Author Topic: Repairing EB-0 headstock crack  (Read 8668 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Repairing EB-0 headstock crack
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2010, 09:55:46 PM »
I just remembered who had put a Supertone on a pre-67: MARICOPAA (Chris S.) in this thread: http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=2274.0

You might want to PM him and see what happened as a result of him sending his bass to Hipshot (be patient, I think he has limited web access) or just talk to Dave @ Hipshot.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2010, 02:54:55 AM »
Here are my '65 and '67 bridge components side by side, '65 on right.

The spacing of the posts is the same on both, the difference is the posts themselves.  The '67 bridge is thicker than the '65, so they changed the posts.  Thread pitch is the same.  So the Hipshot might work if you get the later posts.

BTW, my '67 bridge tilts a bit, too much slop designed into the post, I shimmed it to get it level.  Otherwise intonates OK.  I'm wondering if the posts are original.  No prob w/ the '65. 

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2010, 03:30:13 PM »
I just remembered who had put a Supertone on a pre-67: MARICOPAA (Chris S.) in this thread: http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=2274.0

You might want to PM him and see what happened as a result of him sending his bass to Hipshot (be patient, I think he has limited web access) or just talk to Dave @ Hipshot.

Thanks, Dave. After reading that thread it appears the Hipshot will fit on the early 60's Gibsons, but will be angled as per the pictures in the thread.  I could live with that easier than the BadAss on there.  However, I've also PM'd MARICOPAA to ask if he ever had any luck with Hipshot.  Seems like someone ought to be making a bridge for all those late 50's / early 60's Gibsons!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2010, 05:23:26 AM »

Best info I've been able to find online is that the Schaller 460 bridge (not the later models with a letter after the 460) is correct for this app, but they haven't been made for years so the few floating around are going to cost $$.  I've started doing regular searches for one, but if I can't find one, I may resort to a bar bridge.  

one of the last times I was at Chuck Levin's, they had a few of the Schaller's in the display case in the guitar repair shop.  I can't remember if they were the 460 or the 460A, though.  if your interested, the number is 301-946-8808.  ask for the guitar repair shop.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2010, 07:43:13 AM »
one of the last times I was at Chuck Levin's, they had a few of the Schaller's in the display case in the guitar repair shop.  I can't remember if they were the 460 or the 460A, though.  if your interested, the number is 301-946-8808.  ask for the guitar repair shop.

Thanks, but dang - called them and the repair shop is closed on Mondays.  I shall be "in suspenders" till tomorrow.....

But there's good news about the extra rout with the Model One pickup - the route was done cleanly and the pickup does snug down into the cavity nicely - the screws on the cover were loose, which made it look like the pickup was forced to sit above the body by a shallow cavity.  

Didn't get time to work on the headstock last weekend - Saturday I moved #1 daughter from apartment A to apartment B...Sunday I helped with house cleanup and changed the power steering pump on daughter #2's 1991 Camaro.  Not the worst job I've run into by a long shot, but getting the pulley off the front of the stinkin' pump took 1.5 frustrating hours just by itself.  
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:53:32 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2010, 01:41:39 PM »
I just called Hipshot - missed Dave, but they said he'd call me tomorrow.

If it would help, I'd gladly ship him the bass so that he could get the measurements...after all, it would be to my own benefit, and then he'd have a hard-to-find product that should sell to early Gibson owners.

Anyone else need a bridge to fit an early 60's Gibson?  Might help convince him if I could tell him there are others waiting...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2010, 12:14:07 PM »
one of the last times I was at Chuck Levin's, they had a few of the Schaller's in the display case in the guitar repair shop.  I can't remember if they were the 460 or the 460A, though.  if your interested, the number is 301-946-8808.  ask for the guitar repair shop.

I called and they have two Schaller bridges in the display case, but no markings to indicate which models they are.  If you happen to go by there, could you possibly take a cell phone photo of each and mail them to me?

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2010, 03:52:16 AM »
sure.  I'll try to stop by sometime in the next few days.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2010, 07:25:55 AM »
Thanks!  No call from Hipshot yet...so I called them!

Dave said...we have the bridge for you!  I spoke with Bill in their shop...thanks to a couple of requests (one from a kind gent on this forum who loaned them a bass to measure) they have modified the bridge and it will replace their existing 2-point in about 4 weeks.

The mod is that the G-string side post hole will be elongated and a set screw will be added on the neck side.  If you have the 50's through early 60's Gibson series, just back the screw out and the offset post will mount.  If you have a later Gibson, run the set screw in to the point where it lines up the posts, and you're good to go.

VERY nice and helpful people!  I think I'll start a separate thread on this just to make it easy to find.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2010, 02:50:38 PM »
Edit: as I noted in my Gibson forum thread, I found the original bar bridge in the storage pocket of the case.  I now plan to begin by using it, and buy a substitute if needed.

BUT - after reflection - given the possible complexity of the headstock crack, unless I can satisfy myself that there is only ONE crack, I'm going to have a luthier do it...and I'm not satisfied about that.

I spoke with the owner of Spotlight Music here in Fort Collins and he assures me that their luthier Dan has repaired quite a few Gibson headstock breaks. Rob knows his stuff and has treated me right - I'll take the bass to meet with their luthier Friday AM and see what he has to say about the headstock on the EB-0.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 05:37:50 PM by Pilgrim »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2010, 07:37:35 PM »
Good luck!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2010, 10:24:17 AM »
Seconded...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2010, 01:55:40 PM »
Well, the luthier thought he could repair it without trouble.  He said worst potential problem was that it might crack farther when he opened it up to get glue in it - which I understand.  Hopefully that won't happen, but you must get the crack open far enough to get glue in it.  He has the appropriate cauls to clamp it properly - should be ready next week.  He uses Probond, which is a polyurethane glue. Reading up on it, sounds like a good material to use.

Price is $80, which seems more than fair.

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2010, 06:37:26 PM »
Seems like a good deal to me too.

Say Pilgrim, I noticed you are in Ft. Collins maybe when you get it done we can get together... I'm in Westminster.
Bring on the Nubiles

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2010, 07:10:34 PM »
Well, the luthier thought he could repair it without trouble.  He said worst potential problem was that it might crack farther when he opened it up to get glue in it - which I understand.  Hopefully that won't happen, but you must get the crack open far enough to get glue in it.  He has the appropriate cauls to clamp it properly - should be ready next week.  He uses Probond, which is a polyurethane glue. Reading up on it, sounds like a good material to use.

Price is $80, which seems more than fair.

Very reasonable.  I'll have to check out that glue too!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!