Author Topic: Cort Action Bass?  (Read 1010 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Cort Action Bass?
« on: February 17, 2010, 03:50:08 PM »
Saw a 4-string Cort Action bass at a local Pawn shop missing two strings, but not beat up.  Dark walnut satin finish, P and J pickups, priced at $159.  Probably can be had at $125 or less...but the body is very clean.

Worth a look?  Not?  I have plenty of basses...not sure this one is special in any way.

Looks kinda like this:

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: Cort Action Bass?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 04:04:41 PM »
If you want something to dink around on or a platform for weird mods, it is a solid instrument, but it is otherwise unremarkable.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 05:13:50 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 04:51:22 PM »
General blurb and a review of a couple of similars, with 5 strings...

http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/mar09/articles/corta5andc5h.htm
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 11:18:38 PM »
I bought a Korean built Dean Edge bass 2nd hand for $200 that looks almost identical to that bass. As suggested I have been using it as a low cost instrument of reasonable quality to learn a bit about modding/working more directly on my basses. They are a very comfortable body shape and the neck on the Dean is very nice indeed.
Digresion our specialty!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 11:21:15 PM »
Having played both, the Dean is a superior instrument.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 08:52:52 AM »
I appreciate the comments.  At this point I'm not motivated to pursue it - but I enjoy learning about instruments I haven't become familiar with.

About Deans - I haven't messed with any of them, but from what I've heard it sounds like they make a decent instrument for the money.  They do seem to emphasize cosmetic ideas in a lot of their instruments.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 10:39:13 PM »
The original pups in my Dean were very microphonic and honky sounding. It has a Basswood body. I've got some EMG HZ pups that I've just finished putting in it. I need to finish rewiring it before I get so hear how it sounds.

Been pretty busy on other project recently so its been put on the back burner.
Digresion our specialty!