Author Topic: My Jackson Thunderbird  (Read 1576 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
My Jackson Thunderbird
« on: June 19, 2010, 01:58:20 PM »

I've been pretty busy this Spring with some renovation work on my house and in general with my band (We're rehearsing with a new, much better drummer) and haven't had time to write much about this really cool, largely unknown bass. I picked it up from Bill (Saltymonkey) for a great price after he decided it wasn't quite right for him, since then I've had the oppourtunity to play it at a show and at several practices.
 It's a new experience for me in that it's an active bass, my only one, and in part a good reason to justify it's purchase. This bass and my GK rig are made for each other - it's voice is clear, loud and has a very pronounced growl, some basses sit well or ride nice in a band - this bass cuts thru with clarity on each note, no fartyness! and not for the shy player.
 Until buying this bass I was completely unfamiliar with Jackson as a bass manufacturer, this bass is from 1993 and the build quality is very good with a nice aged white binding and a spectacular green metalflake paint job that, depending on how you look at it goes from yellow / green to bluegreen. No sloppy joints or questionable paint defects, and an extremely solid feel to it - in fact it's the heaviest Thunderbird in my collection (except for the 8 string NR) The neck has a very shallow profile that is quite reminiscint of my long departed 4001 Rick ( the reverse shark teeth don't hurt that either!) and for me it plays nice and easy.
I think I love it!

Here's some pics. 

Pointy headstock fun!

Sexy Green body

With some sisters

I love a sleek backside

Girls just wanna have fun :)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: My Jackson Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 02:20:45 PM »
She sure is a beaut...

Hmm... but there's a lot of green there, Ma'am... you know, two's company, three's a party... I suspect a need for balance, and I'm not talkin' neck divin'... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 03:10:36 PM »
That's awesome Mark. Nice pic. You look so happy together. Glad you're loving it. I've wondered a few times if you liked it or not as we hadn't heard anything on it from you. The best thing about selling this bass to you though was that the day your payment arrived I sent it right back out for my Greco TB II which has become my favorite bass. A win win. Timing is everything.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 04:17:08 PM »
Daum  ! Just beautiful.................................oh yeah you to Mark.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Hornisse

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 07:48:02 PM »
Mark, too bad you aren't closer to Austin.  We are playing Cool River next Friday night and it is little black dress night!