Author Topic: Fiesta Red 1964 P-bass  (Read 7101 times)

bostonguitarrepair

• View Profile
    • My Blog, The Guitar Garage
Fiesta Red 1964 P-bass
« on: April 12, 2008, 11:30:44 AM »
Another project - nearing completion - is a 1964 Fender Precision refinished to Fiesta Red.  This isn't one of mine - doing it for a customer - a very nice bass that had been stripped and beaten-down over the years, but still played great.

What's different about this refin for me is that I decided that rather than deal with the kind of costly ReRanch cans of lacquer, i'd have a local company custom mix me a gallon of Fiesta Red nitro.

The paint came out perfectly - they matched a refinished 69 P-bass I have - and goes on SO easy.  So now I have enough Fiesta Red for about another dozen Fenders.

Based on how good the Fiesta Red was, I had the company (Eastern ChemLac of Malden, MA) mix me a gallon of Dpahne Blue as well - which I shot onto a 66 Mustang guitar yesterday - also excellent quality.

So don't be surprised if you see a profusion of Fiesta Red and Daphne Blue Fenders from me over the next year or two ...

Before ..

After ..

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Fiesta Red 1964 P-bass
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 04:03:08 PM »
Great!

I love the Pino Palladino bass: Fiesta, tort and rosewood.
I have the MIM 50s P: Fiesta, gold guard and maple. I'm always wondering how it'll look with a tortoise guard, but I have never seen the combi Fiesta, tort, maple. What kinda neck will this baby have?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 09:36:51 PM »
I've seen complaints elsewhere that the Reranch lacquer isn't very durable even for nitro. Hopefully this stuff will work out better and save you money. Rattle cans can't be very cost effective for a commercial shop anyway.

bostonguitarrepair

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 09:55:07 AM »
Chris - the bass is a complete 64 - so it will have a clay dot 1964 neck on it.  The only non-original parts on the bass are the pickups  and the knobs.  It played beautifully before I took it apart and I'm sure it will once I bolt it back together.

Dave - re ReRanch lacquer - I haven't had any durability problems with it, though it does need to be overcoated unless you're going to do a LOT of color coats.  I just have more control of how heavy the paint goes on and what kind of spray pattern I get with my two HVLP guns - so touching up an "oops" is easier, plus doing things like burst finishes is much easier and more reliable.  The other issue I had with one ReRanch refin I did was that when I switched cans to touch up a refin (this was for a Daphne Blue refin) the color changed slightly - meaning I had to recoat the whole guitar.  I think the reason had more to do with me not shaking up the can enough and making sure the pigments were fully blended - and this can happen with any tinted color, but seems easier to visually confirm that my paint is mixed when its in a mixing jar !

That being said - I'm just finishing a Dakota Red Musicmaster bass - with a ReRanch can - and it looks great !!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 11:36:06 PM »
Chris - the bass is a complete 64 - so it will have a clay dot 1964 neck on it. 

I'm not a big Fender expert. Does that mean a maple fretboard or rosewood?

Bart!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 04:40:50 AM »
It`s a rosewood neck Chris. I`ve seen it on the blog of bostonguitarrepair, (nice blog, bostonguitarrepair you should post a link (i didn`t know if it would be allright to do so)).
So now you still don`t know if a tort guard would fit your `50s Precision (did you ever try the mint guard with it?).

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 05:42:06 AM »
Bart!

I tried your white one. It looks good and very 'Entwistle'. It's a bit to 'normal' though. So I keep the gold one until I see one wit a tort plate:)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 09:00:18 AM »
http://www.guitargarage.blogspot.com/

No problem with linking to the blog, it's not his commercial website. It's mostly a documentation of his projects.

bostonguitarrepair

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 04:36:07 PM »
Thanks for posting the link Dave - feel better if someone else besides me does it since I want to focus on adding content to the discussions here rather than distracting people in away from the Bass Outpost in anyway.

Bart!

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 07:01:13 AM »
good and very 'Entwistle'. It's a bit to 'normal' though.

:o
The poor man will turn in his grave.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 07:57:04 AM »
Hey, he's my cat and he's on my avatar. He doesn't mind;)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 06:41:04 PM »
can you post a pic of that 'stang? i love daphne blue.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

bostonguitarrepair

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 05:59:38 PM »
can you post a pic of that 'stang? i love daphne blue.

The Mustang is still coming along - needs the final buffing out - but meanwhile, here's the 1971 MusicMaster I redid in Daphne Blue, but with no yellowed overcoat, since they didn't clearcoat the Musicmaster's in the 70s.

I LOVE this color !!

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 05:19:22 AM »
oooooh,that looks like a piece of candy! you just gave me an idea for my motorcycle....hhmmm
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

bostonguitarrepair

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 11:31:10 AM »
Finally finished it and handed it back to its owner - I'm happy with the results - and he was too !
<p>

<p>