Author Topic: AVATAR in 3D!!!  (Read 7984 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: AVATAR in 3D!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 06:57:54 PM »
I've never seen Casablanca in color. Don't plan to either.

Also can't imagine anybody wanting to see Disney's version of A Christmas Carol. What's the bloody point? To prove how proficient they are at creating fakey looking humanoid images? No thanks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 03:15:57 AM »

"Nine chances out of ten we both wind up at a concentration camp, isn't that true Louis?"

"I'm afraid Major Strasser would insist!"

:mrgreen:

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 07:30:13 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 09:41:37 AM »
Re: Casablanca in B & W:

People behind the cameras in those days were artists...they used shading, chiauroscuro (think that's how you spell it) Sfumato...just like a painter....plus the story line is so classic...Bogey is just so cool...

Ingrid is awesome...

This is a film that is a work of art.

I am such a nerd.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 10:37:49 AM »
Hey mods~ Can the last few posts about fokking Casablanca be removed from this discussion about AVATAR?
Thanks

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 11:47:40 AM »
How a-historic you are, Ter!  :o At this point I cannot say whether Avatar will in a few decades be in the same league as Eisenstein's The Battleship Potemkin, Lang's Metropolis, Fleming's Gone with the Wind (not only notable for the then-technical gimmick of color, but for a historic and multi-layered story including a heroine that wasn't always good or nice), Coppola's Godfather or Apocalypse Now. Or Curtiz' Casablanca for that matter whose dialogues and soundbites ("round up the usual suspects", "here's looking at you kid" or "this could be the beginning of a wonderful friendship") have permeated English language in perhaps almost as lasting and deep a manner as "I'll be back!", "Hasta la vista, baby!" and - let me think of another one from Herr Cameron, that most underrated painter of deep characters and memorable dialogue - "brrr, I'm so cold".

The Alien monster in Alien II didn't say all that much really, being very entrenched in an "action not words" mode IIRC.

But I'll gladly give my two Euro cents about Avatar once I've seen it!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 11:54:50 AM by uwe »

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 03:00:38 PM »
Just fokking with you nerds.  :P

Funny how Titanic ended with the Jewel of the Ocean getting thrown in the ocean, huh?
Ooops~ maybe I should have posted a SPOILER alert before saying that. haha  :rolleyes:
That was one thing about that movie that I didn't like.

The ending of AVATAR is much better!

Hopefully your replies here won't be so cynical after you've seen it, Uwe.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 05:36:14 AM »
Sorry, Ter, I was hyphed up from a litigation matter yesterday and some of the cynicism that had filled the pen for the litigation brief crept into my reply to you, it shouldn't have, apologies!

I'll definitely see AVATAR if only for that Na'vi (spelling?) chick that looks to me like she was animated straight after Angela Jolie (with a flattened nose!)! I found the Na'vi foilage world in the short trailers I saw enchanting, I have a soft spot for fantasy animation and was devastated when my pre-teenage children told me one day that they were now "too old to still watch cartoons in the cinema" with me!  ;D

And I didn't think Titanic was bad at all, perhaps the love story didn't work too well between the two. Chucking the jewel into the ocean ... I guess it was to document that her memories weren't about material things, but her greatest love. I simply hated the way Billy Zane was limited in his role as the villain. Not only was he a villain, but he had to be a coward villain too. Sort of like Gladiator, it wasn't enough that the emperor was evil, no he had to kill his father, screw his sister and maim Russel Crowe as the gladiator before dueling him too.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 05:43:36 AM by uwe »

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
No apology necessary. Just joking around.

Tell your kids you're never too old for cartoons!
Take 'em to see Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.
Saw it yesterday & it's a GAS!!! the $3 theater i saw it in doesn't have 3D but it was still real good; better than The Princess & the Frog.

I've been to 2 dozen movies in theaters this year & Avatar is by far the best.
Yeah, I think they did something like the kids in Weird Science (remember that one?) did & put a little bit of this & a little bit of that - sugar n' spice & everything nice to build that tigress! ROWRrrr
I think they threw some Elvis into the leading man's character tooo

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2009, 03:46:19 PM »

I finally got to see this in 3-D last night, what an incredible treat -truly a visual overdose!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2009, 11:48:33 PM »
Phil Kennemore--the bassplayer for Y&T-- loves it too!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 12:10:04 AM »

I really enjoyed it, some of the scenes were rather evocative of the Vietnam war to me, and of U.S. treatment of native americans as well.   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2009, 12:36:04 PM »
I really enjoyed it, some of the scenes were rather evocative of the Vietnam war to me, and of U.S. treatment of native americans as well.   

So, in other words, it's geared towards the 20 year old idealogist...
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2009, 01:12:15 PM »
Saw it last night with the wife and kids - great movie.  Two things afterward:

1) I have a sudden urge to listen to "Tales From Topographic Oceans."

2) My Avatar bass cabs suddenly escalate in "Cool Value" for my son.  :mrgreen:

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2009, 05:39:29 PM »
I saw it too, loved it.  Was Uma Thurman the body inspiration for the alien chicks?
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2010, 08:41:12 AM »
So, in other words, it's geared towards the 20 year old idealogist...

Err... 50 year old... guilty as charged...

I have OCD re certain movies... when I was off sick (man-flu... as bad as it gets...) pre hols so I watched Bladerunner 4 times in a row (all "primary" versions from the 25th anniv. box set) - seen the film a few hundred times. This is the film I have seen the most times... some just hit a nerve, and the bur sticks... "The Shipping News" is another, "Finding Nemo", "Sunshine", "Stardust", "Matrix", Lilo & Stitch", "Bourne" trilogy, "Contact"... there isn't a common thread...

I like Cameron as a director (not as much as R Scott) but did not like his sci-fi style in Terminator, nor the way he transfered it to Aliens (not to say this detracted from the story) - I do like Titanic - family link - one that didn't get lucky - crew, so I was told by my mother...

AVATAR... saw it last Tuesday, 3D, of course... taking Jackie & Roshina next Tuesday (cheap-seats day at our local multi) ...

There are some deliberate "let's show what the technology can do" (golf) type scenes, but so much of it is just... so... jaw... dropping... Yes, the story does imbue more than just a hint of "spiritualism", and American Indigenous Peoples influences, etc. but it works for me... it is going to split opinions (love-it-hate-it-don't-get-it) but it deserves to be seen by anyone who enjoys cinema...

Gonna have a problem with it on the "small screen" though... just so meant for the BIG SCREEEEEEEN...

I suspect it is going to be one of those films where people can say, "I saw it on the big screen" and people will go, "Really...? I so wish I did..."
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...