Gear Discussion Forums > Rickenbacker Basses

Difference between bridge pickups

(1/2) > >>

Iome:
I've seen there's different kinds of original Rick bridge pickups, is there a great tonal difference between the "classic" 4003 (the one with the big cover), the toaster and the HB1?
Am i wrong supposing it's the neck pickup that gives that unique Rick "Klonking" sound?
Thanks

gearHed289:
The "classic" you're probably talking about is the "horseshoe" from the original 4001 basses. These come in basically 3 flavors - original with magnetized cover, re-issue used on 4001V63 and 4001CS which are super hot, and a slightly tamed re-issue used on the 4001C64 and C64S basses. Around '69 the magnetized cover was gone, replaced by a chrome plated piece of metal, and soon plastic. This is your standard "high gain". At some point, I believe in the late 80s/early 90s, they boosted the output of the high gains quite a bit, as well as getting rid of a bass cut capacitor that had been used on the bridge pickup. And in 2006 they started using adjustable height pole pieces.

The toaster is a neck pickup, which also comes in about 3 flavors.

HB1 is used on the 4004 series and is a humbucker. Great sounding and quiet, with high output. Totally different animal than the classic Ric pickup.

If you want the signature "clank", any stock 70s Ric should do the trick.   

Iome:
Thanks mate, are you saying that the newer horseshoe (the one you can buy here: http://www.the-music-connection.com/ricpart.htm )
doesn't give you "that" sound?

Dave W:
There's no horseshoe on that page, that's a modern hi-gain with cover. It will give you a Rick sound, but hotter than a 70s Rick sound.

The reissue horseshoe is not available separately, but it's not like the original anyway.

Iome:
So it's not even the stock one from the 4003? Must keep an eye on the bay for an old 4001 p.u.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version