Author Topic: Serial number question  (Read 1713 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Serial number question
« on: March 31, 2010, 10:15:01 AM »
Hi guys, I need a little help.

A good friend can buy a Fender Jazz. The guy who sells it bought it second hand like 15 years ago and nobody knows if it's Japanese or US.

The serial nummer is V007200 and it's a stacked control Jazz '61 or '62 reissue. I searched on some sites. In 1996 there were Japanese basses with a V and six digits and maybe the guy is a bit wrong with his 15 years. The same site states there are Vintage USA reissues with V +6, but from 2000 and up.

Anyone?

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: Serial number question
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:14:30 AM »
You probably already check this site: http://www.guitarnucleus.com/fenderserial.html
but I'd imagine if there's any question about that serial number a look at the pot numbers would probably help date it.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:33:22 PM »
There were V+6 digits in the American Vintage series from the very beginning (1982). Both late 80s Am Vintage Precisions I owned had V+6 digits.

I don't really know Fender Japan dating, but it's my understanding that the V+6 numbers from the mid 90s had nothing to do with a vintage series, they were just a continuation of a regular scheme (i.e. the year before was U+6). I could be wrong though.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:50:09 AM »
With the stack knobs and the V00, I would imagine it to be an 80s US reissue.  But I would not bet the farm without seeing it and probably taking a few things apart. 
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 11:29:13 PM »
Chris, I dont know much about the US Vintage reissue basses but Paul Rumble and Larry Cashdollar have a great site dedicated to Fender Japan basses and guitars. Very friendly and helpfull guys. I dont think that serial number belongs to a Japanese bass but you can at least check with them about the serial number so as to be able to rule out the possibility of it being Japanese.
http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/jv_quick_guide.htm

Good luck
Digresion our specialty!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 04:06:19 AM »
Thanks guys!