Author Topic: Boutique basses and guitars  (Read 5451 times)

Chaser001

Re: Boutique basses and guitars
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 01:08:29 PM »
I remember reading a post on a bass forum somewhere, the guy said he went to an audition with a big Ampeg rig and a Wal. The guitarist looks at the Ampeg and the Wal, then says: "I suppose you spent so much money on the rig, you couldn't afford a Fender."

I find it almost inconceivable that anyone could be so clueless. 

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 01:09:21 PM »
Some guys either don't know or forget that Leo Fender wasn't intrested in making musical instruments he was intrested in making tools for musicians, he wasn't a musician himself his intrest was function and form. While I wouldn't buy a boutique myself a least there are some builders who try not to rip off a Fender design.
Tony

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 04:19:27 PM »
A strange thing is that people buy a Sadowsky or Lakland cos they want a Fender, but 'better'. And they still use all the materials Fender uses... Why not a neck-through P or something. Or other tonewoods for bodies. Tha can be interesting.

I played a fretless US made Schecter fretless Precision copy with a solid rosewood neck and a walnut body. It was amazing!

...but on Lakland and Sadowsky versus Fender. I have only played one Fender that even comes close to the build and play quality of the aforementioned boutiques, my Fender 60th Diamond Anniversary Jazz (not the current red thing). That doesn't mean I'll pay their prices, though.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 05:55:27 PM »
nofi's original question was about "not very original" basses generally based on Fenders. Talking about Alembics, Wals, or other boutique basses is fine but it has nothing to do with what he's asking.

The way I see it, Roger Sadowsky and others looked at the original Fender designs said "I can do better than that." And they've found buyers who agree. Nothing more to it than that. Most of these builders are not hand cutting bodies, they're putting together carefully selected components, some of them their own designs, and making products for people who want something that even a CS Fender can't offer them. Maybe it's the pickups, neck radius, preamp or any number of factors. May not appeal to you but it does appeal to some.

Nobody's "ripping off" Leo. These designs are not protectable, any patents on them expired decades ago and fortunately the USPTO rejected Fender's attempt to trademark the shapes.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 06:07:50 PM »
I've always held the opinion that getting a Lull or Sadowsky was like getting vintage quality, vintage sound, and a guaranteed original instrument for the money.  The craftsmanship in the newer guitars is what you pay for, and you don't have to guess if you're paying for some cleverly disguised parts bass that isn't all vintage or legit.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 11:37:58 PM »
nofi's original question was about "not very original" basses generally based on Fenders. Talking about Alembics, Wals, or other boutique basses is fine but it has nothing to do with what he's asking.

Darn! I was going to talk about my Alembic but I'll wait for another time...

Sadowskys and the like never bothered me. There's something about the timeless designs that Leo Fender came up with, so why not tweak it?

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 12:07:21 AM »
I have to say a lot of people think very conservative. I know lots of stories of pro-musicians who gig with hored guns. They only want bass players with a Fender. Why? Bacause it's recognizable I guess.. Recognizable, safe, always good. Same with studios. They can always dial in a good sound with a Fender, but what happens if you bring an EB3? I guess a lot of people just aren't open to new sounds.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 12:48:13 AM »
For us leftys it makes sense to get a bass custom made, especially if it's inspired by Gibson, since lefty Gibsons are so very rare.
I've been thinking about gettin' a lefty Thunderbird from Mike Lull but now ain't the time.
Love that checkerboard paint job he did for Jeff Ament!
I've also thot about makin' a Fenderbird by combining a Gibson T-bird body with a lefty Fender neck!!
Sure would be nice to have all the basses you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ain't that right, Uwe?  8)

The exotic woods are gorgeous. LOVE that purpleheart wood & what some luthiers have done with it.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 05:42:59 AM »
I think part of it to is everyone has a Fender so some people want something different yet similar to whjat they know & like.

No bass is better than another.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 05:06:48 PM »
From some points of view, what I'm doing to my T'bird is "boutiquing..."

Gold hardware, "alien" (to type) pups, fancy veneer top, oddball wiring...

Works for me...

