doesn't work you can always strip it and go with the repaint and new decal.

Have you bought that airbrush yet?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 02:23:48 PM »
You could always leave it just as it is - MO... JO...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 02:53:44 PM »

That may be the only approach that works.  I'm not sure the current headstock logo is salvageable.

A question - what's this thing gonna balance like?  I unloaded my Epi EB-3 quickly because it was the worst neck-diver I ever held.  also, the way the body slung from the straps threw the neck way out to the left, so i felt like I was reaching farther than I did with any other bass.

Loved the look - couldn't live with the ergonomics.  That's why I intended to go the double T-bird pickup route with the Epi EB-0 which is now for sale in the classifieds....(hint).....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 03:04:32 PM »

A question - what's this thing gonna balance like?  I unloaded my Epi EB-3 quickly because it was the worst neck-diver I ever held.  also, the way the body slung from the straps threw the neck way out to the left, so i felt like I was reaching farther than I did with any other bass.

Balance?  We don't need no stinkin' balance.  You want balance watch FOX. ;)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 03:21:02 PM »
Balance?  We don't need no stinkin' balance.  You want balance watch FOX. ;)

Hmmm...OK, gotcha.  No balance problems there.  Reminds me of the world view at Bob's Country Bunker:

"We have both kinds of music...country AND western!"
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 03:41:41 PM »
Yeehaw!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 03:52:43 PM »
"Duck, give me a mountain tempo in A minor". ..

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 05:37:48 PM »
I hear you guys.  I gotta think more about the logo.  No airbrush yet, but some day!

I'm not a neck diving fan, but some basses are not as bad as others.  I might try a different spot for the top strap button, that sometimes helps.  I wasn't looking for this, it just sorta feel into my lap.  If I had thought more about the neck dive I might have passed, but I'm gonna restore it to my tastes and see what happens.  There's always eBay in things go awry!!!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 06:57:42 PM »
Ultra light tuners will help.  There are the Gotoh Resolites as well though I lean more towards Hipshot for their responsiveness and timely customer service as well as quality.

Besides, fixing it up is 90% of the fun ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2010, 07:15:56 PM »
Ultra light tuners will help.  There are the Gotoh Resolites as well though I lean more towards Hipshot for their responsiveness and timely customer service as well as quality.

Besides, fixing it up is 90% of the fun ;D

Good idea - plan ahead by minimizing tuner weight...that has to help!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2010, 07:36:54 PM »
I've used Hipshot Ultralites many times, might make that change here too.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2010, 10:31:47 PM »
Ah - Here it is. 

If you dress up the board, you might as well dress up the headstock.  If you go basic, pic up a gold Gibson decal which is easy enough to do.  But if you put inlays, then upgrade the face. 

If your veneer face comes out nice, maybe skip the white!
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 06:23:04 AM »
Added a maple veneer shim to the top of the neck to level it out.  I'll sand her down tonight.  The twist really was only at the top couple frets. 

I've decided to use MOP blocks and probably a thin binding on the new fret board since this is a major overhaul.  Ultralight tuners too to reduce neck dive.  Will have to do some major headstock filling, etc. if I go that route.