Author Topic: Surf gig next Saturday  (Read 1990 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Surf gig next Saturday
« on: January 10, 2010, 06:58:20 PM »
We're playing at a local music store with a stage next week - here's our set list for your review....

1st Set:

Walk,Don’t Run
Pipeline - Baja
Ft. Swing  (modified version of theme from 3rd Rock from the Sun)
Apache
Jack the Ripper
Runaway
Malibu Blue  (Original)
Green Onions
Sleepwalk
Wipe Out

2nd Set:

James Bond theme ~ Secret Agent Man  
Penetration
For Jessica (Original)
Time is Tight
Fat Dog Walking
Telstar
Wild Weekend               )
Stray Cat Strut
Encore….Peter Gunn Theme (or whatever request we get from the sets)

See anything in there that brings back memories?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:02:41 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: Surf gig next Saturday
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 07:03:27 PM »
great set. but where's Miserlou?
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 10:40:27 PM »
I never understood how Misirlou got to be regarded as surf music. Sure, Dick Dale did it, but it's an old Mediterranean folk song that has little similarity to anything else that was called surf music back in the day. And it was never a hit song.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 12:48:24 AM »
I never understood how Misirlou got to be regarded as surf music. Sure, Dick Dale did it, but it's an old Mediterranean folk song that has little similarity to anything else that was called surf music back in the day. And it was never a hit song.

Yup, Misirlou is a very old (20s) greek song. I have the same question about its connections with surf music.
Don’t be stupid, be a smartie - come and join die schwarze Hardware party!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 04:54:08 AM »
don't know that one... research...

EDIT - ok, yes I do know it, just not the name; definite "eastern" influence...

Nice set list, btw
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 11:00:54 AM »
great set. but where's Miserlou?

Despite Dave's (highly accurate) assertion, Miserlou is one of the top half-dozen surf category songs ever recorded.  Since Dick Dale made it famous, it IS surf as far as most people are concerned.  Ranks up there with Pipeline and Walk, Don't Run.

We recently changed guitarists and the new guy is still learning Miserlou -  we know it MUST go into the set ASAP.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 03:46:54 PM »
There are some old guys who do a similar setlist in a parking lot off Main St. here in Surf City once in a while.
I'll see what they call themselves next time they do it.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 06:14:23 PM »
Despite Dave's (highly accurate) assertion, Miserlou is one of the top half-dozen surf category songs ever recorded.  Since Dick Dale made it famous, it IS surf as far as most people are concerned.  Ranks up there with Pipeline and Walk, Don't Run.

Agreed. And yet it never charted. Nothing Dick Dale did ever charted back in the day, except maybe in his fertile imagination. It became famous via revisionist history after Pulp Fiction.

But I could hate on Dick Dale all night.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 07:00:45 PM »
Agreed. And yet it never charted. Nothing Dick Dale did ever charted back in the day, except maybe in his fertile imagination. It became famous via revisionist history after Pulp Fiction.

But I could hate on Dick Dale all night.

All true, and we know and respect the fact that you're not a Dick Dale fan.  However, it certainly is one number that people expect in a live surf set.  We'll have it in a couple of weeks. 

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 09:31:50 PM »
say what you will about the man, but his music kicks mucho buttocks! even his '90s records are killer!
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 09:51:29 PM »
I've seen him live four years in a row here in Fort Collins - he is flat AMAZING live. I hope he makes his way back this year - he's evidently feeling better, as he has concerts booked across California in January and his website indicates he's booking more dates.

His bass player on his last tours was Sam Bolle who plays with Agent Orange - outstanding bass work!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 10:07:24 PM »
To each his own. I'll be charitable and just say my opinion of his music is the same as my opinion of him personally. You couldn't pay me to go see him.

nofi

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 10:37:28 AM »
dick dale is a freak. he claims to have no influences but that is impossible here on earth. there are things other than listening to other music that can influence someone, even if they don't realize it. but i guess anything is possible on planet dick.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 11:34:51 AM »
S' OK.  I never heard anything I liked from the Grateful Dead or a number of other bands that many people love.  For that matter, I've never heard Jerry Seinfeld say anything I thought was funny.  We each have our own tastes.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 12:54:08 PM »
Cool set list!

I'd consider starting with Wipe Out... it's a great show opener, if your drummer can do it without warm-up.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023