Author Topic: Talk about silly money for a Precision...! 1959...?  (Read 12217 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Re: Talk about silly money for a Precision...! 1959...?
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 12:31:44 AM »
Back to the '59 P... This was just posted on the FDP:

"On the provenance issue, Rick (who owns the shop - New Kings Road Guitars) is a personal friend of Gregs, and I have personally seen him in the shop twice. So I guess it does, or did, belong to him."

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2010, 03:11:55 AM »
Still silly money, Ilan... and more importantly, no provenance...

Here's a thought for you regarding this; post it once I've rebuilt her, lie a bit about the spares...

"A mahogany amber-cherry sunburst Peter Cook Custom styled after a Gibson Thunderbird with a through Fender Precision "D" profile neck, made in 1972 from spare Gibson parts salvaged from a collection of original Gibson Thunderbirds and others owned by John Albert Entwistle, by his personal luthier/bass technician; all metal parts gold plated, in a luxurious custom made mock snow leopard fur lined case - Mr Entwistle, not known for being overtly sentimental about instruments blah, blah, blah... offers over £10,000...?" add pictures here; big ebay page...

No provenance, but "WHO" would be silly enough to believe me knowing the link between the two people and knowing their "WHO" history..?

ps - this is a joke...  :P no I'm not planning to sell her...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2010, 08:12:03 AM »
Back to the '59 P... This was just posted on the FDP:

"On the provenance issue, Rick (who owns the shop - New Kings Road Guitars) is a personal friend of Gregs, and I have personally seen him in the shop twice. So I guess it does, or did, belong to him."

That doesn't convince me. Makes me wonder why his "personal friend" (if that's true) hasn't vouched for it in writing.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 04:10:06 AM »
When I was in Gruhn's in Nashville a couple of years ago, there was a 57 Precision, sunburst with the anodized gold pickguard for the "bargain" price of $25k hanging on the bottom rack in front. I've played Fenders that old before, but not with price tags that high hanging on them. This was downstairs and not the vaunted "upstairs" where the elite get to pick from instruments worth more than my workplace.  I say 'workplace' because a television station is moderately valuable and selling my house wouldn't even buy a pre-war Martin.

Speaking of old Martins, the day I was in there, there was some guy who looked half-drunk, ham-handedly beating the living shit out of a moderately priced $100k model, barefoot sitting in a rocking chair. I can only assume he was a doctor or lawyer living out his Eric Clapton fantasy and had probably dropped over seven figures in there over the years to get to abuse the guitars like that. This guy sucked so bad, I'm a better guitar player than he was!

I did get my Waterstone 12'er there that day though. What got my attention was the headstock, which is over a foot long and covered in tuners, and I got curious. When I saw a "normal" price on it, my wife said I should try it out just to see how awful it would sound, especially since I'm a fingers only player and multistrings are typically pick basses.

Their test room was a closet under a staircase full of various new Fender amps and the usual never-selling used junk guitar amps, not a bass amp in the lot, even a practice one (nor was there one on the sales floor unless you count tweed Bassmans .) I plugged into a Fender Concert reissue and began playing. Two minutes later, my wife said, "You're buying that." But man did it ever freak me out to have to walk by that $25k P-bass, which was kind of in the way no matter where you walked, carrying that huge Waterstone. I was afraid i was going to hit it or knock it off the rack.

...and on the subject of provenance, Gruhn's is the ONLY stocking dealer for Waterstone basses in the world because Tom Petersson is a regular there. He lives in Nashville. They had two 12er's, one new and one used, but both for the same price. I tried out them both and the used one was better and had a better color, green over flame maple as opposed to the "bad Les Paul cherrywannabe" on the other. After I bought the used one, the guy at the counter told me who it had belonged to previously. Guess who?

Tom had only let it go because it was 34" and he didn't like the extra tension, so I have a Tom Petersson signature bass that used to belong to Tom Petersson. Man I need to get some Cheap Trick vinyl!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2010, 06:33:24 AM »
 Ah the 57 ;D. I've got an old buddy who picked up a perfect....... and I do mean perfect 57 , for about $200 back in the late 70s. It was a birthday present for a kid  in 1957, who had no interest in music and never played it. The kid grew up to be a lawyer who represented my friend in a case , they got to talking about stuff and he ended up buying his useless old bass that had never been played. The Fender polishing cloth that came with it did not have so much as a speck of dust on it. I lost touch with my old bud but I'm sure he's still got it. God knows I tried to buy that thing from him a hundred times or more. I got tired of getting laughed at :-[  That is probably the worst case of unsatisfied lust I've ever had :sad: I loved that freakin' bass.

Rick

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2010, 07:02:12 AM »
Tom had only let it go because it was 34" and he didn't like the extra tension, so I have a Tom Petersson signature bass that used to belong to Tom Petersson.

Pictures... you know the rules...  ;D
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 12:48:33 PM »
PBG, cool story! I wouldn't mind seeing pics as well. I had a 1rst issue dark cherry Waterstone 12 a while back. I only sold it because they announced the second series and I wanted the thinner nut width, but I never did get that one. One of these days...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010, 10:21:57 AM »
PBG, your wife must be wonderful...never have I heard a woman encourage GAS.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2010, 10:49:14 AM »
17 basses, 37 amps, 19 cabs, 3 guitars, tons of PA and recording gear...

...and I take ballroom dance lessons.  :mrgreen:

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2010, 10:59:47 AM »
He's out...!  ;)

(found the posting... 8))
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 11:06:20 AM by Kenny Five-O »

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2010, 11:13:40 AM »
You asked for an explanation. That's it.  :P

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2010, 11:15:50 AM »
1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1... (cue Strauss...)  ;D

(been there, danced that...  :P)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2010, 11:27:15 AM »
Oh, it's not just waltz. There's rhumba, tango, swing, push-pull, foxtrot, and more. There are dozens more. Those are just the ones I get to have fun with.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2010, 12:15:06 PM »
let's not forget the Gay Gordons...  :gay: