Author Topic: Reloading a Marshall slope cab... advice requested...  (Read 12469 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Reloading a Marshall slope cab... advice requested...
« on: December 05, 2009, 02:29:18 PM »
Right Gentlemen... I need some advice...

I have just about got clearance to blow £200 of my bonus on a new set of speakers for my 1970 beaten-to-death Marshall slope...

Presently loaded with 3 30w Celstions that are still functional but I would like a new set of something in there before looking for a regular gig in the new-year...

The amp is a 100w DR103"S" so it is switchable between 50w and 100w...

I know Scott has advised Eminence speakers (what type, Scott) and having heard the sound he gets, along with a similar vintage Hiwatt...

Any thoughts...?

Can the cab handle a 200w speaker load...?

I also like the sound that Mark and Rob get but their setup (8x10) is significantly different...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Reloading a Marshall slope cab... advice requested...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 05:10:16 PM »
Are we talking 12s or 15s ? I am using these in my Marshal 2x15 300w each 16 ohm. http://www.eminence-speaker.com/bassguitar_speaker_detail.asp?model=legendca154&speaker_size=15&SUB_CAT_ID=5 I like them for the price. Hope that helps, I have celestions in my 4x12 and don't really care for them, when I have the dough I'll put Eminence  12s in there to.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 04:59:50 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 01:15:20 AM »
EVM12L's are probably the best sounding speakers you could put in there, but they're pretty expensive, almost twice your budget. If you want the same sound on the cheap, look for a first generation Line 6 4x12 guitar cab and rob it. The speakers they used were Eminence-made clones of the EVM12L.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 03:28:37 AM by Psycho Bass Guy »

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 06:14:25 AM »
Bang for the buck Eminence is really tough to beat. I've become a big fan of their stuff over the years .
Like I mentioned before, you can probably sell your  Celestions on ebay to a vintage freak (blown or good) and get enough to buy whatever you want and have some left over.
Rick

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 02:54:15 PM »
I've had that in mind since you mentioned that, Rick...

Line 6 now on my search list... thanks PBG...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 02:55:05 PM »
EVM12L's are probably the best sounding speakers you could put in there, but they're pretty expensive, almost twice your budget. If you want the same sound on the cheap, look for a first generation Line 6 4x12 guitar cab and rob it. The speakers they used were Eminence-made clones of the EVM12L.

Hope they don't weigh as much as EVM12Ls ;D
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 09:09:31 PM »
EVM-12L Classic:
• 200W Power handling
• Frequency response: 80Hz – 7kHz (at -10 dB down)

• Large 16lbs (7.3kg) magnet allows for higher efficiency,
better cooling and maximum output
Louder bass!.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 05:52:42 AM »
That low end rolloff is high on paper, however, since you're loading it in a sealed cab, you can boost the low end without the fear of overshoot or speaker crease that you get with ported bass cabs. that's how Bag End subs work.  Besides, that cab isn't going to have any real output below 60Hz or so anyway with ANY speaker. I don't think those specs are for the actual old EVM12L anyway, but the new "reissue" model targeted towards guitar players. The original was for PA use.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 08:19:13 AM »
OUCH...!

Can-not find a single EVM speaker sub £100 in the UK...!

How good/bad are Celsetion G12 412 AVT 50w...? watching a set of 4 sitting at £40 (approx $65) (one of those "virtually unused" type of sales where they upgraded to copies of my present speakers, which I only have 3 of...)

There are a couple of 10 year old BNIB G12H 30w for just short of £80 (approx $237) each, too, which are similar to mine - 2+2 with a spare, keeping my "vintage" speakers...?

another idea - 2 G12K 100's similar in price to the above - split and seal the cab to house the 2 differing speakers... run 2 of the existing 30w speakers with the Marshall 50w "smallbox" and the 2x100w from the Hiwatt...?

still searching for ideas...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 08:53:40 AM »
Fane Sovereign FA1031 or FA1051 125 or 300w respectively... same idea, or am I losing the plot here...?

Still researching...

nearly forgot... there are a pair of Fender/Eminence from a Fender Twin approx 5 years old "unused" - looks like a good price... "split" cab idea again...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 09:18:08 AM »
Maybe try Carvin PA Speakers?

I use their 15 inch woofer--it's a Celestion, and sounds o-k--nothing to write home about. Was reasonably priced @ (I think) $69 when I bought it--they go "on sale" a couple of times a year.

It will take everything a Combo 300 will give it, at least until the speaker protection kicks in...I just watch the light on the amp, and if it starts to get absolutely pegged, I back off the volume a little. I could probably kill it with the amp if I did something stupid, but as long as I play sensibly, it does fine, no distortion. Not a particularly "tight" sound either, but it works for me.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 10:58:13 AM »
I would still take a look at Eminence and see what they have in a similar power rating. You could go with a slightly higher power rated speaker because Hiwatt watts are bigger than other watts  ;) , and Eminence speakers seem to respond pretty well  even if you're a little under amped.
I've got an older Eminence 15" cab and a newer Eminence 2 12" neo cab. I love them both and the neos a nice and lightweight too. I play with a lot of bottom and they really deliver. They have a nice tone for bass like the old CTS stuff only they are capable handling  a whole lot more power /volume/ bottom.

It's largely a matter of taste, but the newer Celestions just don't get me all that excited and they're not cheap either.

Rick

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 01:02:19 PM »
How good/bad are Celsetion G12 412 AVT 50w...?

...all but useless. Celestion made good bass speakers for Trace Elliot, but other than those, you don't want one for bass.

another idea - 2 G12K 100's similar in price to the above - split and seal the cab to house the 2 differing speakers... run 2 of the existing 30w speakers with the Marshall 50w "smallbox" and the 2x100w from the Hiwatt...?

If you can keep track of it, that's fine, but two different amps into one cab is a recipe for disaster if you're not around to hook them up or if someone screws with your cab onstage.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 04:14:05 PM »
Ken, I would peruse this site - it's a wealth of info, even if they're out of your locale. They're very helpful, and might be willing to answer a few hypothetical questions for you. They can use their software to come up with the proper speaker for your box. Who knows, maybe shipping would be semi-affordable.
http://www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm

There's also Weber, but the same problem exists with the logistics...
http://www.webervst.com/
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 10:40:03 AM »
Got that info, PBG... Those "budget" replacements are off the list, thanks... Unlikely that I'll be working in much more than self-roadieing in the near future, anyway, so advice re "split" noted and aware... thanks again...

Researching that link thanks, Billy...

Re Eminence, Rick... sent a question to the guy selling the Fender Eminence "spares" about what wattage they are and awaiting answers... still a possible for my "split" idea...

I just love a tight budget...  :sad:

Last night of nights and off tomorrow - gotta get those cameras up tonight or it will mean another night, which will NOT please the boss... :o