Author Topic: AVATAR in 3D!!!  (Read 7985 times)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:54:27 AM »
Holy Flying Fokk!

This movie raises the bar of moviemaking so high that even the upcoming Alice In Wonderland pales in comparison & I can say that with some authority cuz I just saw the new trailer for Wonderland in 3D before getting my mind completely blown by James Cameron's new MASTERPIECE!
He sank a boatload haha of money into this one--a quarter billion!!!! & got some unbelievable results.

If you don't go see this in 3D in a big IMAX theater you'll be kickin' yourself in the arse for the rest of your life!
Saw the midnight showing last night & I'm gonna see it again tonight!!
I'll say more about it tomorrow....

Darrol

• View Profile
Re: AVATAR in 3D!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 12:12:16 PM »
For once I decided not to go see a big movie like this at midnight. I just did not want to deal with the crowds but everyone I am hearing from is saying it was great. I will get my friend to go with me sometime in the next couple weeks.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 12:45:03 PM »
So want to see this one... right up my literary ambitions...  8)  8)  8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 10:59:53 PM »
Can't keep from going to see it again! It's like an irresistible magnetic pull!

The leading lady is Zoe Saldana. She is really, really gooood

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 11:28:44 PM »
I have a friend that worked on it for over a year. The technology sounds pretty stellar but I don't know if I want to see yet another movie where the military is made out to be the bad guy, taking advantage of innocent indigenous people.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 04:49:57 AM »
My son saw it was is jaded, and loved it.

I'm going tonight.

Other recent SGI I have seen-
GI Joe & Terminator III had to be the worst movies in recent memory.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 05:57:33 AM »
I want to see "Avatar" too!n Heard it was awesome! I really want to see the "floating islands" which look like Yes' album covers!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 06:13:39 AM »
Saw it. It was an amazing experience. Yes the story was a bit heavy handed and the humans were made to be a little too inhuman, but overall it was just amazing.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 09:31:31 PM »
A planet of tiger people who wear almost nothing on their 10 foot tall & thin perfect anorexic thin waxed hairless airbrushed bodies like supermodels in magazines!

Ridiculous, really.

...but ya gotta luvvit! heh

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 03:47:11 AM »
I am starting to regret my choice to wait to see it. I must wait now until after Christmas mainly because the AMC in my town, one which so conveniently added an IMAX screen a couple years ago, is apart of the mall. Simply I would have trouble finding parking because people seem to wait till the last minute to shop.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 08:51:28 AM »
I have a friend that worked on it for over a year. The technology sounds pretty stellar but I don't know if I want to see yet another movie where the military is made out to be the bad guy, taking advantage of innocent indigenous people.

There was a good bit in the beginning where the male lead points out the difference between the military, and the mercenary like force sent to work with the evil big corporation.

Unfortunately I only got to see it in 2D, as one of the group I went to go see it with had to work the next day, and didn't want to wait an extra 40 minutes to catch the 3D one.  I will be going back next week sometime to catch it I guess. 

I really liked it.  But ... I fear it underlines the modern director's over reliance on digital vistas to wow us, and hopefully distract us from paper-thin plots and cardboard characters.  I told one person that and they thought that meant I hated it, not quite.  Hell, I intend to by the Blu-Ray the moment it comes out.  But I don't want to list my criticisms until all who wanted to see it have. 
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 09:39:58 AM »
I guess it was the that Ed Harris-starring "submarine lifeform-that-looks-like-they-were-lifted-off-Starcastle covers-disregarding-mammary-glands"  

Cameron film in the late eighties that featured any form of deeper character painting. That is just not Cameron and you shouldn't expect it in Avatar either.

I'm not so much worried about Avatar (which I haven't seen but will for curiosity's sake even though it seems to be a simple "bad white men against saintly savages"-story, one of the white guys turns good, surprise, surprise ...), but about the deluge of B-movies in the same vein that will follow it if it is successful (I fear it will be and not end up as another Tron). I saw Disney's A Christmas Carol

in 3D. I find the effect from mildly entertaining to distracting. But then I'm old-fashioned. I didn't want to see colorized Casablanca

either and dread a 3D version of it ...  If a story doesn't work in black & white, don't bother filming it ...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 09:47:33 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 10:58:58 AM »
There was a good bit in the beginning where the male lead points out the difference between the military, and the mercenary like force sent to work with the evil big corporation.

Unfortunately I only got to see it in 2D, as one of the group I went to go see it with had to work the next day, and didn't want to wait an extra 40 minutes to catch the 3D one.  I will be going back next week sometime to catch it I guess. 

I really liked it.  But ... I fear it underlines the modern director's over reliance on digital vistas to wow us, and hopefully distract us from paper-thin plots and cardboard characters.  I told one person that and they thought that meant I hated it, not quite.  Hell, I intend to by the Blu-Ray the moment it comes out.  But I don't want to list my criticisms until all who wanted to see it have. 

Good point. It ain't meant to be unpatriotic. It's really a good social commentary showing how materialists resist "other worldly" phenomena even tho it's presented with scientific explanations.
When Ribisi's character--the Top Dog of the corporation says, "What have you guys been smoking out there? ha ha haa" it echoes a thousand authoritarian figures we've all heard try to shoot us down & keep us in line & negate our positive vibrations & stifle experimentation & exploration our whole lives.

Too bad your friend couldn't wait so you could all see it in 3D. You're smart to plan to go back & see it in 3D. You'll love it!
I think the digital effects, as great as they are, still take a backseat to the plot & characters: after all, James Cameron is known for his storytelling & characters as much as technological advancements in moviemaking.
It's Zoe Saldana's acting abilities that pulled me back for the 2nd viewing!

Those of us who are loving the increasing possibilities in moviemaking will wanna get a 3D tv ASAP. They're the Main Event at the Consumer Electronics Show next month!
I want one!  :o

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 12:46:29 PM »
+1 on Casablanca in "glorious black and white"...my favorite love story. Ingrid Bergman was such a beautiful woman.

I am such a nerd.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 02:08:24 PM by patman »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 04:59:51 PM »
Casablanca is just one of those films I keep missing (mostly gone zzzzzzzz 1/2 way thru...) but keep meaning to see...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...