I plan to buy a bunch of bits to make a Jazz this year, and do a gold-sparkle fin - 50 years... I'll do it in my spare time...  :P
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2010, 12:23:34 AM »
Fender-worship is drilled into people's heads when they pick up bass. I heard it one million times (and still do): "when people say "bass" they mean Fender bass!" On two occasions my Thunderbird purchase was met with a "why don't you trade it in and get a P-bass?", despite the T-bird body shape being a relic of the past in many ways as well. Part of it is ancestor worship (the cyclical process of heroes being told the same line, buying a P-bass, and then cutting a record with it) and part of it is the fear of being different that everyone here has mentioned. Personally, I'm just tired of seeing Fender and Fender-esque basses everywhere. Same for Strats and Teles. They're not bad instruments by any stretch and they've earned their place in the pantheon of instruments, but it's like chinese water torture. over and over again. twang from the left, thud from the right. When I play a show I'm tickled pink just to see someone play a non-Fender bass of any kind.

Part of this is just because we, as musicians, actually care about someone's guitar, or amp, or effect pedal, when no one in the general populace does in the least (as long as it looks "cool" and not "too weird").

I find it almost inconceivable that anyone could be so clueless. 

Well now, it was a guitarist. They only know other people are in the band when someone is out of key, out of time, or their beer disappears.
Half-speed Hawkwind

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2010, 01:52:12 PM »
I have owned several US Laklands. The one I still own is a mahogany short scale Decade (the bass in my avatar). It's totally unique in feel and tonal range and a monster in every way. I've never had more fun playing bass. It's a lifer for sure. The other two were both passive Joe Osborn jazzes which of course are Fender clones. For me it was all about the neck feel and playability of these basses. No Fender i have ever played has come remotely close to feel and quality of these necks. I'd still own one of them, it had something extra, but I have an almost 15 yr old dog who needed some high dollar vet care this winter so I had to sell it. I'm sure there are magic Fenders out there too. But every US Lakland I have played had an incredible neck. And that makes the cost worth it for me. But the ss Decade is the only one I ordered and paid full price for. The two JOs were both used so somewhat more affordable.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2010, 05:05:26 PM »
Fender-worship is drilled into people's heads when they pick up bass. I heard it one million times (and still do): "when people say "bass" they mean Fender bass!" On two occasions my Thunderbird purchase was met with a "why don't you trade it in and get a P-bass?", despite the T-bird body shape being a relic of the past in many ways as well. Part of it is ancestor worship (the cyclical process of heroes being told the same line, buying a P-bass, and then cutting a record with it) and part of it is the fear of being different that everyone here has mentioned. Personally, I'm just tired of seeing Fender and Fender-esque basses everywhere. Same for Strats and Teles. They're not bad instruments by any stretch and they've earned their place in the pantheon of instruments, but it's like chinese water torture. over and over again. twang from the left, thud from the right. When I play a show I'm tickled pink just to see someone play a non-Fender bass of any kind.

I can't agree. I've never had Fender worship directed at me. Yes, there are incompetent engineers and sound guys who aren't capable of dealing with anything different, but I've found that most musicians and production & sound people will listen to what you play and not demand a certain instrument.

On the flip side, I'm never critical of anyone for playing something common.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2010, 07:21:11 AM »
To have something that looks wacky and melted, that looks like a fancy table?

Seems to me many R&B players have no issues spending like $5k+ on a wacky 5-6 string made out of 50 different exotic woods and
with tons of knobs and preamps etc,

Just to achieve a extremely muddy generic tone...

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Chaser001

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2010, 07:43:12 AM »
I have to say a lot of people think very conservative. I know lots of stories of pro-musicians who gig with hored guns. They only want bass players with a Fender. Why? Bacause it's recognizable I guess.. Recognizable, safe, always good. Same with studios. They can always dial in a good sound with a Fender, but what happens if you bring an EB3? I guess a lot of people just aren't open to new sounds.

That exact thing happened to me a year and a half ago.  The engineer asked if I would play a Fender he had there instead.  In fact, he just assumed I would do it when he asked.  I told him I didn't want to and stuck with the Gibson throughout the entire recording session.