Author Topic: Today's sheep and oatmeal news  (Read 3705 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Today's sheep and oatmeal news
« on: January 25, 2010, 09:37:41 AM »
US to lift 21-year ban on haggis

Still sounds revolting to me.

OTOH, this survey claims that 26% of kids in the UK think bacon comes from sheep, and 29% think oats grow on trees.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Today's sheep and oatmeal news
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 09:45:13 AM »
"For the past two decades, Americans of Scottish descent, of whom there are at least 6 million, have been forced to celebrate Burns' night without a true haggis, much to their distress."

Perhaps they'd have had MORE distress if they'd actually eaten the stuff.  :P
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 12:58:21 PM »
HOOTS MON...!

(hasn't been a genuine haggis in our house for that long too... :puke:)

Raising a dram to the haggis (veggie style) tonight...  :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 01:19:11 PM »

OTOH, this survey claims that 26% of kids in the UK think bacon comes from sheep, and 29% think oats grow on trees.

Sheep bacon? That's an odd thought. A poll I read recently indicated that 10% of those polled didn't believe Hawaii was a state. It's not uncommon to hear someone say the capitol of New York is, uh, New York City.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 01:25:40 PM »
Britain's in a terrible "State..."  :P
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 06:14:50 AM »

You mean it's not true?  I suppose you're going to tell me that pasta doesn't grow on trees, either...
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 09:26:10 AM »
Eating innards and liking it is something you either learn as a child or not at all a friend of mine once said. And he's right: I tried Haggis in an Edinburgh restaurant (actually a fancy place) for the first time about a year ago and it tasted great. Recommended. Like all folksy recipes it is probably very much down with how much love it has been prepared. 

But if you are from a well-to-do family like Dave is where eating innards was frowned upon ...

Next week, class, we'll learn about the enjoyment of eating humble pie, another innards dish, this time prepared from game.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 10:01:57 AM »
In the US we are often known to eat crow, especially after football games.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 10:05:40 AM »
The bird? That must taste kind of lean.

I once had a giant bat sloppy joe in the Seychelles. They're supposed to be solely fruiteaters (and get a constant high from mangos that are overripe) but to me they tasted distinctly carnivore. Definitely not like chicken, wings or no wings.  :mrgreen:

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 10:07:53 AM »
"Eating Crow" is an expression. no one actually eats a crow.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 10:32:31 AM »
And what does it mean? It must come from somewhere?

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 10:34:55 AM »
Eating crow means, you having to take back your words in a unpleasant or forceful way.
Its original form, to eat boiled crow, first appeared in the 1850s in America.[1] Its exact origin is unknown but there are a number of explanations.
It may be related to the English idiom to eat humble pie.[1] The English phrase is something of a pun—"umbles" were the intestines, offal and other less valued meats of a deer. Pies made of this were known to be served to those of lesser class who did not eat at the king’s/lord’s/governor’s table. Another dish likely to be served with humble pie is rook pie (rooks being closely related to crows).
It may also be the American version of "umble," since the Oxford English Dictionary defines crow (sb3) as meaning "intestine or mesentery of an animal" and cites usages from the 1600s into the 1800s (e.g., Farley, Lond Art of Cookery: "the harslet, which consists of the liver, crow, kidneys, and skirts." [2]

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 10:37:27 AM »
Speaking of crows......

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18429-if-you-think-a-crow-is-giving-you-the-evil-eye.html

Wild crows can recognise individual human faces and hold a grudge for years against people who have treated them badly. This ability – which may also exist in other wild animals – highlights how carefully some animals monitor the humans with whom they share living space.

"We may think they are just bystanders minding their own business – but we are their business," he notes. "It's likely that they're incredibly perceptive of the dog and cat components of their environment, as well."

Crows, jays and many other birds have been wiped out near us from West Nile desease. Birds would just "drop dead".

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 11:26:19 AM »
Another idiom learned!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 11:37:35 AM »
Eating innards and liking it is something you either learn as a child or not at all a friend of mine once said. And he's right: I tried Haggis in an Edinburgh restaurant (actually a fancy place) for the first time about a year ago and it tasted great. Recommended. Like all folksy recipes it is probably very much down with how much love it has been prepared. 

But if you are from a well-to-do family like Dave is where eating innards was frowned upon ...

Next week, class, we'll learn about the enjoyment of eating humble pie, another innards dish, this time prepared from game.

Uwe

Well-to-do? Tell me more. Is there a family fortune somewhere I missed hearing about?

Best description of oatmeal I heard was that it tastes like something someone ate and regurgitated. Who knows, maybe the innards would make the taste palatable.