Author Topic: oh.oh the Ohms  (Read 1340 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
oh.oh the Ohms
« on: January 28, 2010, 07:01:43 AM »
i just got an old Peavey 4X12 cab that runs at 4 Ohms. can i rewire it to run at 8 Ohms? that way i can run 2 8 Ohm cabs? or can i run a 4 and an 8 together?
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: oh.oh the Ohms
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 01:25:17 PM »
A friend sent me this link. It's pretty cool and might help you out.

http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 07:44:24 PM »
ok,i got it. thanks for the link.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 08:11:29 AM »
or can i run a 4 and an 8 together?

That's 2.66 ohms and is usually OK for most tube amps that can handle 4 ohms. The fact that the speakers are hooked up in series/parallel internally in the cabinets means that the actual voltage drop will occur at differing frequencies. Going lower than rated for a tube amp is usually fine. In fact most of them short their output to ground when no speaker is connected as a safety measure because... if you present too high an output impedance to a tube amp (or output transformer coupled s/s amp) the transformer turns into a large feedback voltage generator and you get to kiss your output tubes, their sockets, and everything else in the immediate proximity goodbye.

An easy way to tell if your load is too low for a tube amp is if the amp starts distorting when you connect the lower than rated load, but sounds fine at a rated cabinet or the metal gray parts inside tubes start to change color and turn a shade of red or yellow. Going lower than rated does age the tubes much faster, but they live a hell of lot longer than most people give them credit for anyway. Usually if you're giving a tube amp too low a load and it's hurting it, the main fuse will pop before any major damage occurs.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 11:57:10 AM »
That's 2.66 ohms and is usually OK for most tube amps that can handle 4 ohms.

But not solid state amps, right?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 03:17:58 PM »
But not solid state amps, right?

Correct.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 04:53:15 PM »
It's not that they are solid state; it's that most solid state amplifiers don't have an output transformer to feed back. There ARE solid state amps with OT's, but they are mostly very old and not common, however, there are current examples, the Warwick Jonas Hellborg being one.