Author Topic: AVATAR shoulda WON!!! WTF??  (Read 7801 times)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Re: AVATAR shoulda WON!!! WTF??
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 02:05:46 PM »
Did anyone see the making of Avatar documentary?
I haven't, but I've heard it's been showing on cable.
I have seen some behind the scenes explanations of how Avatar was made in magazines tho.
The whole movie is filmed with real actors. The CGI work is useless without real characters to build on.
If you can't appreciate the performance of the super talented actress portraying the tigress shining thru all the CGI "makeup" then I feel sorry for ya.
There's no difference between regular costumes & makeup & CGI costumes & makeup except that the actors & actresses don't have to arrive on the set at 2am each day to get ready to shoot the film.

Planning to see Avatar for the 3rd time before it's taken out of theaters....

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 04:15:27 PM »
If you can't appreciate the performance of the super talented actress portraying the tigress

But tigress' have vaginas.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 05:23:17 PM »
I really did enjoy Avatar, and thought it well worth the money. It's beautiful visually, and I enjoyed that a lot.

I saw the 3-D version and didn't really know what to think about that aspect of it.  Among my thoughts:

- They used a light touch on the 3-D, rather than having things fly out into the audience
- Because they used a light touch, I didn't really perceive a lot of 3-D effect in much of the film
- I HATE wearing 3-D glasses, and I always get a headache...but at least it was a small one this time

So if I see it again, it will be the 2-D version.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 04:00:40 PM »
If Avatar was best picture of the year last year, then each one of the Lord of the Rings movies should have been best picture when it came out.

The problem the Academy had with LOTR was that of "timing", which is why the third film got a bucket-full... as Al infers, if they had given the first film a MAJOR Oscar, then it would be reasonable to presume that all three would have to get them... QED

The problem Cameron has is his genius... Manna for the masses...

Mr Cameron... all you need to do is make a true-to-life movie in black-and-white about someone who rescues loads of prisoners in imminent peril of death and lead them to freedom, then you're bound to get the Best Film Oscar... otherwise, you'll have to try and console yourself with yet another box-office winner... Oh yeah, well done for congratulating your ex so exhuberantly, after all, you knew it would not be yours...  ;D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 05:11:36 PM by Kenny Five-O »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 03:09:17 PM »
But tigress' have vaginas.

This movie may not be R rated but it's such a skin-fest it is real close to being X! You just have to use your imagination a little.
They obviously cut the love scene short to keep it under 3 hours!!!
As discussed in a previous thread, we'll be seeing more of that mating ritual on the forthcoming DVD!!! Can't wait!
Saw it again last night in 3D & was noticing some probly intentional nipple slips!!  ;)
Zoe Saldana is SO gooood. I wanna see more of her....  :o
I love the tigress & this film more & more with each viewing...Amazing!!!
Again~ It's a fokken TRAVESTY that this didn't get the award for Best Picture!
It's LIGHTYEARS beyond anything else. (pun intended) lol

It's mind-boggling how much work went into it.
Had to see it again on the Big Screen!!! Probly gonna be gone from theaters today.
It's been 3 months so I reckon that's about it.

Chaser001

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 03:50:02 PM »
They're thinking about a summer re-release. 

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 04:08:09 PM »
Zoe Saldana's in the new Star Trek... Uhura...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 04:27:49 PM »
Yeah! Gotta see that. ...& a movie comin' called The Losers

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 05:02:05 PM »
I suspect the Losers is based on a DC comic.  Not the 70s The Losers with Captain Storm, but some new ting.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2010, 09:03:39 AM »
The Hurt Locker winning has torqued off a lot of vets.  Some inaccuracies can be forgiven (you'll always have them, real military life, even in a war zone, isn't entertaining), but others are harder to swallow.

The most accurate part of that movie was the locals selling pirate DVDs on camp.

Edit:  I don't want to sound like I hated the movie.  It was a decent action movie.  The parts that I'm not so okay with were mostly the behavior of the movie's makers.  Their claims that it is an accurate portrayal of life in Iraq in 2004.

All that being said, I agree with Uwe.  Inglorious Basterds was awesome.  Not since Hogan's Heroes has anyone had any real fun with Nazis, and I was glad to see someone irreverent enough to do so again.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 09:18:25 AM by angrymatt »
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2010, 10:45:09 AM »
I watched Inglorious Basterds last night.  You could sure it was a Tarantino movie....some of the music was spaghetti-western inspired, there was excess gore, and the plots in his movies never seem quite as tight as they should be.

That said, I would rate it as a good "B" movie.  It's the kind that deserves to be on DVD within 30 days after theatrical release. 

What's an "A" WWII movie?

Guns of Navarone...The Great Escape...The Longest Day.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2010, 11:13:31 AM »

"A" WWII movies for me = Patton, Tora,tora,tora and Battle of Britain 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2010, 02:42:15 PM »
Saving Private Ryan has got to be up there...

Chaser001

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2010, 02:49:43 PM »
I really did enjoy Avatar, and thought it well worth the money. It's beautiful visually, and I enjoyed that a lot.

I saw the 3-D version and didn't really know what to think about that aspect of it.  Among my thoughts:

- They used a light touch on the 3-D, rather than having things fly out into the audience
- Because they used a light touch, I didn't really perceive a lot of 3-D effect in much of the film
- I HATE wearing 3-D glasses, and I always get a headache...but at least it was a small one this time

So if I see it again, it will be the 2-D version.

The only reason I didn't see it is because it's in 3D.  That hurts my eyes so much it's unbearable; it has always been that way for me.  Here it has only been available in 3D.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2010, 03:22:51 PM »

"A" WWII movies for me = Patton, Tora,tora,tora and Battle of Britain 

Yes!

Patton would be another absolutely TOP A movie...without question.

I remember back when there were three networks and Patton aired on broadcast TV for the first time.  it was an OCCASION.  We invited another family over because we had a color TV and they didn't - we had pizza and popcorn and made it a party evening.