Author Topic: 8 string TB  (Read 3750 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
8 string TB
« on: June 19, 2010, 03:24:44 AM »
Hey guys, my buddy in TX (he sold me the White Falcon) is selling his 8 string TB.  He's a builder/player and it's beautiful!  End of shameless plug!

http://cgi.ebay.com/DC-Olson-DCBird-8-String-Bass-/130401819116?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item1e5c8dd9ec
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: 8 string TB
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 08:37:22 AM »
Nice... though I'd lose the amber controls for black...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 08:38:40 AM »
Yes, looks like beautiful work.

I wonder if Mark is ready for 8 strings?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 08:55:34 AM »
Yes, looks like beautiful work.

I wonder if Mark is ready for 8 strings?

I was born ready!    ;D

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

jazzbo58

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 10:07:05 AM »
Mark, that 8 string just kills me everytime I see it! That is one fantastic bass.

Cheers,
Jim

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 10:11:20 AM »
Even though I knew Mark already had the baddest ass 8 string T-bird I still thought he would be into this one too.

I recently fell in love with the 8 and now I need something cooler than my Dean ( a purchase to see if I liked it but a damn good instrument just the same).

Something about this one is calling me but I'm also infatuated with BC Rich Biches at the moment...
Bring on the Nubiles

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 10:38:58 AM »

I do like that bass and his price on it is good, however one 8 stringer is plenty for me. I can't even get all my basses in one room of the house anymore  :sad:
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 11:33:29 AM »

I do like that bass and his price on it is good, however one 8 stringer is plenty for me. I can't even get all my basses in one room of the house anymore  :sad:

I guess it's time for an addition. A bass wing even.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 12:10:33 PM »
You can't go wrong.  If DC built it, it's good quality.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 01:07:32 PM »
This is NOT a knock, only an observation. If you aren't 6' plus you need to be aware that the neck on that 8 is set further out than a Gibson neck is. Warmoth neck pockets are cut the same way. You'll probably need a couple inches more reach with the neck being out that far than you would on a stock bird. Again, just an observation from someone not burdened by excessive height (or simian arms). :)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 01:26:18 PM »
Ahem...You all know Mark got the Tahiti Coral NR IV 8 string from me, and my friend Jon Maye got the Korina NR T Bird II 8 string. Let me introduce to you my Reverse Hamer FB-12 Thunderbird 12 string bass in Inverness Green-I call him the monster or "Frankenstein"!!!

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 01:27:47 PM »
You thought the other basses were bad, wait til you get a load of this!!!!

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 02:00:13 PM »

Fabulous Joe!

Are you selling?

Kidding! Just kidding.......... ;)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 02:02:43 PM »
I give Joe about a month with that NR IV he just bought that needs rehab...................it'll never be "right" and that is just going to drive him nuts. Best he sells it to me at a loss right now. ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 04:17:37 PM »
Ha! Ha! Ha! Scott!!!!!! You may be right!!!!! May just sell the neck body and tuners.........'couse I did wind up buying a brass shield for it as well. I have been thinking of making a FUTURA 4 string bass.