Author Topic: The $30 Million Car  (Read 2513 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: The $30 Million Car
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 08:47:58 PM »
When I wrote that "beautiful" comment, I had in mind that:

a) Many Bugattis were pure racers, and those are not elegant, but functional in the way of their time, and;

b) Although the passenger cars are the lovely ones, at the time Bugatti built cars, many of the bodies were custom made by coach builders.

I don't know to what degree Bugatti made his own passenger car bodies, but I do know the ones still rolling are works of art.

Fair comment, at least it gave me the excuse to postthe picks above  ;)
Digresion our specialty!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 04:25:04 AM »
I'm not so sure about that Al.  We have/had a race here in the hills each year for vintage racing cars and there is usually no less than 5 Bugattis in it.

One thing worth remembering is that the existing Bugattis are scattered around the world and if say, 200 exist (and I'm making that number up because I don't know) and 15 show up to some event like a vintage race or show, it may seem like there is a lot of them. I have a 1941 Indian 841 of which only 1000 were made and I have numbers for 366 of them which still exist and are owned by people all over the world. At one meet I saw 6 of them. Relatively speaking, that's a large number but overall it's nothing. Imagine of the same percentage of '66 Mustangs showed up to an event. Christ, there would be a hundred thousand of them!

By the way, those cars in your photos are breathtaking! That Alfa is absolutely gorgeous!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 05:05:10 AM »
Oh come off it, why do you think the doors open from the front...? so you can slide the case in on the passenger side... it's obvious really...  ;)

You Brits stick everything in the passenger side. I got in in the passenger side of a Jag once and there was a steering wheel , all the guages and three pedals on the floor. Then, I look over at the drivers side and there's nothing. What's up with that? ;)
Rick

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 07:36:10 AM »
A perversion, nothing less. Left lane driving is a perversion. One of the first things we would have changed had the Seelöwe roared a bit more successfully.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 08:38:44 AM »
I have to accede the leftie/rightie issue to you righties... no matter what we Brit's, Japanese, Australasians say, you can allways say you are RIGHT...!  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 10:20:04 PM »
I have to accede the leftie/rightie issue to you righties... no matter what we Brit's, Japanese, Australasians say, you can allways say you are RIGHT...!  ;)

Romans drove on the left which is the main reason I believe we do the same. Just tradition. I think the reason the Romans drove on the left was because most ppl are right handed and it allowed for the ability of holding a weapon in the right hand.

Has logic to it but these days I just think that whatever system you grew up with seems the most natural and obvious.

In the UK it even extends to walking. It always made me laugh to see some poor continental tourist in the London underground being abused by very busy poms. "Aye mate, move to the left so I can get past"

Digresion our specialty!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 08:56:53 AM »
Romans drove on the left which is the main reason I believe we do the same. Just tradition. I think the reason the Romans drove on the left was because most ppl are right handed and it allowed for the ability of holding a weapon in the right hand.

-/quote]

In Detroit we either learn to use our weapons with both right and left hand, or get  one person as the wheel man and the other as the shooter. Sort of a buddy plan. I guess you could call this a tradition too :sad: ;).
Rick

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 11:13:36 AM »
(motorcitymadhousemotorcitymadhousemotorcitymadhouse... ;D)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 12:36:21 PM »
You got that wrong with the Romans, Ken. Yes, in ancient times you needed your right hand free to fight of attackers. But those wouldn't attack from the middle of the road (where you would immediately detect them and they couldn't ambush you), but from the side of the road where the trees and grass were. Hence the sensibility of moving forward on the right lane where your right hand would be to the forest/bushes side.

As usual, the limeys failed to comprehend a Continental tradition.

Uwe
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 03:07:05 AM by uwe »

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 02:22:37 PM »
(Glad he's not my lawyer... trying to fit-me-up when it was an Aussie that did the dirty deed, cheaply, mind you... If anyone knows a good lawyer, maybe I could go for defamation of character...? Litigation... now that's an American tradition... ;))

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 05:13:52 PM »
Ken, I am shattered!!! Accept my apologies, I am forever your subject.

The Aussie is forgiven, from where he lives left is right and right is left!

The Romans were never in Australia though?

Uwe

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 08:15:41 PM »
Ken, I am shattered!!! Accept my apologies, I am forever your subject.

The Aussie is forgiven, from where he lives left is right and right is left!

The Romans were never in Australia though?

Uwe

Effectively they were, just via British tradition.       I challenge you to a joust sir Uwe!  ;D
Digresion our specialty!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 06:01:35 AM »
Effectively they were, just via British tradition.       I challenge you to a joust sir Uwe!  ;D

A joust !  That sounds like a natural, you'll both be in the same lane going in the opposite direction direction already ;D.
Rick

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 06:58:07 AM »
I was suspecting some wicked trickery, he'd probably be holding the javelin at some side I wouldn't expect!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 07:17:04 AM »
Being ambidextrous I really dont mind which side of the road I drive  :P  ;)
Digresion our specialty!