Author Topic: Anyone seen this LP bass yet?  (Read 1800 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: Anyone seen this LP bass yet?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 07:30:34 PM »
That's exactly what I've been looking for, and I found that auction a few days ago, but two things give me bad vibes:

1. there are no strings on the bass- if you're selling a bass for over $1200, spend the $20 to put a damn set of strings on it, especially if you're a dealer, as this guy appears to be. The bass missing strings makes me wonder what's wrong with the neck and action.

2. the language later in the auction description is nonsensical cut'n'paste- so the guy has a lot of guitars that he doesn't like selling and he doesn't like low-ballers; so what? He could have taken the time he wasted on the large font rant and posted better pics and a more detailed description.

It's worth less than what he's asking, but that's forgivable with the "offer" option. I'll see how much I like my Epi, if South Chicago GC ever ships it. I bought it and a new case for it last Tuesday and it still hasn't shipped.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 06:25:21 AM by Psycho Bass Guy »

Deathshead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 07:35:49 PM »
PBG, if you played the gibson version you will really like the epi. just had to crank up the truss rod, get rid of the sticky neck finish and swap the pickups.

nofi

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 08:20:10 PM »
 "you owned one of these you will be known". finally, my big chance. :rolleyes: i am also skeptical of 'stringless' basses for sale. makes no business sense and makes one suspicious as well.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 08:26:02 PM »
That's exactly what I've been looking for, and I found that auction a few days ago, but two things give me bad vibes:

1. there are no strings on the bass- if you're selling a bass for over $1200, spend the $20 to put a damn set of strings on it, especially if you're a dealer, as this guy appears to be. The bass missing strings makes me wonder what's wrong with the neck and action.

2. the language later in the auction description is nonsensical cut'n'paste- so the guy has a lot of guitars that he doesn't like selling and he doesn't like low-ballers; so what? He could have taken the time he wasted on the large font rant and posted better pics and a more detailed description.

It's worth less than what he's asking, but that's forgivable with the "offer" option. I'll see how much I like my Epi, if South Chicago GC ever ships it. I bought it and new case for it last Tuesday and it still hasn't shipped.

Yep. You can bet there's a neck issue with this bass. Otherwise it would be strung up.

Even if it had strings and had great pictures showing a straight neck and good action, I will not deal with anyone who fills his auction text with complaints and threats. IMO that almost guarantees it will be a bad deal.

Don't want lowball offers? Then make your list price realistic and don't include a "make offer" option. And STFU.

Deathshead

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 08:37:43 PM »
Dave, Right on. 

these sellers sometime just think they have gold on there hands and think they have some sort of upper hand power just becuase of what it says on the headstock.
I just wish they continued making the big flowerpot headstock 3 point basses.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 11:44:24 PM »
I love short scales. That Greco is extremely nice.

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 11:56:13 PM »
Please let's keep the non-Gibson-related basses (ESP, Edwards, Grassroots) in the Other Bass Brands forum. Thanks.

We've allowed Gibson-type Grecos because of the relationship with Orville and Epi. The BaCHbird was a special exception.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 06:48:08 AM »
BTW, back to the original auction, did I misread the price as $1249 last night?

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 07:10:16 AM »
For that money you would think he would clean the bass & take better pictures. Maybe a front body shot & clear ear headstock shot.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 07:58:19 AM »
I just sent an eBay question about the lack of strings. We'll see what he has to say.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 08:38:07 AM »
Over $1400 now.  The seller comes across as an extreme asshole from what he's written.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 09:02:25 AM »
My ebay question was, "Why is the bass not strung? Are there any issues with its action?"

The reply was, "no issues!!!!!!"

...don't kill yourself trying to inform me, dude. :rolleyes:

You have to wonder how he got such a high feedback rating if all of his auctions are similar. The music biz is no stranger to 'characters,' but this one just has "stay away" written all over it. 

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile