Author Topic: Best Rock voices  (Read 6347 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Best Rock voices
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 12:15:55 PM »
Great rock voices:

Jim Morrison
Roger Daltry
Justin Hayward

Each for a different reason...and different kinds of voices.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 12:38:12 PM »

Frankie Miller has to be one of the greatest voices in rock of the past century
Again another soulful singer who makes you feel every note.

He was a no band actor too; this short-story gave me nightmares when I first saw it as a kid. And I thought it was what Glasgow was like before I went there, in some places it still is......
Warning; not nice!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfmIVsXBCOw&feature=related

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 01:09:17 PM »
Thanx for posting Stu! I remember Robbo telling me he was a hard man. Well, he sure could act one!

I actually meant to post Frankie's version of the Lennon classic Jealous Guy, but couldn't find it.
Found it now: The best version of this song I've ever heard.

There is also a great live radio version from the Peel sessions on YouTube. But the sound quality kinda sucks and it's incomplete.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 02:19:22 PM »
"Rock" is a broad term....

Robin Zander of Cheap Trick and Scott Weiland are the two with the best voices that are chameleons and can nail most any style IMO.

Paul Rodgers and Lou Gramm for that medium dirty sound.

No one mentioned a female but my pick would have to be Ann Wilson of Heart.

I also liked Joe Lynn Turner of the many sngers who had to put up with Blackmore of the years. Also a big Who fan, so I guess Daltry would be in there too. Steven Tyler maybe.

But if you are talking "metal," that's a whole different thing.

And while he's technically not a great singer, I actually really did most everything Tom Petty has ever done. Probably more due to his songwriting.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 04:28:35 PM by mc2NY »

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 08:29:04 AM »
Some great voices mentioned here already.
I grew up a huge Pink Floyd, Rainbow, Purple, Uriah Heep, Nazareth, Nugent, Bad Co. fan.
Love the voices that came/went through those bands.

From more recent times, Chris Cornell from Audioslave and Weiland are also easy to listen to.
The dude from Disturbed has an amazing voice.

A couple of personal favorites of mine are: John Doe from X (some might consider that more punk oriented, perhaps), Craig Bloxom (from Australia's Spy V. Spy) and my all-time favorite band (Clutch): Neil Fallon
Neil Fallon just belts it out and uses no backup vocalists.  Live - the guy just kills.

Clutch's version of Mississippi Fred McDowell's "Worried Life Blues":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx6FV2qR2TY&feature=channel

Steve
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 08:59:10 AM »
I'll throw Gregg Allman into the mix...

I would have preferred to have the paired tunes (Don't Want You/Cross To Bear) but couldn't find them as a vid, so... I have considered this one of the finest introductions to a band ever recorded...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2010, 04:17:48 PM »
Great stuff!  Terry Reid is on my list, Cheap Trick covered him on their first album.  Frankie Miller, Marriot, early Rod, Rodgers especially with Free, my all time favorite band.  Listen to very early Greg Allman, he's a dead ringer for B.B. King.  Used to play frat parties around here in the Allman Joys w/Duane pre Brothers.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 09:09:27 AM »
Talk about voices of Rock, I'm interviewing Glenn Hughes next week. But I'll try focus on his bass playing rather than his singing as I'm writing for a bass magazine ;-)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 09:15:05 AM by Basvarken »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 11:22:40 AM »
Wow!!! I'm jealeous. Ask him why he played the Ric with Purple initially and then went back to the P-Bass. And whether the project with Gibson building him a signature model is still on. They should call it the "Gibson Stormbringer", alternatively, the "Gibson Medusa" bass!!!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Hornisse

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2010, 11:31:10 AM »
I have to say Freddy Mercury.  One of my all time favorite bands!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2010, 11:32:52 AM »
Used to play frat parties around here in the Allman Joys w/Duane pre Brothers.

Perhaps you'ld better expand on that one...? unless you just mean the area you live in... ;)

Got all the early stuff and some non standard items from that era... best early stuff is probably commercially available, done whilst they were p*ssed off about playing covers for Liberty...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2010, 12:09:05 PM »
Perhaps you'ld better expand on that one...? unless you just mean the area you live in... ;)

Got all the early stuff and some non standard items from that era... best early stuff is probably commercially available, done whilst they were p*ssed off about playing covers for Liberty...

Sorry, should have been HE used...
Gainesville, University of Florida, mid 60's.  BTW, one of the earliest Allman Brothers appearances was at a battle of the bands there.  They were dq'd because it came out they had a record deal and an album would soon be released.  They bought all their Marshall amps from a small music store in town and used to trade it in there regularly.  A lot of local guys ended up with their used stuff.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2010, 12:14:58 PM »
Some rather odd stuff ended up at Hard Rock... ;D

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2010, 12:35:08 PM »
Talk about voices of Rock, I'm interviewing Glenn Hughes next week. But I'll try focus on his bass playing rather than his singing as I'm writing for a bass magazine ;-)

Green with envy, too!  You should ask him why his bass playing is often overlooked, because of his vocals.  I know that I do, but when I listen to Soul Mover, I'm reminded of how good he really is.  The early Trapeze stuff showed his bass work more balanced against his vocals.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2010, 01:09:24 PM »
Yeah I'm definitely going to ask him about his bass playing and how it influences/affects his singing.
And indeed ask about the gear he used on the new Black Country Communion album. I do hear something of a Ric tone in the opening/title track.
The rest is probably Precision and Jazz Bass.
It's a great album by the way. It's the first album in a long time that was not produced by Glenn himself. Kevin Shirley did a great job bringing Glenn Hughes and Joe Bonamassa together. And bringing out the best in them.

They even recorded a new version of Medusa which in my opinion sounds way better than the original, thanx to Jason Bonham.