Gear Discussion Forums > Rickenbacker Basses

4001 vs 4004cii

(1/3) > >>

copacetic:
Thinking about getting a 4004cii because of the lighter weight. However I am a lover of the toaster pickup and am thinking of placing one in the mid position just to get 'that sound'(with treble rolled off). I am wondering if any one has done this or have any thoughts on it. I realize there would be some rerouting perhaps but it would be done very professionally as the RIC finishes are so spectacular. I do like the 4001's but not a lover of the reverse headstocks they are turning out these days and they are 10 lbs.

ilan:
I also love toasters but I'm not sure that slapping one on a 4004 will instantly give you the "4001-with-a-toaster" sound.

Routing a 4004Cii for a third pickup will seriously hurt resale value.

--- Quote from: copacetic on March 21, 2010, 10:36:04 AM ---I do like the 4001's but not a lover of the reverse headstocks they are turning out these days

--- End quote ---

I don't like them either but RIC has discontinued the 4001C64 last year, so no more upside down headstocks.

--- Quote from: copacetic on March 21, 2010, 10:36:04 AM ---and they are 10 lbs.

--- End quote ---

Both my Rics ('73 and '86) are 9 lbs.

copacetic:
They have discontinued the 4001 C64's w/reverse headstocks? So now they are making them with the original (non Paul) 'design correct' headstock? I do like the 'shaved' non binding (Paul) touch however.
As you say the toaster might not automatically the 4001 sound but if I insert it right in the mid position on the 4004 where that mid-placed bridge pickup is it might get close. I am not thinking of having 3 pups.
If I were to do that mod I would be making it a keeper(! yeah right). I like the Cheyenne 05 brownish finish.

ilan:
That one is called Montezuma Brown.

RIC discontinued the C64 but did not revive the V63 with the righty headstock. At the moment there are no vintage style basses and only the 4004 series basses have contoured bodies and no binding.

Dave W:
Someone at the RRF (Jeff Scott?) put toasters in both positions of a 4004 a few years ago and he was satisfied with the tone. OTOH that won't make it sound like a 4001/4003, and neither would putting a toaster as a third pickup on a 4004.

I had a 4004 and 4003 at the same time, the weight difference sure didn't seem like much to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version