Author Topic: Anyone use Ampeg SVX software?  (Read 2755 times)

Deathshead

• View Profile
Anyone use Ampeg SVX software?
« on: February 17, 2010, 09:09:29 PM »
Anyone using the ampeg svx software to practice and mess around with?

If you havent tried it, it will really blow you away.

I run my basses thru a line 6 toneport ux,
pick the SVT-8x10 combo,
all knobs turned to 2 o'clock, freq on 1=awsome tone.

Its really cool how you can get a huge deep sound thru a set of in ears that you can feel.

The new version of amplitube 3 has an acoustic 360 and cab model, cant wait for that.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone use Ampeg SVX software?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 11:06:42 PM »
i use it when we make our demos,very usefull.
Louder bass!.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 11:10:24 PM »
I have been very tempted and will probably buy this in the near future. I've been impressed with what I've heard from other players using it. Never had the opportunity myself.
Digresion our specialty!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 11:34:55 PM »
Anyone using the ampeg svx software to practice and mess around with?

If you havent tried it, it will really blow you away.

...being the proud owner of several real Ampegs, among a host of amps, (though none modelled by SVX) and having used Amplitube (their first amp modelling product) extensively, I highly doubt it.

I run my basses thru a line 6 toneport ux,
pick the SVT-8x10 combo,
all knobs turned to 2 o'clock, freq on 1=awsome tone.

You, my friend, need to try the real thing.  Most of the little whiz-bang modellers, pedals, and emulators sound great... until you find an accurate point of comparison. I'm not saying they're not useful tools, but as far as the SVT, there is NO substitute.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 01:45:58 AM »
I'm using a similar software, guitar rig, and I find it very nice, it has alot of things to play around. Ok, its mainly for geetards, but it has also some nice bass stuff. And ofcourse you can use geetard amps and stompboxes too!  ;D

I agree with PBG, the real thing is the real thing, but since I ain't got a shitload of time, space and mics to capture the sound of a roaring SVT, and some deaf neighbours too, well, I think I'll keep on using computer stuff.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 06:24:23 AM »
FWIW, a really good way to tame the volume of an SVT without losing its tone or using a dangerous "soak" device is to use a very ineffcient cab.  I have an Acme series 1 4x10 that fulfills this purpose quite well. With a little tweaking of the crossover attenuators on the cab, it does a very good impression of the 8x10.

Deathshead

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 07:43:20 AM »
...being the proud owner of several real Ampegs, among a host of amps, (though none modelled by SVX) and having used Amplitube (their first amp modelling product) extensively, I highly doubt it.

You, my friend, need to try the real thing.  Most of the little whiz-bang modellers, pedals, and emulators sound great... until you find an accurate point of comparison. I'm not saying they're not useful tools, but as far as the SVT, there is NO substitute.

Oh I know, but its hard to crank up the v4 or acoustic 450 when you just come home from work, and want to get 30-45 minutes of time in when the 18mo old is running around, the wife running around etc.. Idk, the original amplitube really didnt do much for me when i tried it out..

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 11:51:10 PM »
There are two seperate aspects to this topic as I understand it.
1. Those that use emulation software to get a live sound and
2. those that use emulation software to record.

Anyone who has spent hundreds of hours playing around with mic placement and the capturing to tape/disc of a real (for eg SVT) sound will tell you that its not just a simple case of running a line out of an SVP-PRO preamp and/or throwing an sm58 in front of an 8 x 10 cab.
Just because you have the real amp doesnt mean that it will sound good on a recording. There is a lot of skill IMHO involved in getting it to translate accurately.

The benefit of Emulation software in my experience is firstly its quicker but secondly its simpler to translate an accurate version of a given amp / cab combination to record. Recently I watched a very experienced guitarist record 5 tracks using a very nice sounding Mesa Boogie Dual rectifier amp (his standard live rig). Spending a lot of time with mic placement etc. I then watched him record the same tracks using Amplitube 2.

After much debate and deliberation the choice was made to use the Amplitube tracks. They really did sound that good. Its not to say that the Mesa sounded bad, it certainly did not. In fact my ears thought it sounded quite amazing. But I had to concede just how good the canned amps sounded.

Digresion our specialty!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 01:08:37 AM »
To be a completely cocky ass, I know way more about mic technique than most of these software emulations do about tone.  :mrgreen: :o ...but I digress.  ;)  In all seriousness, I truly have never encountered an emulation that could equal the tones I have recorded using minimal equipment.

Like I said before, I do not dispute that they are valuable tools, but getting a good tone with a real amp is nowhere near as hard as some would make it out to be, and as far as afternoon playing, my SVT sits on the Acme and an Auralex Gramma in my den next to the B-15. None of my neighbors have ever complained, and I play at all hours of the night.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 02:40:32 AM »
No argument, experience counts for a lot. I guess what I'm trying to say is that most weekend bass players (from the ones that I've seen at least) dont have much experience in mic-ing bass rigs and the most common  thing I've seen is  amateur bass players simply going straight in. Its much quicker and easier to get a decent sound on a recording for a limited experience player if they are doing it themselves with the software.

Yes it is obviously possible to get (much) better sounds than the emulation software with the real thing. But for most Bass players that I know (who are not engineers at all) they seem to get better sounds with the software.

Dont get me wrong I much prefer the real thing but I've heard, and unfortunately been given some diabolical bass sounds. Amplitube is a quick easy solution for the less experienced and the sounds are well within the realms of respectable bass sounds IMHO.

I'm defending it because I feel it has its place as a tool even if I prefer a real rig. People seem to knock it as if its crap and its certainly not.

Digresion our specialty!

Deathshead

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 07:19:21 AM »
To be a completely cocky ass, I know way more about mic technique than most of these software emulations do about tone.  :mrgreen: :o ...but I digress.  ;)  In all seriousness, I truly have never encountered an emulation that could equal the tones I have recorded using minimal equipment.

Like I said before, I do not dispute that they are valuable tools, but getting a good tone with a real amp is nowhere near as hard as some would make it out to be, and as far as afternoon playing, my SVT sits on the Acme and an Auralex Gramma in my den next to the B-15. None of my neighbors have ever complained, and I play at all hours of the night.

But have you tried it?.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 02:12:27 PM »
..not the latest version. I did try an early "freebie" download a few years ago that inserts random noise in your tracks unless you actually buy the program, but it was a pre-release beta. If you know of a new demo version, post the link, and I'll give it an honest assessment.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 03:57:52 PM »
An odd thing about the emulators that I've used is that the emulations of my least favorite amps usually turn out to be my favorite sound.
Roland offers a bunch of emulations on their amps and they've got most of my favorites, B-15, SVT and Acoustic 360. So what is the setting I use on my Roland? The Fender Bassman.........I never liked the real Bassmans that much ??? They were OK but nothing to jump up and down about .
I dunno
Rick

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 06:19:40 AM »
Found this: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/ampegsvx/download/

I'll let you guys know.