Author Topic: More toys, for more building.........  (Read 722 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
More toys, for more building.........
« on: April 02, 2010, 08:08:45 AM »
OK, I keep getting more serious about building and have found the old adage about having the right tools a curse and a blessing.  I do plan to make more than one or two basses a year as my full-time vocation winds down.  So, I've started stocking up.  I sold a guitar to fund some of these things and I know they'll get lots of use.

So, I made my own pearl cutting jig and cut my first thumbnail fretboard inlay with an SM inlay/jeweler's saw.  This is tedious work, but it's fun to see the finished inlay.

Next, I pretty much want binding on everything, so I finally caved and bought the SM binding machine.  It is the berries!   :P   I love using it and cutting the edges of tops and doing channels is a breeze.  I have two hand held units, that really only work well on flat tops and even then, you need a steady hand!!!

I've got a neck tenon/heel jig coming soon too.  If my engineering buddy ever finishes my duplicator router, I'll post some pictures!   :?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
Re: More toys, for more building.........
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 04:01:30 PM »
Sweet!

One of my favorite wood working tools, isn't a wood working tool at all but, the Bridgeport milling machine.

I am luck enough to have access to one but really, no garage should be with out one.
Bring on the Nubiles